PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Case 550H

Mini man
11-01-2008, 06:05 PM
So I think I can buy a 2001 Case 550h for 20K...it has 4500 hours on it.
Would you shy away of this machine with those hours?
I have not gone to look at it yet but assume with those hours it would need undercarrige work...
What do you think?
:canadaflag:

ksss
11-01-2008, 07:47 PM
So I think I can buy a 2001 Case 550h for 20K...it has 4500 hours on it.
Would you shy away of this machine with those hours?
I have not gone to look at it yet but assume with those hours it would need undercarrige work...
What do you think?

Sounds like a good deal even if need considerable undercarriage work.

dozerman21
11-01-2008, 07:51 PM
That's a very good price if the machine has been taken care of. When you go to look at it, there are tons of things you can check for. Here's a few of the obvious ones:

-Check the fluids. See if they are topped off, or have been recently.

-Look for leaks. If it has some minor hydraulic leak it might not be a big deal.

-Check the slop in the blade. Put it in the air and see if you can physically move it much, if any. You can also tell just by moving it all six ways and see how if it takes much motion to move. Also, see if the cutting edge has been replaced regularly before it tears into the moldboard.

-When you run the machine, check the reaction time when you shift forward/reverse back and forth. It should be quick and not make any clunks or squeels. Do the same with the high/low of each track.

-See if it has been greased regulary.

-Check the tach and make sure the gauges and especially the hour meter are working.

A 3/4" wrench or socket takes the plates off. I would remove them all, including the floorboard, and look at the engine and driveshaft, and torque converter area. It only takes a few minutes.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck and keep us posted. Don't be afraid of the hours. I only got around 3,000 hours on my U/C's before I replaced everything but the pads. I'm sure it's had a new set of tracks by now. If not, a complete U/C will run you around 8 large. You can intall it yourself with descent mechanical skills and the right tools. I would be more concerned with the internal parts of the machine like engine, torque converter, and steering clutches. It should still have plenty of life left at those hours. My last 550H that I just traded in had 7,000 hours

Scag48
11-02-2008, 02:38 AM
4,500 hours I wouldn't be worried about the carriage, these little dozers don't cost too much to throw a new one on if it needs one. $20K is a pretty good deal on that machine, not bad at all.

Dirt Digger2
11-02-2008, 02:49 AM
yes, make sure you check the U/C....ours has 3700 or some odd hours on it and it needs new sprockets and has already got new idlers on her so you will want to look

CASE makes nice machines...flat out and 4500 hours is up there, but not too bad...depending on how much you use it....

our normal rule of thumb...things that get used nearly everyday (trackhoes and backhoes) usually get sold with no more then 4000 hours....things that get used only "when needed" (rollers, dozers, trackloaders) get run till they NEED to be replaced.....we have a trackoader with 12,000 hours on original owner/1 rebuild just because it doesn't make sense to buy a new one for the amount it gets used, if you plan on using it 8 hours a day, everyday it would make sense to buy new, if not...what you have sounds like a decent deal

GradeMan
11-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I would be all over that like a fat kid on cake.... As long as the trannny was good...

Gravel Rat
11-02-2008, 02:48 PM
If the machine is the same as the one in the picture posted the undercarriage is simple to work on. It has the same undercarriage style as the old International trackloaders. I helped rebuild the undercarriage on it and it wasn't that expensive. The expensive stuff is when your getting into the brake bands, clutches and transmission.

The fluids will tell the story check the engine oil if its black as tobys azz then that gives you a idea on the maintenance. General appearance of the machine.

For 20 grand thats pretty cheap so that is another condsideration is this machine beat to crap ?

Mini man
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I havent seen the machine in person yet but you can see it on
autotrader.ca

Gravel Rat
11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Had a look its not a bad machine the tracks are not sagging. Its hard to tell with the small picture.

The only way to see if its worth it is go look at it and take it for a test run.