PDA

View Full Version : new jersey irrigation installation

jc1
02-13-2002, 11:16 PM
Is the following information correct to get licensed to install irrigation or repair them in NJ. I was told you have to have worked for a contractor for 3 years and use them as a reference and you must pass a test. I was told you also must have your supplier submit a reference also.
My buddy was telling me this and it seemed odd to me. Does anyone know if this is the case?

steveair
02-13-2002, 11:35 PM
Yes, sounds right. Except for the reference from the supplier.

steve

gusbuster
02-14-2002, 02:44 AM
Generaly speaking for all states, you have to have been working in that class of liscense for a certain amount of years(2 to 3 is the norm) and pass a written test.

Some states like my state of California, allow you to work under a mentor liscens. The way it works is you have a sponser(who's already liscensed) sponser you for 2 year probation. If you had no problems, then you re-apply to get your new liscense with out taking the written exam. One of the requirements that you have to have is that you had worked in the classification for more than 5 years of at least a journeyman level.

I am currently sponsering 1 other person now. This man decided to make out on his own after working for both my father and myself for 15 years.

John

jc1
02-14-2002, 07:44 AM
Thanks for your replies. It doesn't make sense to me to have the standards to get licensed for irrigation so high, while getting a one for pesticides only requires studying 2 books and passing a test. It is easier to get legal to spray chemicals then to spray water.

HBFOXJr
02-14-2002, 09:58 AM
There are several ways to qualify to take a test. You do also have to submit proof of those qualifications.

Call the NJ DEP at 609-777-1007 for current and proper info.

The reason this is probably a little tougher is that there is so much more you need to know AND it involves working with a scarce controlled resource.

jc1
02-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Why I'm asking about the license is, we have been putting out door hangers I had made from nebs.Our area is somewhat spread out that we are targeting but there is alot of newer homes. We have been hanging them on the houses that the landscape is installed but could stand some maintenance. Mulch shrubs trimmed etc we looking for that type of work plus lawn cutting at this point.No where on our flyer does it say sprinkler systems or imply that we do them but sofar I have only gotten call wanting sprinkler system installs and sod or seeding with it. Sofar 5 calls in 1 week all work we cant legally do. The worst part about my area is no one returns calls so when I call a customer back they are all excited to here from me. I dep and they are sending me a packet but in talking to them sounds like I've got no chance unless I have 3 years under someone else.

HBFOXJr
02-15-2002, 09:58 AM
There used to be educational requirements that could be substituted for apprentice time. Read carefully. Either way it won't happen this year.

jc1
02-15-2002, 08:41 PM
I stopped by my friends, he had sent for info from the dep several weeks back.I read through it you do need 3 years verified by your employer or 2 years if you have 150 hours college for it. Also you need an irrigation supplier to verify that the contractor has been buying materials from him and for how long.

greasemonkey
02-17-2002, 02:39 PM
wow, I guess state licensing standards differ quite a bit. In new york, you need a restriced plumber's licence which to be elegible to take the test for, you need to have 5 years worth of w-2's showing employment to a plumber and affidavits from that / those employers verifying that you were and employee. Here in michigan, as far as I can tell, you don't need a license to install / service sprinkller systems. You technically need to pull a permit for every alteration you make to a building's plumbing system, but you don't have to be a plumber to pull the permit most places. Code also requires that every testable backflow device be tested a the time of installation, so that means that the tag that came in the box doesn't count, but its not widely enforced. You guys in new jersey have it pretty good compared to new yorkers if all you need to have is three years of verifyable irrigation experience. Having tough licensing requiremets does not do anything to help poffesionalize the industry. By making getting a licence hard to get you just increase the number of people opperating without a licence. Having a large number of unlicensed contractors out there makes enforcement of codes and standards harder. If licences and regulations were easier to obtain / follow, more people would be likely to get them / follow them and it would be easir to keep track of contractors and to take action against those who do things improperly.

-J

jeffyr
02-17-2002, 04:37 PM
With all of that to do it's a wonder anybody new even installs irrigation. It seems an awefull lot of apprentice (poor wage) time. As was pointed out, it is easier to spray pesticides than water.

jeffyr

HBFOXJr
02-19-2002, 08:59 AM
It may look easier to spray water than pesticides but that is because you don't know the engineering of hydraulics, electricity, soil chemistry and types or plant growth, evapotranspiration and more.

Do not infer that any of this as difficult, but understand there is a lot to know when you install a permanent, real irrigation system as opposed to throwing some pipe and heads in the ground to spray water around.

jeffyr
02-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by HBFOXJr
It may look easier to spray water than pesticides but that is because you don't know the engineering of hydraulics, electricity, soil chemistry and types or plant growth, evapotranspiration and more.

Do not infer that any of this as difficult, but understand there is a lot to know when you install a permanent, real irrigation system as opposed to throwing some pipe and heads in the ground to spray water around.

I am agreeing with you guys. I was commending you for sticking with the program, even though the waiting period (apprenticeship) is a long time. I purchased a book on designing and installing an irrigation system and did the install at my home and I realize there is alot to know. Although all I did was throw some pipe and heads in the ground to spray water around. LOL Just kidding....I checked everything the book said I was supposed to do at the time and even did my math and drawing on graph paper.

The comment about spraying pesticides being easier than water was a reference to getting the actual license. In other words, it's easier (to get a license) to spray pesticides than it is (to get a license) to spray water. I think I think I was misread.:cry: It is an ironic statement.....which is what made it funny.....I thought....no ?

jeffyr

JML
08-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Do you need a license to maintain sprinkler systems, fixing broken heads, blow outs, etc? I was thinking about going to Rain Birds school next month with one of my foreman, so we can be a little more full service to our commercial clients... thanks

HBFOXJr
09-03-2003, 06:16 PM
If you take money for sprinkler work you must be licensed. Only people doing there own work such as home owners, farmers, golf courses and licensed plumbers are exempt.

Harry0
10-19-2003, 08:50 PM
I am a LIC in New Jersey-Cape May County-The liscensing process is fine but what I dont get is having to have a plumber pull a permit and install the bfp. Another thing I didnt like was the fact i busted my butt to get this liscense and they would not tell me my score on the test-just that I passed-Oh well Harry

greenworldh20
10-23-2003, 08:22 PM
you do not need a journeymans plumbing licensce in nys...grease monkey, all you have to do is sub out the plumbing portion of the job.

brian