PDA

View Full Version : Filling in a water feature...

Sweet Tater
10-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I have a customer that has an old broken water fall and pond in her back yard. She doesn't want it as a water feature anymore, but instead of removing it (thank God, its huge and all rock) she wasn't to turn it into a flower garden. please corect me if my thinking is wrong, but I was thinking.
1 puncture the liner in many places for drainage.
2 fill half way with some type of sand.
3 fill the rest with top soil.
4 fert and work it till sping, then begin planting.

Think this will work? It would make a very nice formal flower garden.
plust this has to be done all by hand. the back yard is more of a courtyard and you can just get a wheel barrow in it. The water fall is about 6ft tall. The pond is about2-3ft deep. 8ft wide and about 15-20 long. I haen't done exact measuments yet and I am still trying to figure out how to do this right.

M&N Maintenance
10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
I have done this before and I wish I would have removed the liner. It just retains to much water.

Team-Green L&L
10-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Removing the liner is the best way to go for removal for the very reason that M&N referenced. Even with heavy puncturing, the drainage is still slowed to the point that it is likely to become an issue in the future.

dbduensing
10-31-2008, 06:52 AM
You idea is a good one but here are a couple issues to deal with:
1) whatever you put inside the pond as fill will most likely experience some sort of settling over the first year or two. In determining the best fill material consider this. You don't want to run a compactor over fill material that a garden is suppose to use for rooting in but on the other hand it will be disappointing if a flurishing garden begins to settle and require continuos filling anf leveling.
2) puncturing and cutting the liner in several low areas is strongly recommended. Also the liner along the upper perimeter should be removed if possible because this line will most likely get in the way in future gardening

XStream Aquatics
10-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Have done the fill method a few times myself. Yeah cut as much liner as possible. We fill in the hole with some of the pond rocks enough to put topsoil on and grow grass. We have had to come back about 6 months later to top off settling.

Sweet Tater
11-01-2008, 05:19 PM
thanks guys. I'll take your suggestions and cut out as much of the liner as I can. We will be filling it in, in just a few weeks, but not planting till spring, so it will have plenty of time to settle and refill it before the flowers.
Thanks alot.