PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you have printers setup in your trucks?

Kickin Your Grass
11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Do any of you guys have printers set up in your truck so you can print invoices and estimates out on the job site? What size power inverter do you have?

I have a Samsung ML-1740 series laser printer. I want to purchase a power inverter and use it in my truck with my laptop to print invoices and estimates while on the job site. What size power inverter will I need to run this ? (750, 1000, 1200, 1500 + watt etc) Thanks!

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/graphics/screenshots/1086300526500samu331.jpg

STIHL GUY
11-04-2008, 08:01 PM
i have invoices all printed up in the truck so i just fill in the date when im done and sign my name

JShe8918
11-04-2008, 08:54 PM
I have thought about doing this as well but have yet to figure out exactly how i wanted to rig it up. Hope you we hear some inspirations from some of the other professionals.

Blunt
11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I plan on putting a wireless printer and laptop in my van next yr. For invoices estimates and anything else i need to do.

MowMoney
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
This year marks my 3rd season for me. I have a laptop mounted on a mobile laptop desk (similar to those on police vehicles), a printer, and a high speed Internet card as well. I have found however that the printer is used less and less; almost not at all this year; as I have found myself emailing or faxing (using ring central on my computer) documents or corresponce more often than not. The set up has helped a lot in the sense that I've been able to stay in touch with my customers, navigate my crews when they need directions to unfamiliar areas, connect to my office computer via logmein and have all of my information readily available, and take care of paperwork (data entry) if there are long periods of time between appointments.

Regards.

shepoutside
11-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I think I have a 175 watt inverter for mine. Printers do not draw a lot. I love mine for doing Quotes in the field.

elite lawns
11-07-2008, 01:51 AM
yes i have ip90 it's tiny and works great

wahlturfcare
11-07-2008, 11:17 AM
i have a docking station for my toughbook and hp printer in all my trucks. The docking station makes it so i dont need the batteries an anything as you wire the dock to the vehicles battery saving your cigarette lighter for other accesories. I use the printer alot for new jobs and quotes on the road.

Frontier-Lawn
11-08-2008, 07:16 PM
i leave one of these in the truck 24/7 to use with my wireless laptop
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=product_detail&product_code=CB028A%23B1H

HP Officejet H470wbt Mobile Printer
http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/products/cb028a_300.jpg

hotshot4819
11-08-2008, 11:10 PM
just came accross the thread. i myself, used to use this printer setup. however, no i find myself bidding, and faxing most my business stuff. If any one is interested i have a i season old cannon ip90 small and compact, and does great printing, 75 bucks and you pay shipping

Elite Outdoor
11-09-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a wireless printer and a laptop that i keep in the truck. Works great because you can print out a professional invoice on the spot. Plus people often ask for extra things to be completed, so this makes it as easy to change invoices. I have a 175 watt inverter and never had a problem.

SuperDuty335
11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Get a mid-sized inverter larger than 175w. You'll be glad you did.

taxesblow
11-16-2008, 01:55 PM
.....What size power inverter do you have?

I have a Samsung ML-1740 series laser printer.....

It it's truly a laser printer, then it's going to draw large amounts of electricity in surges to fuse the toner to the paper.

Also, toner does not keep well in a hot truck, because it is a heat activated powder.

I would consider getting an ink jet for the truck, and keep the laser for the office.

Flow Control
11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
All of our service trucks use bluetooth printers and PDA's and print invoices on the spot. I just bought a new 1000w inverter, lol. Now I have a microwave, printer and I can charge my two phones and my PDA while I am in the field. Best yet, on the weekends I can tailgate with a TV. Sweet. I work out of a van (which even eliminates the need to stop at gas stations/fast food places once or twice a day) Self contained service van.

coxslawncare
04-03-2009, 10:11 PM
My inkjet uses 18 W max, laser printers can use around 800 W

milsaps118
04-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Check out this thread. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=264922

topsites
04-04-2009, 02:54 AM
I find techno gadgets aren't always the most efficient.

Ramairfreak98ss
04-06-2009, 12:15 AM
I think I have a 175 watt inverter for mine. Printers do not draw a lot. I love mine for doing Quotes in the field.

few things.

Dont even attempt using ANY laser unless your printing massive amounts of docs.

Laser printers will use a surge of 1200+ watts at warmup or more, id say if your DEAD set on using that thing, a 1200+ would be where i'd feel safe with and make sure the truck is "running", printing even 10 pages for 1-2 minutes and your truck may not be able to crank over from that massive draw

keep in mind your pulling 1200 watts into 120v AC, converts into something ridiculous like 250amps off 12v

... Buy a good HP 350 model inkjet or better that comes with a battery so you wont even need an inverter, theyre $300 or less depending on the model, quiet and last a long time.

With all that, i have all of this type of equipment and i wont even consider it. We'd have to have them in every truck, theyd get dirty, multiple people using them and laptops, more paperwork errors etc. Unless you REALLY need it or wireless internet, leave it in the office and have some blank forms just to fill out at least temporarily.

polerpoker
04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
I find techno gadgets aren't always the most efficient.

