PDA

View Full Version : Need Tree Selling Help

Ravenwood Landscaping
11-01-2008, 05:49 PM
I am looking at selling trees this year. I found a supplier a few hours away and will be selling from my house. I sold mums in my yard on a whim and sold over 200 in a couple of weeks. So I'm thinking that I could also be onto something with the trees. I was thinking of starting the week of Thanksgiving. A couple of questions I had:

1. How do you keep the trees healthy and watered?
2. What are some things that you have found to be good accessory sellers? (i.e. stands, wreaths, swags)
3. Any general complications I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GoneFishin'
11-17-2008, 01:09 AM
1. You don't, just put a fresh cut on it when you sell it and tell the customer to put the tree in water when they get home. (Prolong is a good additive to sell the customer)

2. I wouldn't sell too much your first year. Make sure you can sell the trees first and see what customers ask for, use this for next year. (Make sure you get yourself some good twine to tie the trees up)

3. Make sure you do a good job if you tie trees to the roof of vehicles is probably the most important. As simple as it sounds, I have seen way too many newbies screw up with this. The best is when they trap a person in their car (anyone with experience knows what I'm talking about and will laugh at that every time.)

Good luck if you try your luck at it. If you are I'm sure you've ordered your trees by now. If so what type, FF's or DF's?

T&J Landscaping
11-17-2008, 01:52 AM
good luck ravenwood,,

Ravenwood Landscaping
11-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys! Yea, I'm going to keep it simple just to see how it goes. I plan on getting around 30 trees, mostly frasiers and some white pines. I'm also making wreathes (got all the pine I need in my relatives yards) and having my sister make some stuff since she's crafty.

I figure I'm putting a ~$750 investment out there, I shouldn't have an issue at least breaking even based on my sales of mums and the traffic that passes by here.

Good luck to all!

T&J Landscaping
11-17-2008, 11:34 PM
why would you want to work just to break even , Not worth it ,, you need to set Numbers before before you start a biz,

Ravenwood Landscaping
11-18-2008, 10:16 AM
why would you want to work just to break even , Not worth it ,, you need to set Numbers before before you start a biz,

Oh I'm certainly working for more than breaking even, but with this being my first time doing this and without actually planning for it earlier in the year, I don't want to put up a huge investment and fall flat on my face because I don't have everything planned and advertised. I'm more looking to "see how it goes" and learn from it for next year.

Unfortunately, my house is also up for sale, so I don't want to have hundreds of trees and a whole setup in my yard that I may have to move. So that's also another factor in not going full bore with it.

T&J Landscaping
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
you should hire a , newphew or something and have him hold a sign down the street saying trees for sale/house lol ,, joking, holding a sign saying trees for sale , from 3:00pm - 8:00pm,pay him 8 an hour, how much you going to charge selling trees

TXNSLighting
11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
T&J do you the difference between this , and this . ??

Have you ordered your trees yet? What are you ordering? Why would you do this just to break even? Its quite a bit of work even for 30 trees...You have to keep em watered. Are you prepared to guarantee them? Do you know what your delivery costs are? Are your prices competitive?

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
11-21-2008, 01:56 AM
I guess you charge for it, but it saves on customers trying to haul a tree on a lexus or whatever. Of course they want to pick one out, so just take them maybe 5-8 trees to pick from. You could probably charge for placing them in the stand for them as a add-on also.

Just a thought...

turf hokie
11-21-2008, 07:55 AM
I guess you charge for it, but it saves on customers trying to haul a tree on a lexus or whatever. Of course they want to pick one out, so just take them maybe 5-8 trees to pick from. You could probably charge for placing them in the stand for them as a add-on also.

Just a thought...

Yes, delivery & set-up for a nominal fee, but they still need to come to you to pick out the tree. I dont think I could charge enough to bring 5-6 trees to someone so they can pick one out. If they cant come to you then bring them one nice one and done with it.

GoneFishin'
11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
T&J do you the difference between this , and this . ??

Have you ordered your trees yet? What are you ordering? Why would you do this just to break even? Its quite a bit of work even for 30 trees...You have to keep em watered. Are you prepared to guarantee them? Do you know what your delivery costs are? Are your prices competitive?

He already said he was getting FF and WP. Just like when you started your business you surely didn't aim to only "break even" the first year, but if you did that was chalked up as a success. What he is doing is good, start small and test the area he is in. You do not have to water the trees:hammerhead: At least not until he puts a fresh cut on them for the customer to take home and put in water. I would love to know how you are guaranteeing your trees! I have never heard of this, nor should it have to be done IMO.

Good luck to all this season, the days are numbered until the trees start flyin'.:drinkup:

GoneFishin'
11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Though there is one exception for guarantees that I forgot to mention. The only christmas trees that get any sort of a guarantee are B&B trees but I don't think Ravenwood plans to sell any of these though I could be wrong.

TXNSLighting
11-21-2008, 03:48 PM
He already said he was getting FF and WP. Just like when you started your business you surely didn't aim to only "break even" the first year, but if you did that was chalked up as a success. What he is doing is good, start small and test the area he is in. You do not have to water the trees:hammerhead: At least not until he puts a fresh cut on them for the customer to take home and put in water. I would love to know how you are guaranteeing your trees! I have never heard of this, nor should it have to be done IMO.

Good luck to all this season, the days are numbered until the trees start flyin'.:drinkup:

Our supplier told us its good to water em down here in texas! I dont believe you libe here. Why would you not guarantee em?? That shows you have confidence in your product which we do!

This is how we run our business, it works well for us.

GoneFishin'
11-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Our supplier told us its good to water em down here in texas! I dont believe you libe here. Why would you not guarantee em?? That shows you have confidence in your product which we do!

This is how we run our business, it works well for us.

Ravenwood lives not too far from me, hence the reason I told him it is not required that he watered them. I don't doubt that your supplier told you to water but I don't see how that works if the tree is gunked up with dirt and hardened sap on the bottom. Sarcasm aside, I would like to hear how you guys go about watering the trees. I have just as much confidence in our trees as the next guy but it is impossible to know if someone has their heat cranked up to 85 degrees in their house thats going to dry out the tree and drop needles quick. We move trees in the thousands... grown on site and shipped in. With this many trees going out you are guaranteed to get those people who want another tree a week before X-MAS because theirs dropped 6 needles. You see what I'm sayin'? Too many headaches as it is:laugh: Good luck to you this year!

T&J Landscaping
11-21-2008, 08:07 PM
how much are you guys paying per a tree ?

T&J Landscaping
12-07-2008, 11:30 PM
how is everyone doing that decided to sell x-mas trees ?