PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to lay a pallet of sod?

cutting edge
02-14-2002, 11:11 AM
About how long does it take to lay a 504 sq. ft pallet of sod (rectangles, not rolls)?

thanks,
Derek

Stonehenge
02-14-2002, 11:37 AM
10-15 minutes.

cutting edge
02-14-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

diginahole
02-14-2002, 12:34 PM
Stonehenge, is that with 2 guys? I come up with 0.7 manhours (42 mins)using 1sq yd rolls from the truck to front or side yard.

Stonehenge
02-14-2002, 01:41 PM
For us it's actually 70 yards (630 sqft), and it's 2 guys plus me watching/helping/supervising (which accounts for about 3 yards :) )

That's just laying. That's not unloading pallets from the truck. It's not cutting in, either.

Ground Master
02-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Here we get 64 ROLLS at 7 square feet each for a total of 448 sq ft. I figure on all my bids 300sq ft/man hour. We probably average 400 to 500 square feet per man hour.

diginahole
02-14-2002, 05:01 PM
TIP for paver installers: gas powered paver saws cut in sod much better and much faster than a spade or knife.

Stonehenge
02-14-2002, 06:34 PM
Digin -

It's very interesting that you say that. I was looking into getting into electronic/underground pet fencing, and tested several methods for cutting a 2" deep groove in the turf. I tried a cutoff saw, with both a diamond-tipped blade and a carbon blade. I found that the blade got packed tight full of soil in a few seconds and then didn't cut well at all.

What did you do for a blade? Did you use a rough wood-ripping blade or something?

PAPS
02-14-2002, 07:40 PM
Like Stone said.. (2) guys with me watching can lay that kind of sq. ft in about 15-20 mins no probablem... 10 mins at best.

kris
02-14-2002, 09:54 PM
I agree with the 10 - 15 minutes ... When we were younger we use to have contests ... we once laid a pallet (rolls) in under 5 minutes.... thats with the skid placed fairly close... one guy tossing the other rolling it out. Another silly contest...how many rolls in a wheelbarrow... .. it was either 24 or 25 ..and you had to push it without spilling....ohhhh those were the days lol

diginahole ... I have never seen that method used ... I personally use a sharp spade(edging shovel)... can't get the young guys to do it...they piss around with sod knife's ... I can cut circles around them and Im not down on my knees to do it.

dan deutekom
02-14-2002, 11:29 PM
Diginahole put me onto his sod cutting method several years ago and I use it when ever there is a lot of long cuts to make. Works excellent. I always keep my old worn out diamond blades for this. I find an old blade will work just as well as a good blade. I still use a sharp spade for smaller jobs. Kris I remember those kinds of silly contests. Every once and a while I still get suckered into them.:D Still win the odd one but not as often as I use to;)

Stonehenge
02-15-2002, 01:13 PM
How about this contest - how many could you carry from the skid to the layer? I maxed out at 6 rolls (1 sq yd each). They used to call me 'monkey arms.'

site
02-15-2002, 03:00 PM
On small jobs I figure 6 pallets per guy per day including driving cutting and cleanup. On jobs that are more wide open we can do a lot more. Once in Florida I witnessed a crew of about 20 guys lay down 11 tractor trailer trucks in one day including cuts (which they did with kitchen knives).
On the subject of cuts- On jobs with long cuts we use a gas powered edger. Don't try to push it thru the cuts it wont work- pull it. This works fast, and you can be very accurate. I'm anxious to try the cut off saw in the spring.
One more thing- we use the cut off saw to cut thru 6" of frost with great success.

dan deutekom
02-15-2002, 03:50 PM
I always figured about 1 pallet per guy per hour including coffee, cleanup and contests. On a good contest day..... more. 80 yards a pallet in rolls

Stonehenge
02-15-2002, 04:32 PM
For a single residential project of about 10,000 square feet, including fine grading, laying, cutting, cleanup (total - start to finish), I schedule 3 guys, 1 day. It'll be faster now with cutoff saws!! :D :cool: ;)

diginahole
02-15-2002, 04:35 PM
Stihl TS 400 = Landscapers utility knife, great for cutting sod, filter fabric, pondliner, even marking out walkways and beds ect.... as a trencher though not so much. I have often considered putting a crosscut blade on a gas saw, but so far I haven't tried it. UR UR more power.

Looks like everybody agrees little more or less than a manminiute a yard roll or strip.

12 rolls stacked on a wheelbarrow is my toughguy routine. Not to heavy but hard to balance. Stonehenge I guess youv'e eaten your pound of dirt already carrying 6 yards at a time.

cutting edge
02-27-2002, 12:02 PM
I appreciate all the replies. The only problem is everyone seems to be giving me times for laying ROLLS of sod. The sod that I will be laying is in RECTANGLES. I apologize if my original post was not clear enough on the difference.

I had one person tell me that it would take one hour for the first pallet and an hour and a half for the second. I have about five pallets to lay and I will be doing it by myself. I don't need to know prep time, just about how long it will take to put down the sod.

Thanks again,
Derek

Stonehenge
02-27-2002, 07:14 PM
Derek - I think most folks got it, but laying is laying. If the rectangles are smaller than rolls (you didn't really say how big they are), then there should be slightly higher times, but not an hour. If they're tiny rectangles, I'd suggest not using them.

kris
02-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Up here the rectangles are half the size of a roll. Half a square yard each piece.... will the pallets be close? If so ...you can carry one in each hand at a time ...generous time I think would be 2 hours by yourself (for 5)

cutting edge
02-27-2002, 11:20 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I think the rectangles are about 1'X2'. The only roles that I have seen are on television or in magazines. Around here everyone seems to be laying the smaller rectangles.

Tim Canavan
02-28-2002, 02:00 AM
Derek,

I would guess that the groung will be prepared allready to lay the sod. St. Augustine I guess. Our rectangles are 18" x 24".
I hope you can have them delivered. If you can, have them put them down in the allready prepared soil (not in the street)about 20 feet apart. This will cut down on your time moving it from the street to the yard. Make sure you grab the tops of the sod like you've got a hold of someone's hair and not the sides. It's easier to throw this way. Try and get someone to help you. One guy throws, the other straightens and cuts. Two hours tops.:cool:

cutting edge
02-28-2002, 09:34 AM
Thanks Tim. 18" x 24" sounds about right.

(btw I meant "rolls" not "roles" in the earlier post)

turfsup
05-27-2002, 09:23 PM
On average how much does a pallet of St. Augustine cost and how much will it cover in square feet? I did a search and came up empty handed.

ProMo
05-28-2002, 09:22 AM
takes me 45 minutes per 500 sf cutting in

Kent_M
06-04-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by turfsup
On average how much does a pallet of St. Augustine cost and how much will it cover in square feet? I did a search and came up empty handed.

I paid $156 for a pallet this morning. Not sure on sq. footage though. I will check the ticket for you and post tomorrow.

Kent Miley