PDA

View Full Version : It is getting even slower (damn)

Gravel Rat
11-04-2008, 11:40 PM
One of the contractors is sending flyers out in the mail looking for work and giving a discount. A contractor in business for 30 years sending out flyers.

The sky isn't falling but its got to be getting bad if sending out flyers trying to dig up work. No contractor ever has had to offer discounts or send flyers in the mail.

I was just surprised to pick up my mail and its what the h*ll a advertising flyer from a excavation contractor, a contractor that has never had any problems getting work even through the slow periods of the 90s and early 80s.

I guess the contractors are getting a little panicky, the flyers in the mail might be just the start. Might even see them offering some services for free to get jobs.

turboawd
11-04-2008, 11:59 PM
time to hit the panic button.

Gravel Rat
11-05-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't I have a job :laugh:

It is just more things that really hasn't been seen. Any excavation contractor in the area has never ever had to send out advertising flyers.

YardPro
11-05-2008, 07:42 AM
what a surprise, another negative .. "the sky is falling" thread.....

Bleed Green
11-05-2008, 11:08 AM
If you don't have a job why are you worried about work being so slow?

bobcat_ron
11-05-2008, 11:10 AM
He really needs to get off that tiny Island, things are still booming here in the rest of Canada and the Mainland.

Gravel Rat
11-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Ya I have a full time job but I'am getting tired of it.

With construction/excavation to almost non existant I'am stuck with the job I have now. Trying to get employeed with one of the contractors isn't even a option they have no work. Gravel mines are laying guys off no gravel sales.

Concrete sales in the Vancouver market has dropped off so there is no demand for gravel production. Gravel mines have kept employees working year round for years.

Anybody in the construction field right now is really slow its slower than what is usually is. Realestate is dead I heard one house dropped 600,000 dollars just to sell (estate sale). House prices are dropping 50-100,000 a month some people just took their house off the market because they will take a bath on the price. They are taxed for 800,000 but will only get 400,000 for their house. Anybody that bought a house in the boom bought it at a 200% inflated price now its worth half of what they paid for it.

Forestry jobs are dead one contractor has all his equipment sitting no work no demand for the lumber. The fraser river is flooded with log booms of wood ready to be cut but no damand. When you have over 2 million dollars worth of logging equipment not making a dime its not good especially when your paying huge equipment payments. The employees laid off.

It is disgusting to see jobs that have kept generations of famillies gone like a fart in the wind. Landscaping is dropping off not because weather its because people have stopped spending. People are cutting back on spending big time. Even people that work in the restaurants are being laid off because business has dropped.

One contractor has started flyers the others are probably not too far behind. I do see it coming that a contractor working just for expenses just to make equipment payments. Bidding jobs right at the break even point just to get the jobs. Who is going to work for the cheapest rate possible without going broke.

Its gone from money is no object the contractor could charge anything they wanted to now if the price isn't right your not getting the job.

Yep the sky isn't falling but your at the point of loosing everything you own. Do you think contractors that have been in the business for 30 years think they will have to give up the business :confused:

Oh ya the rest of B.C. isn't doing good I have relatives in the gov't that keep track of the employement in the Interior of B.C. its slow. There is some work in Vancouver but its going to stop pretty soon. Companies like Jack Cewe are laying employees off. LaFarge are laying employees off. Look at Bel Construction laying 100 guys off.

BIGBEN2004
11-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Things are going to get even slower now with Osama in office oops I mean Obama.

CAT powered
11-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Now let's make use of a previously useless thread.

Any of you guys have experience with large wood grinders? I owned a Maxigrind horizontal grinder before and it was EVIL. It wouldn't work at all and I hated it. I need to buy another grinder now and I'm looking at a Morbark tub grinder. Anyone have any experience good or bad with them?

Gravel Rat
11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Tub grinders are a money looser because you have thousands of dollars worth of repairs. Contractors have tried them the ones that have them spend 1 hour grinding and 1 hour repairing.

High heat burning is the better option it is what one contractor is working on. You get very little smoke because the fire burns hot and clean more enviromentally friendly than a tub grinder consuming gallons of fuel.

The only time a tub grinder might be worth it is if you have ABSOLUTELY clean wood debris. Stumps or anything with any chance of rocks imbedded into them forget it. A grinder is 500-1000 dollars per hour that doesn't include a machine to load the grinder or set up costs. You need a excavator with a thumb and a good operator that can spot rocks and other debris that will wreak havoc with the grinder.

Burning is cheapest option then taking it to a landfill let them deal with it

CAT powered
11-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Well my whole point is to grind it TO burn it.

I've got a client that put in 2 GIANT wood burning heaters to replace oil burning furnaces. Each heater is the equivalent of 4 D8 CATs parked in a square with another 4 stacked on top of them.

He's going to need about a hundred yards a day to keep them running. He has to heat 24/7 since he is heating greenhouses. I've been doing business with him for over 13 years so he's a good, long-standing client. I did the ground work for probably 3/4 of his 5 or so acres of greenhouses. His heating bill last year was over 500,000$ so wood is a better option for him.

Currently I'm hauling a large volume of pallet wood out of a pallet processing facility. If you ever see pallets that have the sides painted blue that say CHEP on them in Connecticut their final resting place is with me. I need to grind up all this wood, load it into walking floor trailers, and haul it to my client who will feed his furnaces with a 544J he recently purchased.

Grinding will also provide paying work for an employee that I thought I would have to lay off when I lost a contract previously.

