PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat with steel tracks?

all ferris
10-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Check out this picture I found on Berco's website. The very first pic you see at the top of the page is a Bobcat with what looks to be steel tracks???? The track frame looks different too.

Is this something to come?

http://www.bercoamerica.com/t-machines.aspx#MiniExcavators

bobcat_ron
10-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Maybe it's that bigger T380 everyone thinks Brokeback broke Bobcat will come out with.

Junior M
10-31-2008, 08:11 PM
It has the step so it is atleast a t300 or t320..

SiteSolutions
10-31-2008, 11:59 PM
I emailed them to see what a set for a T-190 would run. I will let y'all know what they say...

Bleed Green
11-01-2008, 01:51 AM
What is different about the track frame, looks the same to me?

minimax
11-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Berco had a steel track to fit a Deere CT332 at the conexpo this year.
They say that there is a steel track coming for the CT322 later.
minimax

RentalGuy
11-01-2008, 03:34 PM
interesting.

bobcat_ron
11-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Berco had a steel track to fit a Deere CT332 at the conexpo this year.
They say that there is a steel track coming for the CT322 later.
minimax

Expect a miserable ride, heavier machine weight, more power needed to turn that weight, less ground speed and a higher price tag. Every major component on the undercarriage needs to be changed, front/rear idlers, rollers, sprockets and tensioners, that's a hefty price tag. We will see who's machine lasts the longest with the harsh ride they give!

ksss
11-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Expect a miserable ride, heavier machine weight, more power needed to turn that weight, less ground speed and a higher price tag. Every major component on the undercarriage needs to be changed, front/rear idlers, rollers, sprockets and tensioners, that's a hefty price tag. We will see who's machine lasts the longest with the harsh ride they give!

All that is probably true. However if you compare the large CTLs from a hp standpoint even the weaker sisters in the large CTL's have more hp and in some cases more torque than what is offered in CATs D3, Deere 450 and Case 550 dozers (in some cases up to 20 hp more). Granted the dozers are built heavier than a CTL, but dozers are also single function machines. I would say they already have the power to pull steel tracks.

For those in the right application steel tracks would make a lot sense, especially the mulcher guys who seldom cross improved surfaces which is the biggest draw back to these on a CTL. Over the long term steel tracks would likely be cheaper for many guys, especially the MTL operators. As far as uncomfortable to run, yea I would guess they would be rough riding, but if your on soft ground it would not likely be that bad espiecally combined with the lower ground speeds that would follow the steel tracks.

dozerman21
11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
All that is probably true. However if you compare the large CTLs from a hp standpoint even the weaker sisters in the large CTL's have more hp and in some cases more torque than what is offered in CATs D3, Deere 450 and Case 550 dozers (in some cases up to 20 hp more). Granted the dozers are built heavier than a CTL, but dozers are also single function machines. I would say they already have the power to pull steel tracks.

For those in the right application steel tracks would make a lot sense, especially the mulcher guys who seldom cross improved surfaces which is the biggest draw back to these on a CTL. Over the long term steel tracks would likely be cheaper for many guys, especially the MTL operators. As far as uncomfortable to run, yea I would guess they would be rough riding, but if your on soft ground it would not likely be that bad espiecally combined with the lower ground speeds that would follow the steel tracks.

I think it could be a disaster if they just replace the rubber with steel. There are many factors to consider with adding that extra weight and traction. You're right about the higher HP, but HP isn't as important on a dozer as a skid or CTL. Since dozers are built from the ground up to support a steel U/C, they can take the abuse.

Ron makes good points. It will take a lot of power to turn those. Even on the large frame, high HP CTL's that I've ran, they bogg down some in a hard turn, not to mention mud or soft dirt. I think my biggest concern would be internal parts like the entire drive system.

I think it be a sweet machine to have, but I would want it to be a machine that was made for steel tracks, one that can support the kind of tractive effort it would achieve.

ksss
11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I think the grouser configuration would factor heavily into the design. A single grouser set up would not likely work as well, causing too much lock up, however a triple grouser similiar to an excavator type track might be a good compromise between traction yet allowing enough slip to prevent damage. A triple grouser would allow the machine to counter rotate easily. No doubt some heavier components would needed but it would seem achievable. Super Trac has converted a 287B to run on steel, so it must not be too difficult.

Digdeep
11-02-2008, 01:24 PM

The larger CTLs do have as much or more engine hp and torque compared to the smaller dozers but I suspect that the big difference is the strength of the components and even more so the gear reduction of the final drives. Bobcat does not even use a planetary and the John Deere CT332 as an example probably wouldn't have the right gear ratios in the final drives to handle the extra weight that steel tracks and the other needed components would add. I'm no dozer expert but dozers think that the machines would be underpowered compared to the small dozers. I do like the idea though.