PDA

View Full Version : Work or sell?

thegreek
11-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Ive been having this problem with all my guys never being good enough. It took me and one other worker 4 hrs to get about 350 sq ft of 30 yr old lawn out. thick stuff had to go over it twice with the pick but we get a dump load i drop him off and I dump it. The next day I go over the contract with home owner we sign talk for a bit and I decide no rain ill work by myself for a bit anyways I got the same amount done in about 2:45 minutes by myself! Keep in mind I don't stop to fix my gloves or back brace or tie shoes or start screwing off halfway through the day. Anyways im about to change my company to a new one and rehire at 10/hr instead of 15/hr since its been like this forever and I have just learned to figure it into cost. The work we are doing is sod tearout-prep-installs.
My question is Do I leave all these guys in the field and get 2 jobs done a day without me or with me checking in while marketing or neighborhood walking , or do I keep on there asses and get 3 done a day and hope my girlfriend going door to door will bring enough jobs.

P.S. I hate my workers and they whine more then my 1-1/2 yr old son. They have the balls to demand new gloves everday and wont even clean there older ones, They destroy equipment lie about it and even though they have done it for over a couple years they still stand there like ******s and ask what do I do next? Maybe the worst thing is last time we worked they wanted to stop when it started to sprinkle not rain but as soon as the rain came I told them to rap it up and all I got was whining and them thinking there gonna tell me they dont want to work in the rain anymore. Im sorry i have to list the worst thing since im venting. they use to pick each other up and come to work now they all live together and dont want to dirty there piece of **** cars so they make me pic them up and want me to pay them from when they leave there door. Im a union guy personally so ive tried to be mroe then fair but this **** is too much! Oh yeah and gaterades and free lunches for days over 8 and you wont believe what i hear on 5 + hr days.

BrandonV
11-01-2008, 03:56 PM
are your employees union too?

CALandscapes
11-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Sounds to me like you need to find some new employees...

Isobel
11-01-2008, 06:47 PM
you need non union workers. I would never put up with any of that nonsense from anyone who worked for me.

ARGOS
11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
they make me pic them up and want me to pay them from when they leave there door.

I had an employee that I used to pick up and drop off. On my way into work every day I would need to pick up a few things OR drop off a few things. I told him if I was giving him a lift then he would have to go on errands unpaid. He said I had "incombured" (sp?) his time.

Easy solution. I didn't pick him up any more and told him where the job site was. He changed his mind quick.

I agree that when an employee's time is engaged for work fine, but there are still reasonable expectations. Gatorades and lunch are great incentives for extra days, but ARE perks and my employees show gratitude when I order out pizza.

Our rules are pretty set. 3 lates and you get a day off. 2 no show days a week off. No uniform no work. Drugs or Alcohol on job, gone. I am polite and professional, but clear.

ARGOS
11-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Oh and by the way we have a short (8 pages big print) employee manual. All employees sign manual receipt form with "at will" employee statement. Makes things cut and dry. I don't even have to say anything, they usually know ahead of time. They make some jokes, but shows they get it.

I offer it in Spanish too.

kyfireman2004
11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Toro dingo........

bigclawnman
11-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Would there be any way to get a copy of your employee manual. Have thought about starting one, but have had a hard time to put one together. Please let me know. Thanks.

C.

Oh and by the way we have a short (8 pages big print) employee manual. All employees sign manual receipt form with "at will" employee statement. Makes things cut and dry. I don't even have to say anything, they usually know ahead of time. They make some jokes, but shows they get it.

I offer it in Spanish too.

ARGOS
11-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Toro dingo........

What if employees run the mini skid?

ARGOS
11-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Would there be any way to get a copy of your employee manual. Have thought about starting one, but have had a hard time to put one together. Please let me know. Thanks.

C.

I can pm one to you. Nothing special. But templates are nice. I would assume there are free ones on-line.

I will try and remember Monday when I am in the office.

clcare2
11-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Earlier this year I made a guys hands bleed, when he had to wheel barrow 45 yards of mulch around. I fired him for working to slow.

My guys get twice as much done alone than they do when I am scheduled with them.
Why?? Cause I have better things to do than shovel dirt. I have to answer 50 phone calls a day and this tends to slow things down a bit. Also, I paid my dues and now I have people to do that crap for me.

Lower your starting rate and make your idiots earn their pay checks. Then give raises due to exemplery service. I also find that being an ass and and not letting them get away with slow work is very effective. I can replace any one who works for me. I don't want to , but I can.

bigclawnman
11-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Hey I appriciate that. Thanks.

C.

I can pm one to you. Nothing special. But templates are nice. I would assume there are free ones on-line.

I will try and remember Monday when I am in the office.

Smallaxe
11-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Why?? Cause I have better things to do than shovel dirt. I have to answer 50 phone calls a day and this tends to slow things down a bit. Also, I paid my dues and now I have people to do that crap for me. ...

So are you saying that you became a scaper to be 'a suit'? Why not get a job as a receptionist that pays benefits and drop the headache? Or, did you become a scaper to dig your own little power trip?

Isobel
11-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Why?? Cause I have better things to do than shovel dirt. I have to answer 50 phone calls a day and this tends to slow things down a bit.

I hear that. I specifically hired an office manager last year so I didn't have to directly deal with that sort of stuff. I find I'm more useful in the field than in the office.
:walking:

clcare2
11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
I have spent too many years building this company to let some office manager talk to my customers. Office flunky handles office crap, billing payroll ,taxes. I talk to customers and I am still my best salesman.

I got in cause I like to use my hands. I stayed in 'cause I like money. So am I less respectable if I don't play in the dirt anymore. This stuff about being a suit is crap. I have a wife and kids who expect me to pay the mortgage and put food on the table and somehow figure out how to take them to Disney World next year. I choose to do this because I am good at it. But I don't really care what biz I own.

Make your company work for you.

Isobel
11-03-2008, 01:03 AM
My office manager is my wife. She handles talking to clients over the phone, setting up meetings, and I go out and meet with them in person. She's definitely not a flunky, and can handle the bookeeping and other office stuff as well.

We built this company from scratch, and we both know what we're good at. I hate talking on the phone, but love meeting with clients in person.

thegreek
11-03-2008, 01:46 AM
I was wondering whats better door to door salesman/women. Who does better male or female?

ARGOS
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I also find that being an ass

Sounds like your doing a good job.

clcare2
11-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Sounds like your doing a good job.

Thank you:waving::):)

clcare2
11-03-2008, 11:59 PM
I was wondering whats better door to door salesman/women. Who does better male or female?

most people are more willing to let a woman start her pitch in a door to door setting. But that doesn't means they will let her close. Most people will naturally stereotype that the women doesn't know what is going on.

Also, I tend to work mostly with wives. While most of them like my wife, they tend to come to me when it comes to things happening in the field, even though she could answer 90% of their questions.

JimmyStew
11-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I SAY START YELLING AT THE LAZY SOB'S AND IF THAT DOESN'T WORK TELL THEM TO HIT THE ROAD!!!!

I had a kid working for me this spring that was very much like you describe. After about a week on the job, he thought he was king. Work slowed to a crawl and I was so frustrated and irritated when I got home at the end of the day. After about a month I weened his hours back to almost nothing. "I just don't have much work right now...." He ended up quitting and getting a job with a competitor. Who's laughing now???:laugh::laugh: