PDA

View Full Version : HBOFox or Sprinkler Guy what valves do you use?

Northwest
02-13-2002, 11:59 PM
Since I am copying the best what valves do you guys use? I have access to Horizon and United Pipe Irr. houses. On heads I know HBO uses I20 but what do you think about the Rainbird 5000. I know it is not on the same level (commercial) but for a residential would it matter?

SprinklerGuy
02-14-2002, 07:24 AM
Very flattering!

I use Hunter PGV valves. Ever since touring the Hunter facility in San Diego I have been most impressed with their business. Did you know that they make their own molds? That sounds easy but believe me, it is quite impressive to see.

As for the RB 5000, I'm sure it is fine, but try the Hunter PGP if you don't want to use an I-20. Personally, for 2 bucks more the I-20 is the way to go. It has more features as well as being the "standard" in rotors. How can you go wrong?

HBFOXJr
02-14-2002, 10:17 AM
I use Hunter PGV. I've seen their plant as Tony has. These people have their act together. I also have used a tone of RB 100DV. Very trouble free.

I don't use RB heads because in the early/mid '90's they put out some bad TBird heads. They cost a me a bundle in warranty work and well as tarnishing my reputation on new installs. It wasn't pretty.

I called my regional rep and talked one day. The next day I sent a letter reiterating my complaint and possible solutions. No response. Weeks later I sent a letter to the next boss up at the national level. No response. Weeks go by and I send a letter to the president of RB outlining my unhappiness to that point. No response. Then about 6 weeks later I get a letter from the middle person I wrote to and I believe it was because the Pres. told her to contact me.

The president or his assistants of RB didn't have the courtesy to even write to say they were sorry about the problems and we'll have someone or so and so get back with you on that.

Wrong move. I have seriously minimized my RainBird purchases since then.

Four years ago I built a large residential system and a couple of valves didn't work when we turned the system on. Checked OK electrically, bleed manually externally just fine. We're pulling out hair out. Took the solinoids off and all looked OK, down stream bleed port clear, diaphrams OK. Then I think I'm goofy and say to a guy, I don't think I see a hole from the bonnet to the solinoid chamber. This lkets the water get off the top of the diaphram so the valve can open. And there was not a hole. We took the bonnet off and swapped for good ones. When I notified the distributor RB came and got them "right away"! Did I get a phone call, letter, compensation, thanks, or anything? NO!

They never acknowledge their problems. Your always the only one. Meanwhile the distributor has a pallet full of returns waiting for them.

Ground Master
02-14-2002, 04:32 PM
Those T-birds were crap.

Although the hunter pgp is a good head they do have a few drawbacks. Namely the nozzles do not seem to cover close into the head. Of course if your installing a new system you should have at least 2 other heads watering this area. If your retrofitting the pgp into a poorly designed system you may run into problems with the close in watering. Second, those damn
hex head nozzle screws can easily jam with dirt (even with the cover on), making it very difficult to adjust the spray.

I've gone to using Rainbird 5000 in all rotor applications were the pgp or maxipaws were used. All you need is a thin blade screwdriver to adjust arc and NOZZLE spray. The nozzle seems to do a very good job of close in watering. Another benefit I've noticed is that the head rotates more quickly the the hunters, which in turn gives a very qwik visual that the head is rotating. I've noticed on many pgp's that they rotate very slowly-- you practically have to be standing next to the head to see thats its working.

HBFOXJr
02-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Hunter claims their nozzles are the best and so does RB. I've sen whre and how Hunter tests. Maybe Hunter is the best if your building a system properly. Maybe RB is the best for poorly arranged jobs that don't have head to head coverge. ???

I really like the I20's and so does about every other contractor around here. Many dedicated Toro guys now use them too. I completed a job last year where we have in the teens of hundreds of I20s that took 2.5 yr to install. They've been great and the nozzle selection with the low angle and low volume has been a big help in design. Things are much simpler to design and we are not sacraficing design efficiency.

No dirt problems in the hex like your talking about.

Ground Master
02-14-2002, 05:23 PM
every head has its pros and cons.......just relating my experiences......i've noticed dirt problems in the hex screws on heads that have been in the ground for awhile, where the cover may have been broken off or pryed up in some fashion.

Have you noticed how the new hunter spray heads look alot like the rainbird 1804'S?

Planter
02-14-2002, 10:12 PM
[i]Have you noticed how the new hunter spray heads look alot like the rainbird 1804'S? [/B]

Yea, and they are a good spray head at about a dime or 15 cents a piece cheaper. Just stay away from the low end head. I bought a case thinking they were the high end Pro-spray and they are very cheaply made. I'll use them in my kid's yard.

totallpm
04-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Love the 5000 series. Easy to adjust and able to use in a wide range of applications.

Kevin Total Landscaping

HBFOXJr
04-04-2002, 07:55 PM
I just have a problem with RB with Rain management/execs which you could probably find in an old post.

I'm pretty much HUnter all the way any more.