PDA

View Full Version : Went to a RB auction today

ksss
10-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I went to the Belgrade, MT. auction today. My first priority was this

PSI grader. I have an opportunity to bid some large private road maintaince and it would be very help on some other projects. Problem was it sold for 42K which was more than I was willing to give.

http://www.rbauction.com/auction_catalog/catalog_results.jsp?auction_id=2008327&industry_id=1&class_cd=MGR&vc_make=PSI&Search_type=Other

Second priority was this Link Belt. I was willing to give 50 or just over and it sold for 61K great condition.

http://www.rbauction.com/common_scripts/gallery_full_view.jsp?auction_id=2008327&industry_id=1&equip_id=2129751&Search_results=All&Search_type=Other&img_num=9&page_type=0

As always some things went too high and there were some good buys. The interesting thing and the reason for posting was, I did not see the head in the sand, the sky is falling attitude. If the way people were bidding is an indication, people are still willing to spend money. There was a lot of items that were sold via internet so it was no just a local phenom.

bobcat_ron
10-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Those RB Auctions are just nuts, I've seen ADT's go for less value than the rubber they ride on, if there was a Takeuchi in an Auction in Scurrey, I'd bid on it.

Construct'O
10-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Cat is getting into the auction business.There is going to be one of their first at Des Moines,Ia. Nov.12. www.catauctions.com

There is a bunch of McAninch equipment listed.Heard rumors they are having problem,but a rumor for now.Funny thing is the amount of their stuff listed???? Time will tell.

Some stuff you well be able to get extended warranty.Several (9)Mack dumps are selling.Hopefully i'll be working,if not i would go just to kick tires:):usflag:

Gravel Rat
10-31-2008, 02:41 AM
The internet bids are coming from overseas. New Zealand seems to be buying up alot of equipment. They bought 70% of the Madill equipment auctioned off.

You win some and loose some good deals. It all depends on what time of the year it is. Winter auctions things go cheap spring auctions are not too bad summer auctions things go high.

coopers
10-31-2008, 07:45 PM
KSSS, is that linkbelt a "160" zero tail swing? Looks kinda like the short school bus. haha. You really need a zero tail swing machine?

Mowingman
10-31-2008, 07:57 PM
I went to a big auction of stuff from a guy who was a dirt contractor and a rancher. There were less than 100 bid numbers given out. Everything was old, but it was all in great condition. It all went cheap, except the two items I wanted, of course. Here are a few examples;
- Versatile 4x4 tractor, about 150HP $4200.00
- mid 70's Cat D9 dozer totally rebuilt $16,000
- Late 60's Cat D8H dozer 12,000.00
- Komatsu D20 dozer, really nice $7500.00
- 2 Linkbelt LS4300 excavators, No bids
- 2 Michigan 30CY scrapers, no bids
- Mack R model, tandem truck tractor $6500.00
The only things that went high were the 30 or 40 old classic, unrestored cars, and all the gooseneck trailers

ksss
11-01-2008, 02:39 PM
KSSS, is that linkbelt a "160" zero tail swing? Looks kinda like the short school bus. haha. You really need a zero tail swing machine?

It is a 225 sized machine. I rented a CASE 225 which had a coupler, thumb and a big ass bucket it that machine at full extension was rock solid with a full bucket. It was unbelievably stable. I really liked running it. This LinkBelt is the same machine. It had 1300 hours. I also like the near zero tail. As far as zero tail and needing it. I look at from the other side, and that is why do I need a conv. machine? Other than these being heavier than conv. 210 and cost more to purchase new, there are few reasons not have one. The cab is a little smaller but I found it was still comfortable. What I like about running they machines is the fact that you never have to worry about where you tail is at. Dirt that is a nice thing on demo jobs it is even nicer. I have not stopped pondering this machine, thinking I should have gone a little higher. It was a great deal. I am sure as Winter takes hold and the work remains slow that more machines are going to come up for sale.

coopers
11-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Huh, I see what you're thinking. Valid points. That was going to be my next question was the stability but you answered it. I see more and more of these being used back here in WA. 135's, 225's etc.