Haaahaa, Thats awesome, is a printer a techno gadget?? :) just playing, I always get a check and tell them i will send a invoice/reciept, I do however think a laptop in the truck would save me a lot of time.

topsites
04-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Haaahaa, Thats awesome, is a printer a techno gadget?? :) just playing, I always get a check and tell them i will send a invoice/reciept, I do however think a laptop in the truck would save me a lot of time.

LOL I don't know but my netbook sure is, as is the GPS.
See ...

By the time I get the netbook booted (nevermind the software loaded or the printer going).
I can have the dang receipt written out by hand, stuck in the door, and back in my truck already :p

Not to mention the cost, I think one hand-written receipt costs me 2 or 3 cents, all in all.

Now there might be something to monthly billing, that might be more efficient.
But I can't keep up with that either LOL

bohiaa
04-07-2009, 09:13 AM
dont know why a person would want to do this.
most co's, myself included, mail out invoices monthly, as far as bid sheets, you can hand write the name and info in the blank space.

being in Texas there is NO way a lap top much less a printer would survive the heat.

lawnangel1
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
i just ordered my setup off ebay. a tablet pc and a portable printer. i plan on doing bids with it. i think it will make my bids stand out and look much more professional.

stuffdeer
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
like this?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/stuffdeer/101_0387.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/stuffdeer/101_0504.jpg

That was in my old truck. Should be getting my new truck set up anytime.

milsaps118
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
dont know why a person would want to do this.
most co's, myself included, mail out invoices monthly, as far as bid sheets, you can hand write the name and info in the blank space.

being in Texas there is NO way a lap top much less a printer would survive the heat.

So what do all the cops run in their patrol cars/trucks then? I highly doubt they call-in everything to dispatch, and I know they can't keep all those vehicles running with the AC on to keep 'em cool inside. I know here where I live some of the PD's have printers in the squads and don't have any problems in the summer.

bohiaa
04-07-2009, 07:37 PM
So what do all the cops run in their patrol cars/trucks then? I highly doubt they call-in everything to dispatch, and I know they can't keep all those vehicles running with the AC on to keep 'em cool inside. I know here where I live some of the PD's have printers in the squads and don't have any problems in the summer.

they run whats called a dumb treminal. it emmulates the mainframe.

and yes most of the time the auto's/trucks are running. If you have ever been here you would know it reaches temps of 140-150 inside a car in the sumer time.

unkownfl
04-08-2009, 11:59 PM
few things.

Dont even attempt using ANY laser unless your printing massive amounts of docs.

Laser printers will use a surge of 1200+ watts at warmup or more, id say if your DEAD set on using that thing, a 1200+ would be where i'd feel safe with and make sure the truck is "running", printing even 10 pages for 1-2 minutes and your truck may not be able to crank over from that massive draw

keep in mind your pulling 1200 watts into 120v AC, converts into something ridiculous like 250amps off 12v

... Buy a good HP 350 model inkjet or better that comes with a battery so you wont even need an inverter, theyre $300 or less depending on the model, quiet and last a long time.

With all that, i have all of this type of equipment and i wont even consider it. We'd have to have them in every truck, theyd get dirty, multiple people using them and laptops, more paperwork errors etc. Unless you REALLY need it or wireless internet, leave it in the office and have some blank forms just to fill out at least temporarily.

You cannot convert watts to amps, since watts are power and amps are coulombs per second (like converting gallons to miles). HOWEVER, if you have at least least two of the following three: amps, volts and watts then the missing one can be calculated. Since watts are amps multiplied by volts, there is a simple relationship between them.

If you used 1200 watts at 12 volts this would be 100amps NOT 250. 1200 watts at 120 volts would be 10 amps. I highly doubt you would need this much.

Power consumption samsung laser: 450 watts printing, 45 watts idle is a samsung I found which is close to what you have. 4.09 amps@110 if your counting.

Watts is usage and amps are the pressure in irrigation terms. However, what do I know I was laid off from Florida Power as they had no use for me.

450 watts at 110 volts would be somewhere along the lines of 4.1 amps, and you would be drawing just under 40 amps at 12 volts; Further more, you would need a dedicated fuse for this to work and a cable rated for the amps at 12 volts. Oh and you would still have to calculate voltage drop into the wire size if needed I could calculate this as well if you are still going to do this.

I would not recommend using a inverter to power high priced equipment as you are not actually creating a perfect sine wave and you leave a lot of square edges. Inverters leave what is called a modified sine wave which is horrible to power motors which your printer has you will have failure rather soon then if plugged into a true a/c source. You would defiantly kill a cpu if running on a inverter unless it is a pure sine wave inverter which I know no one on here has or they wouldn't be mowing lawns or digging ponds lol.

I have a HP Deskjet D2545 Printer and this will draws 1.6 amps@12 volts and only 16 watts. The price of ink is the cheapest I have found at walmart which is 32 dollars for two cartridges one black one color. You will get 200 pages in black and like 120 in color. This printer is like 45 bucks and would work with your cigarette lighter.

unkownfl
04-09-2009, 12:12 AM
they run whats called a dumb treminal. it emmulates the mainframe.

and yes most of the time the auto's/trucks are running. If you have ever been here you would know it reaches temps of 140-150 inside a car in the sumer time.

They are connected through the internet. Which in return can connect into their server which can access the mainframe.