PDA

View Full Version : What is the best multi purpose cleaner

Big C
11-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I am looking for a multi-purpose cleaner or mix for siding, brick, concrete and wood. What do you guys suggest? I would like something that is strong enough to clean second floor residential home without climbing.

yard_smart
11-06-2008, 12:57 AM
call bob at pressure tek and tell him DJ sent ya

http://pressuretek.com/

shadow745
11-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Pressure washer specific detergents are good, but IMO just cost too much. For years I've been using a mix that is cheap, very effective and won't harm plants, your machine, etc. I mix 1 pint of Simple Green, 1 pint of Clorox Outdoor Bleach and 3/4 gallon of water. The Simple Green leaves a nice smell behind and allows the mixture to cling to the surface. The bleach does most of the cleaning and gets rid of mold and mildew. I run fresh water through my pump after each use and have never had any issues with this mix. Later!

FCPWLLC
11-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Pressure washer specific detergents are good, but IMO just cost too much. For years I've been using a mix that is cheap, very effective and won't harm plants, your machine, etc. I mix 1 pint of Simple Green, 1 pint of Clorox Outdoor Bleach and 3/4 gallon of water. The Simple Green leaves a nice smell behind and allows the mixture to cling to the surface. The bleach does most of the cleaning and gets rid of mold and mildew. I run fresh water through my pump after each use and have never had any issues with this mix. Later!

My mix costs only about $2.30/gallon. Only use 4-5 gallons per typical house wash. Outdoor Clorox is much more expensive than that.

How long does it take you to wash a house with that mix? How much pressure are you using?

shadow745
11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
The Simple Green is around $9 per gallon and the Clorox Outdoor formula is maybe $3 per gallon and a half. The way I mix it I can do our entire home (2,400 sq. ft.) front porch, walkway and back deck with the $12 spent on those 2 chemicals. I've tried other pressure washer specific cleaners that are ready mixed (at Lowe's and HD) and found they didn't work as good or nearly as fast as the mix I use. Have no idea how long it takes. I foam it on, let it sit 5 or so minutes and power off.

My average pressure/flow is 2700-3000psi/3gpm for the most part with 25-40 degree nozzles.

FCPWLLC
11-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Lowes and Home Depot stuff doesn't work well.

Vinyl siding is best (safest) cleaned with low pressure (less than 100 psi) and good detergents.

We use 12% sodium hypochlorite and Simple cherry (has water softners to aide in rinse and less spotting of windows)

Typical 2 story homes cleaned in 45minutes to 1 hour and half. No ladders or extension poles.

Your soaps are right just in low stregnth forms and retail prices. Also method is not safe for vinyl. Where the weakness in chems is not working well, the high pressure is making up for. Not an issue on sturdier surfaces, just bad on vinyl where you don't want water intrusion.

Big C
11-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I am going to try Chlorox,Jomax, soap and water.....I was told by a very good source that this works the best.

Don M.
11-18-2008, 07:18 PM
I was told the wal-mart special $99 lawn mower and the electric weed eater was the best way to mow my yard. I'll keep doing it that way:dancing:

Grits
11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I was told the wal-mart special $99 lawn mower and the electric weed eater was the best way to mow my yard. I'll keep doing it that way:dancing:

Let 'em keep doing it the hard way. They obviously know how to pressure wash. Heck, I mean, they bought the best pressure washer that Lowe's had.

yard_smart
11-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Ya i mean who is this Mike cat? Like he knows anything about power washing . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ9SWMmMX2k

my favorite video by far

shadow745
11-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Let 'em keep doing it the hard way. They obviously know how to pressure wash. Heck, I mean, they bought the best pressure washer that Lowe's had.

Not everybody can afford or needs something on the "pro" level...... I bought the highest end model I could afford based on my needs around the house. What more do you need? If a guy is using a machine a handful of times yearly why spend thousands??? No reason to. The best thing at Lowe's is just fine.

And yeah I do know how to pressure wash and know the mixture I foam with works well and I intend to keep using it. I may try the Simple Cherry, but wouldn't consider 12% bleach.

I think some of you that do this for a living are a little pissed because most homeowners would rather buy a machine and do it themselves instead of paying out the big $$$ for one of you to do it.... I've seen it happen. Back in the 80's there was a guy in our area that had a large setup and he had tons of business. Well by the time the 90s hit people were buying home sized machines and doing their own pressure washing and he basically lost everything because there wasn't any business for him. I say more power to the homeowner that chooses to do this. Later!

yard_smart
11-19-2008, 09:26 AM
And for that home owner i give them cards to :

- a deck builder so they can replace the boards they just screwed up
- a mold remediation company to remove the mold and mildew from behind their siding from
using high pressure
- a therapist because while you were power washing your house you missed lil jimmy's football game and that really got to you . ..

point im trying to make is that we as professionals don't target your "kind" of home owner . . . WE go for the high end, CEO that after working 40/hrs a week the last thing he wants to do is go play in the water!!!!

