PDA

View Full Version : need help with a medium tree/shrub!florida guys help!

Florida Gardener
11-04-2008, 09:51 PM
i need a good looking small tree or medium shrub that will be medium to low maintenance and pruning...i was thinking a gardenia but would like some more options...TIA

djchiodo3
11-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Can you give more details on where the tree/shrub will be planted. Is there a lot of shade/sun? Front/back/side of house? What is your goal on height?

Florida Gardener
11-04-2008, 10:31 PM
thanks dj, pretty much full sun, back of house close to a wall. I don't want anything that will go higher than 12-15 feet or so.....there is a hedge there right now and the owners are gone for 1/2 the year and want something with less maintenance.

sweetz
11-04-2008, 10:49 PM
You might want to think about a Podocarpus shrub (they turn into beautiful small trees - I know I have one in my front yard) or a Ligustrium shrub (they also make beautiful small trees - my parents have one about 4 feet away from their house).

I.M. Green
11-04-2008, 10:57 PM
me personally I always go with bottle brush trees, they are low maintenance and bloom a few times a year and are not as popular as others...

Florida Gardener
11-04-2008, 11:07 PM
how tall will the ligustrum get?

sweetz
11-04-2008, 11:14 PM
how tall will the ligustrum get?

Here's a link to a site that will give you some info:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/L/ligu_jap.cfm

The Ligustrium (when grown to be a small tree) does look a lot like an actual tree. There's a picture on that site.

djchiodo3
11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
You might want to think about a Podocarpus shrub (they turn into beautiful small trees - I know I have one in my front yard) or a Ligustrium shrub (they also make beautiful small trees - my parents have one about 4 feet away from their house).

Two great recommendations. The lig. will grow faster and require more maintenance. The lig. will grow as tall as you want it. Once you start shaping it, it will take what ever shape you want. I have some 2oft and some 8ft both are cut round. I have used cutless(growth regulator) to keep growth to a minimum. The podocarpus is a slow growing shrub/tree. Can be trimmed very tight. The needle leaf podocarpus is easily shaped.

sweetz
11-04-2008, 11:29 PM
The lig. will grow faster and require more maintenance. The lig. will grow as tall as you want it.

Definitely agree, but if you grow it as a tree and you aren't worried about the height, you'll just need to trim from the bottom of the plant & trim branches that are hanging down.

Florida Gardener
11-04-2008, 11:37 PM
what do you guys think about using gardenia?

sweetz
11-04-2008, 11:48 PM
what do you guys think about using gardenia?

"Gardenias require considerable maintenance."
That a direct quote from this:http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Rubiaceae/Gardenia_jasminoides.html