Scag48
11-02-2008, 01:50 AM
The zero tails are gaining popularity in the larger weight classes. Company I worked for has 7 138's, 5 or 6 228's, and a couple 308 Komatsus along with a dozen 120's, 10 200's and a 4 300's, so it's a fairly mixed fleet currently between traditional and zero tail. I imagine that if there was a zero tail machine in the 40 ton class, they'd buy them, but they don't exist. I guess they've completely stopped buying traditional 200's and 120's. When I go back to work for them come spring I'm hoping we'll have a couple more zero tails to trade out some of our older 200's. It's really nice not having to worry about the ass of your machine when things get a little cramped.

Gravel Rat
11-02-2008, 03:40 AM
I don't like zero tail swing excavators I ran 158 Komatsu I didn't like it give me a conventional swing machine. Another contractor has a couple 25 ton Komatsu zero tail the operators hate the machines not stable enough.

You can have all the weight you want in the undercarriage you still need the leverage out back ie counterweight.

ksss
11-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't like zero tail swing excavators I ran 158 Komatsu I didn't like it give me a conventional swing machine. Another contractor has a couple 25 ton Komatsu zero tail the operators hate the machines not stable enough.

You can have all the weight you want in the undercarriage you still need the leverage out back ie counterweight.

There is a company here that has two 228's and one 308. The 228's they poured lead shot into the hollow counter weight. Fixed the problem. They were light on the ass. The Sumitomo machine has none of those issues believe me. Rock solid. Unless you looked you would have no idea your in a zero tail machine from its performance.

ksss
11-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I forgot to mention that I bought my first piece of JD equipment in my adult life at the sale. A 78" long lip/ low pro dirt bucket. Good shape, no cutting edge though for $500.00 I needed a wider bucket for the VTS project. I will for the first time enter the JD store (ag side sells the skid steers here) on Monday to pickup a cutting edge. The Allitec bucket I wanted was 1600 plus shipping. Couldn't see spending that.

Gravel Rat
11-02-2008, 06:45 PM
All we have around here is Komatsu zero tailswing machines one contractor had couple Case conventional excavators but switched to Komatsu. The zero tailswing I used to operate was a Komatsu.

stuvecorp
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I am a big fan of the zero/near-zero machines. For some jobs it really is nice when space is tight.

Construct'O
11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I forgot to mention that I bought my first piece of JD equipment in my adult life at the sale. A 78" long lip/ low pro dirt bucket. Good shape, no cutting edge though for $500.00 I needed a wider bucket for the VTS project. I will for the first time enter the JD store (ag side sells the skid steers here) on Monday to pickup a cutting edge. The Allitec bucket I wanted was 1600 plus shipping. Couldn't see spending that.

Don't feel bad!!!!!! I bought my first Bobcat bucket also,but will be going to New Holland dealer:):usflag:

dirtybiz
11-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Ksss, i really wanted to go to that sale, but we were on our big last push up in b.sky for the season as the weather was beautiful that week. I heard their was a 06 or 07 dodge mega cab, cummins, 50k, that went for 14,500??? I heard exaclty what you said some things went high, some were good deals. I wanted to see what the skid steer rock bucket, the new pressure washers, one of the pickups, and the cat 305 mini-x w/100 some hours on it went for? I am sure it was a beautiful day for it.

Their must have been some deals, because on my way home that night i saw a guy pulling out of Valley trailer sales with a brand new flatbed gooseneck trailer (from idaho) he had just bought. I followed him into town where i later saw him load up a mini-x and a pickup! Probably better off not going anyhow, probably would have been tempted to buy something i don't really need!

ksss
11-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Ksss, i really wanted to go to that sale, but we were on our big last push up in b.sky for the season as the weather was beautiful that week. I heard their was a 06 or 07 dodge mega cab, cummins, 50k, that went for 14,500??? I heard exaclty what you said some things went high, some were good deals. I wanted to see what the skid steer rock bucket, the new pressure washers, one of the pickups, and the cat 305 mini-x w/100 some hours on it went for? I am sure it was a beautiful day for it.

