PDA

View Full Version : is it o late to seed in South Jersey

jiggz
10-30-2008, 08:23 PM
im right over the bridge from phila.. a customer asked me today.. and i really am not sure..Ive always just cut but im looking into getting started in some other stuff, seeding airation yadda yadda cause alot of people have been asking me recently

Turboguy
10-31-2008, 08:21 AM
You are getting close to the end. I am in Western PA and try to have my seeding done by Nov 1st. I have seeded as late as Nov 15th but consider that risky. The other option is to wait another month and seed and it will come up in the spring.

Whitey4
11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I think it's too late. If you seed now, it's really a dormant seeding, which means no crabgrass pre-emergent herbicide in the spring. CB germiniates at soil temps of 55 degrees.... grass at 60.

I REFUSE to do either dormant or spring seedings. The weeds just go nuts, and no one is happy. Get the weeds controlled next year (sub it out if not certified) and renovate in the very early fall next year.

daveyo
11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Normally you would be at the end, but I also live in S. Jersey and the forecast for the next two weeks are high 50's to low 60's, lows are in the high 40's, so you'll be fine. Soil temps won't drop faster than the surrounding air anyhow. My seed germinates 5-14 days, the only thing would be a decent root system for the winter but I never had a problem using a starter fert.

lawns Etc
11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Im in the Mullica Hill area which seems like the same area you are in IMO its too late the low 30s at night (its 33 right now at 9 pm) make it slow coming in and the roots have a hard time in the winter. I would seed March 1st and use starter fert with it and put down Pre Emerg. April 15 and June 15 both Dimension and you should be fine.

Turfdoctor1
11-14-2009, 10:46 PM
accidental post