I've done grinding work and I know it is a lot of maintenance, but does anyone have any idea what brand of tub grinder would be best? I can't really afford to go over 75 or 80 grand right now so money is a factor.

Gravel Rat
11-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Why didn't you say you wanted to make "Hog Fuel"

Morbark makes the best grinder out there. As for price your not going to find many used ones. If you want a tub grinder it will be new.

Are you going to supply the chip dryer too ?

If you are going to make hog fuel then your going to want to maybe look into a drum chipper ie something like a oversized tree service chipper.

To burn hog fuel efficiently the chips have to be dry and fairly even. If the chips are too wet or poor quality then you need to use burner sand to increase the heat.

CAT powered
11-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I've been told that it doesn't matter what condition the wood is in as long as it is wood. These furnaces burn so hot and so efficiently that 100 yards of green, ground up wood will burn down so much that the ash will fit in a 55 gallon drum.

If it does end up that the chips need drying I'll be the one to do it. The client has an "operator" on staff, but he couldn't operate his way out of a wet paper bag.

stuvecorp
11-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Take a look at Rotochopper, they do a lot with grinding pallet/waste wood in to mulch or boiler fuel. One winter I checked it out and if you can get paid on both sides it can be a good deal.

www.rotochopper.com

CAT powered
11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
From what I can see they don't offer a tub grinder. I refuse to buy another horizontal grinder. My last grinder was a horizontal grinder and it was the biggest POS I've ever owned.

Another thing that worries me about those guys is I've got no idea what kind of dealer network they have. I know that Morbark has a dealer in my area.

stuvecorp
11-05-2008, 06:49 PM
From what I can see they don't offer a tub grinder. I refuse to buy another horizontal grinder. My last grinder was a horizontal grinder and it was the biggest POS I've ever owned.

Another thing that worries me about those guys is I've got no idea what kind of dealer network they have. I know that Morbark has a dealer in my area.

Which brand did you have? I wouldn't want a tub for pallets, I wouldn't want a tub for any reason. I visited some guys that were doing pallet grinding and they were happy with the 266, were on their second one. It ground stuff as fast as the loader put it in. I didn't go forward with it because I couldn't get enough yardage to make it pay.

CAT powered
11-05-2008, 07:35 PM
It was a Maxigrind. It was a total piece of garbage.

I'm not doing solely pallet work though. I'll bid for wood disposal for the state and grind it to burn. The Maxigrind sucked for doing that. It was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.

Gravel Rat
11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
What species of trees are they plan on burning ?

The green house might have to mix the chips get dry ground up construction debris.

A dryer can be made easy enough its like a huge gravel trommel but the drum doesn't have holes You will have to heat the air in the drum as the drum turns and the chips tumble. A dryer that could dry 40-50 yards of chips in a couple hours then move the chips to a covered shed.

Here is another style it uses a screw conveyor

http://bio-gastech.com/Dryer_System_Pictures.html

CAT powered
11-05-2008, 10:01 PM
They aren't planning on being picky. These furnaces supposedly burn hot enough that anything at all will burn in them and create the heat they need.

I'm not going to try to tell them what they need. My job is to just provide what they asked for. 100 yards per day of ground wood. If they want something different they just have to ask me.

Gravel Rat
11-05-2008, 10:21 PM
How big is these green houses ?

For them to burn 100 yards of hog perday they gotta be heating up alot of water to generate steam.

The pulp mills in B.C. burn thousands of yards of hog fuel to power the mill. I know with them the wood chips have to be good or it doesn't burn properly you get a smoldering fire.

CAT powered
11-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I believe they said it was about 5 acres worth at this point. I just know there's a LOT of greenhouses there.

This guy has THE fastest flooding flood-floor greenhouse in the USA.

ConstSvcs
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Well my whole point is to grind it TO burn it.

I've got a client that put in 2 GIANT wood burning heaters to replace oil burning furnaces. Each heater is the equivalent of 4 D8 CATs parked in a square with another 4 stacked on top of them.

He's going to need about a hundred yards a day to keep them running. He has to heat 24/7 since he is heating greenhouses. I've been doing business with him for over 13 years so he's a good, long-standing client. I did the ground work for probably 3/4 of his 5 or so acres of greenhouses. His heating bill last year was over 500,000$ so wood is a better option for him.

Currently I'm hauling a large volume of pallet wood out of a pallet processing facility. If you ever see pallets that have the sides painted blue that say CHEP on them in Connecticut their final resting place is with me. I need to grind up all this wood, load it into walking floor trailers, and haul it to my client who will feed his furnaces with a 544J he recently purchased.

Grinding will also provide paying work for an employee that I thought I would have to lay off when I lost a contract previously.

I've done grinding work and I know it is a lot of maintenance, but does anyone have any idea what brand of tub grinder would be best? I can't really afford to go over 75 or 80 grand right now so money is a factor.

Cat,

Here in Guilford there is a Rose grower called Pinchbeck's Nursery. They have been heating their greenhouses for years with a similar furnace system. It runs on wood chips. I have hauled many loads of chips there for use in their furnaces. That product seems to be a clean start for tub grinding. Your customer must have a more advanced furnace with very low emissions.....the reason for the fine grinding ?????

CAT powered
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Yes. Extremely low emissions.

The pallets are pretty clean. The only time they touch dirt is if the dozer tracks have dirt stuck in them as I push them onto a pile. And the ones all the way on the bottom are resting on dirt, but other than that it's all nice and clean.

It all has to get shredded down to pieces no larger than 6 inches square.