PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Here

TexasFire221
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I have a lawn customer that wants a flagstone patio and I dont really know where to start. Can someone give me some direction. Maybe a book or something. I dont even know how to begin on pricing. Its going to be about 12ft by 30 ft. It's probably about a ft higher from one side to the other by the eyeball. Didnt shoot it. I dont really know about run off. Can someone guide me?

NewHorizon's Land
11-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Get a laser level if you want to continue in the business. I would suggest going with a good name brand and not something from lowes. Probably cost you $1000 to $1500 for a new one. Maybe less. Also Dig it out a few (6"+/-) inches. Put in the amount of crushed stone and tamp with a gas powered tamp. You should have your flagstone height subtracted from your depth of excavation so you know how much stone to put in. Lay the pattern and fill with stone dust. This is how we have done them

DVS Hardscaper
11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Fisrt question is do they want a dryset flagstone patio or a patio with flagstone mortared to concrete??

Because really, this thread can't go any further until we know, as dryset and mortared are 2 different worlds.

Honestly, if you have no clue where to start, I respectfully advise that you either sub it out or walk away.

Mike33
11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
If your " don't know where to start " and nothing wrong with that because i don't do brain surgery either don't try it. You can't take every ones advise here and go out and start the job and return the next day after someone here posted step # 2. If you want to get in to this game go to block or paver manuf. or dealers and ask about training seminars. I have over 300 walls completed and this was the first year i did a paver job. It was for my self and learned from my mistakes and didnt get sued.
mike

baddboygeorge
11-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Flagstone is easy to work with but dont rush, an get some polymeric sand , have fun george

Matt k
11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
OMG!!!!!!! I can't say anything else, but Holy wide joints Batman!

PlatinumLandCon
11-04-2008, 08:34 PM
OMG!!!!!!! I can't say anything else, but Holy wide joints Batman!

LOL!! Yeah man, keep 'em under 1".

baddboygeorge
11-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I like my joints the way they are ,like see some you have done

DVS Hardscaper
11-05-2008, 12:57 AM
yeah, the joints are way too wide

btammo
11-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I personally try not to use the small stones. There is no way they are going to stay in place with sand joints. But this is not the thread......

Dude, dont do it. Try it at your own house first or something. Stonework is in another league. You cant just put stone down and have it look good. Unless you have a natural stone talent to do it right off the bat. maybe you work with someone you network with who has experience with this and work along with them on it or something.

GradeMan
11-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Yup, the joints are a little to big, but other than that it looks good

kootoomootoo
11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Why does he need a laser level....and the joints are way too wide.

TXNSLighting
11-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Flagstone is easy to work with but dont rush, an get some polymeric sand , have fun george

wow did you charge for that?? I wouldnt pay for that...

baddboygeorge
11-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Can anybody on this site say any thing kind about someones work, everytime i see a post , I always see some coward sticking his nose where it doesn't belong , the funny thing is 90% of the people on here actually have never even tackled these jobs before , but they always wanna degrade an judge someone elses work! People grow up an be real ,a few kind words go alot further than being some degrading *******!!

wurkn with amish
11-10-2008, 06:28 PM
No matter how you feel about the job, your peers are only helping you do better the next time.

baddboygeorge
11-10-2008, 06:32 PM
But I always see people critizing others ,

crab
11-10-2008, 10:26 PM
that's true,hardscapers are a holes but you did put a picture up as a example .i could have said you're joints are to wide,you're pieces are to small(poly sand or not)you're fits have no balance or symmetry ,and you're layout lacks definition ,but i didn't because at least you have the balls to post a picture that isn't pavers ,good job...

TXNSLighting
11-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Can anybody on this site say any thing kind about someones work, everytime i see a post , I always see some coward sticking his nose where it doesn't belong , the funny thing is 90% of the people on here actually have never even tackled these jobs before , but they always wanna degrade an judge someone elses work! People grow up an be real ,a few kind words go alot further than being some degrading *******!!

Yeh but you know what? The next time you do a job like that, you will be thinking about what was said here, and correct it.. Its called constructive criticism...Yes i know mine is probably way over the line, but thats what this site has done to me. My first few years were brewtal on here, but it has made me a better landscaper. I have been here since 03...

kootoomootoo
11-11-2008, 11:55 AM

90% .....How did you get that figure>? You ask a dumb question in the irrigation section guess what...you post a $30 lawn with crooked stripes in the mowing forum ..guess what...you screw up a $10,000 plus install guess what.

baddboygeorge
11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I tried very hard to make that patio something nice , Flagstone is probabley the most difficult to work with due to different shapes an sizes, I could have cut them to fit but I love that natural look , it might not be perfect but that job landed me 3 more so must have not been that damn bad ,, George

Skimastr105
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Let's not rip into him too bad. Granted, the joints are wide, but overall it seems pretty decent. Perhaps his client preferred the joints wider. The patio looks well graded and the stone layout is good... except for the few small stones. Overall, it's not as horrible as some of you make it out to be.

Just take the criticism with a grain of salt and use it to to better on the next project - that's what this site is all about.

tthomass
11-13-2008, 08:43 PM
overlay....cut through both pieces

iluvbermuda
12-13-2008, 10:58 PM
George..I think the patio looks good. This last pic looks different in the joints than Georges does. Is this last one a different type of sand or is it mortar?

tthomass
12-13-2008, 11:10 PM
I used mortar........the stone is set in mortar on top of a concrete pad.

tthomass
12-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Little off topic but I see a lot of folks not doing this.........finishing touches. Must be flagstone/bluestone. Try this with slate and it will split on you vs pop. Instead take a hand held rotor and sand the saw marks smooth.

crab
12-14-2008, 01:33 AM
you need pants for granite.

KCL
12-14-2008, 08:35 AM
tthomass... what exactly does that do?

doubleedge
12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
You do great work, tthomass. How did you get those stones to fit togeather so perfectly?

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
12-15-2008, 04:36 AM
Thomas...That is work of a Real Pro. Hand-Cut Select Grade Bluestone patio.

Concrete rat slab, check
Select Grade Flagstone, check
Joints under 1", check
Will be there in 50 years, check

Hell, you probably used type 'S' mortar too.

ChampionLS
12-21-2008, 02:37 PM
You should be using a different tip on that torch.. I think it's the Rosette tip. The one your using is for cutting.

zedosix
12-21-2008, 04:56 PM
You do great work, tthomass. How did you get those stones to fit togeather so perfectly?

Its called a quick cut.

Nice job.

denver 2
12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I have a lawn customer that wants a flagstone patio and I dont really know where to start. Can someone give me some direction. Maybe a book or something. I dont even know how to begin on pricing. Its going to be about 12ft by 30 ft. It's probably about a ft higher from one side to the other by the eyeball. Didnt shoot it. I dont really know about run off. Can someone guide me?

A simple book that might be of help is "The complete guide to patios" by Phillip Schmidt. Type in " a guide for doing flag stone work" and you will come to the book on page three of search and then you can look at it for free. Good Luck! Also, a bit of advice, I would refrain from posting any pics of the job unless you want very, very constructive criticism or have thick skin.

doubleedge
12-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Its called a quick cut.

Nice job.

I am sorry for my ignorance; I don't do any hardscaping (yet). Doesn't cutting them cause them to look unnatural?