PDA

View Full Version : Employee Manuals/Training Videos

lamblawnscaping
02-14-2002, 05:40 PM
As we are preparing for the new season, it is pretty apparent that we will be hiring new employees to help us with our increasing workload. I was wondering what kinds of tools for training these new employees you guys use. We have been considering taking a video camera along with us at the beginning of the season and taping the whole day, and all the different tasks. We could then cut it all up and put it back together in the form of a training video. I was thinking also we could have it voiced over in spanish.

That is my vision, and I'm not absolutely sure we will do that yet, but I do know that as a bare minimum we need an employee manual (in both english and spanish) that we can provide to all new employees. They will be required to read it and will be tested. I will keep signed copies for each employee on file in case they claim not to understand our policies or procedures. I'm sure some of you have these and would love to hear how you how you organized them (I know it is different for every business). I'm thinking sections on safety, absenteeism (did I spell that right), substance abuse, chain of command, steps involved with particular jobs, equipment care, paperwork, etc.

Perhaps one of you would like to collaborate on a manual we could both use?

LawnLad
02-14-2002, 05:55 PM
When you write you employee manual you'll want to be careful about what you put in it since there will be some legal ramifications. Do you have to have an attorney right it.... that's your choice. But if you want to put your guys to sleep, that's a good way to do it. But you might have your attorney review the completed copy when you're done to make sure you're not opening yourself up to any big problems.

There are some books out with sample sections for an employee manual. Use the format from one or more of these guides to help you come up with your format/outline and then flush it in for your company. This will be much easier than just sitting with paper/pencil in hand scratching your head trying to decide what to write.

It's a great thing to have an employee manual. Just like having job descriptions. Only... you'll have the 'children' of the company say "that wasn't in my manual" and similar comments. But it's definetly a good way to keep from having to repeat yourself about your uniform, hours of operations, etc.

One word of caution, be careful about what you put in print as a policy. There is a difference between a Policies Handbook, A Procedures Handbook and an Operations Handbook. You might want to stick to Procedures first. Stay away from stating policies as this is where more of your legal mumbo jumbo comes in. Such as drug testing and the implication of Americans with Disabilities Act.

PS - I like you training video idea. With computers and digital cameras today, you can do all of that yourself. What a great idea.

stslawncare
02-14-2002, 07:01 PM
sounds like a great idea, i agree u shuold have an attorney review it atleast, similar thing to what i was looking for infact.