If your wanna blast your house with expensive fixes more power to ya brother

CCPC
11-19-2008, 03:52 PM
And for that home owner i give them cards to :

- a deck builder so they can replace the boards they just screwed up
- a mold remediation company to remove the mold and mildew from behind their siding from
using high pressure
- a therapist because while you were power washing your house you missed lil jimmy's football game and that really got to you . ..

point im trying to make is that we as professionals don't target your "kind" of home owner . . . WE go for the high end, CEO that after working 40/hrs a week the last thing he wants to do is go play in the water!!!!

If your wanna blast your house with expensive fixes more power to ya brother

Smack!!:laugh:

Big C
11-19-2008, 10:43 PM
While doing a wash job for a guy today...his neighbor came across the street and was admiring my work..he was so impressed he asked me what would I charge him to pressure wash his house and his investment properties which turned out to be a 50 lot trailer park. I gave him a price of $7500 for everything and he agreed.....not bad for an amataur with clorox, Jomax and $350 Lowes pressure washer...huh!!:clapping::drinkup:

yard_smart
11-20-2008, 12:05 AM
thats actually awful. . . .I won't wash trailers . . . Not enough money for me

FCPWLLC
11-20-2008, 07:08 AM
While doing a wash job for a guy today...his neighbor came across the street and was admiring my work..he was so impressed he asked me what would I charge him to pressure wash his house and his investment properties which turned out to be a 50 lot trailer park. I gave him a price of $7500 for everything and he agreed.....not bad for an amataur with clorox, Jomax and $350 Lowes pressure washer...huh!!:clapping::drinkup:

Great job! That's actually a good price per Trailer. There are some that would have done those for $50/each. They should only take about 15 minutes each.
Seriously... The Jomax is a waste of your money. Try my mix and you will be sending your wife over to my place as a token of thanks.

4 gallons of 12% Sodium Hypochlorite and one gallon of Simply cherry mix (2scoops simple cherry and 1 gallon water)

Then down stream this at low pressure with your Black tip. Remove tube from chem and then rinse with same black tip.

On Trailers, I probably wouldn't even use a wand. Just a ball valve at the hose end.

Collect check and then buy a higher flow machine to speed up your work. 5.5 gpm or higher and you'll fly through the work.

poolboy
11-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Great job! That's actually a good price per Trailer. There are some that would have done those for $50/each. They should only take about 15 minutes each.
Seriously... The Jomax is a waste of your money. Try my mix and you will be sending your wife over to my place as a token of thanks.

4 gallons of 12% Sodium Hypochlorite and one gallon of Simply cherry mix (2scoops simple cherry and 1 gallon water)

Then down stream this at low pressure with your Black tip. Remove tube from chem and then rinse with same black tip.

On Trailers, I probably wouldn't even use a wand. Just a ball valve at the hose end.

Collect check and then buy a higher flow machine to speed up your work. 5.5 gpm or higher and you'll fly through the work.

Can you elaborate on your formula; I not sure what you mean with the 2 scoops of simple cherry since you've added 1 gallon of it. thanks

Don M.
11-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Can you elaborate on your formula; I not sure what you mean with the 2 scoops of simple cherry since you've added 1 gallon of it. thanks

Simple Cherry comes in powdered form. He added two scoops to 4 gallons of 12% and 1 gallon of water. He mixed the simple cherry with the gallon of water first, then mixed that gallon with the 4 gallons of 12%.

Mike, I use 5 gallon jugs of chlorine at a time. Why dont you nix the one gallon of water and mix the simple cherry with 5 gallons of chlorine. I've never used simple cherry. Just curious.

FCPWLLC
11-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Simple Cherry comes in powdered form. He added two scoops to 4 gallons of 12% and 1 gallon of water. He mixed the simple cherry with the gallon of water first, then mixed that gallon with the 4 gallons of 12%.

Mike, I use 5 gallon jugs of chlorine at a time. Why dont you nix the one gallon of water and mix the simple cherry with 5 gallons of chlorine. I've never used simple cherry. Just curious.

Because I down stream out of a 5'er. Can't fit 5 of 12% and 1 of Simple Cherry... = 6 gallons. :)

Most washes are done with less than 5 gallons anyhow. Normally 3.5-4 per house depending on size and filthiness.

divine190
01-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Campbell Hausfeld products are priced appropriately and work fine, generally people don't go for commercially packaged detergents when the usage is on largescale, they do it themselves.

yard_smart
01-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Campbell Hausfeld products are priced appropriately and work fine, generally people don't go for commercially packaged detergents when the usage is on largescale, they do it themselves.

Wow man nice site . . . did you do that your self??? I love the flash graphic at the top

Hoss315er
01-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes...it is a nice site. But are you in NV????? or NC?

T.Brandon
02-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Down streaming at 5'er? What do you mean by that? Im trying to learn so easy on me lol

green tree lawn care
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
5 gallon bucket