Their must have been some deals, because on my way home that night i saw a guy pulling out of Valley trailer sales with a brand new flatbed gooseneck trailer (from idaho) he had just bought. I followed him into town where i later saw him load up a mini-x and a pickup! Probably better off not going anyhow, probably would have been tempted to buy something i don't really need!

I heard about that Cummins. I missed the pickups going through. The Komatsu PC78 and the Cat 305C both brought in the low 40's. The 305 was like brand new. It was a great day. On the way home we went up to Big Sky townsite and stopped at the Wrap shack. The place is like a ghost town compared to same time last year.

coopers
11-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Found this in MI for sale. Pretty good price for a 160.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6466054&GUID=052800831B1044598B84B2638EE2CAD8

ksss
11-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Found this in MI for sale. Pretty good price for a 160.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6466054&GUID=052800831B1044598B84B2638EE2CAD8

That is a good price, the machine looks very clean. Looks like its had some new paint at least on the stick (the hyd. lines coming off the steel lines from the boom to the stick should be black).

Gravel Rat
11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
The whole house has had a 5 gallon rebuild.

Gotta be suspicious of machines that have been repainted.

bobcat_ron
11-06-2008, 07:42 PM
No cup holder!!!!!

ksss
11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
No cup holder!!!!!

Ha, your right might be worth getting a B series just for the cup holder.

coopers
11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes new paint is something to be suspicious about but sometimes it's just because the person wants to paint it. I like machines to look good, so I would be repainting a machine too if it needed it. Take a good look at it, use it, make sure it's good and thank the guy for painting it if it turns out to be a good machine.

Scag48
11-06-2008, 10:29 PM

That could be a $10K option, easy! :laugh:

bobcat_ron
11-06-2008, 11:03 PM

Link Belt/CASE lost some customers due to no cup holders in their machines, you'd be surprised, a local salesman from Parker Pacific lost a deal on 4 machines just because of that reason.

Gravel Rat
11-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I'am not surprised because people in Vancouver/Lowermainland are SOOO addicted to Tim Hortons and Tar Bucks coffee the cup holder has to hold a cup that holds a gallon and half.

Case excavators were never that popular they still are not. Case Rubber tired hoes on the other hand are bigger sellers.

stuvecorp
11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
I don't think the Tak we had had a cup holder. The Mustang dosen't either but I'll live. Come to think of it, I don't think any machine I've owned had a cup holder.

Gravel Rat
11-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Komatsu has a cup holder in their excavators I used the one in the 158 I used to run. I don't drink coffee but I do drink pop. Used to drive the boss nuts leaving my empty pop can in the machine.

Its hard to run a excavator with a can bettween your legs spilling pop on the seat.

stuvecorp
11-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Komatsu has a cup holder in their excavators I used the one in the 158 I used to run. I don't drink coffee but I do drink pop. Used to drive the boss nuts leaving my empty pop can in the machine.

Its hard to run a excavator with a can between your legs spilling pop on the seat.

That is one of my top ten peeves, I hate picking up after people that leave stuff in trucks/equipment. Use a bottle, at least you can screw the cap on and not spill.

Scag48
11-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Ah cupholders. The one in the D6R I was running a month ago I wasn't impressed with. Not deep enough, nor wide enough, and when I'd really have to get moving in a hurry to get out of the way of trucks, damn near anything would tip over, that 6 would jostle just about anything including teeth from their proper place.

Junior M
11-07-2008, 07:12 AM
We used to critisize machines now were critisizing the cupholders;) on machines? Wow :laugh:

bobcat_ron
11-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Hitachi and Cat excavator cup holders are heated using the air flow from the heater...........mmmmmmmmmm, nice.
If I hadn't gotten rid of my Bobcat, I would have made it my personal mission to install a cup holder in that damn thing.

Junior M
11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Hitachi and Cat excavator cup holders are heated using the air flow from the heater...........mmmmmmmmmm, nice.
If I hadn't gotten rid of my Bobcat, I would have made it my personal mission to install a cup holder in that damn thing.
Remember you can never have enough cup holders ;)

That's a good idea for the cup holder, until your heater goes out :wall

coopers
11-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Well all I know is Deere/Hitachi have 'em so...