PDA

View Full Version : Letters......

worx
11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I would like to write some letters to a few select home owners in my area about landscape lighting. Have any of you done this? How were the results? Any suggestions on what to include on the letter? Just want to make sure nothing is left out. All help will be appreciated.

NightLightingFX
11-07-2008, 01:19 AM
If it is just a few homes I wanted to target. I wouldn't waste my time writing a letter and then wondering if they will ever contact you. Why don't you just knock on the door and ask to do a demo?

worx
11-07-2008, 09:04 AM
I guess I'm just not that bold......?:confused:

Venturewest
11-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I mainly have just heard of doing this in neighborhoods where you have done installs or demos. Invite the neighbors to take a look at your work.

I am in the same situation in my area with some fantastic neighborhoods and homes. The neighborhoods are private and closed to any door to door solicitation. I think the hard part would be to get them to open the envelope and read the letter. I do like the idea of the letter being more direct and personal.

I have thought about just having 8' x 10' glossy post cards printed. Maybe the letter could be attached to something like the post card.

I drive by some of those neighborhoods with 8000+ sq. ft homes with no low voltage lighting and think, "there is a years worth of work in that one little neighborhood".

NightLightingFX
11-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Steve Parrott posted something a while back about marketing to these kind of prospects. As I recall it was about stepping out of your comfort zone. Target a key prospect find out who they are and figure out a way to meet them. Whether in a business situation or how ever you can do it. The way I am describing it it sounds like stalking??? Maybe Steve will see this and clarify what I am trying to say?

NightLightingFX
11-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I guess I'm just not that bold......?:confused:

Worx,
C'mon... If you are afraid to knock on someones door, you have a huge marketing disadvantage.

JoeyD
11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Go bang that door down and sell yourself! Tell them you want to show them what you are capable of doing by setting a no obligation demo!!! But write those letters as well. A letter cant hurt!!

worx
11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Ned your right, I do need to step out of my "comfort zone." I guess I have a preconceived notion of door to door salesman.

But back to the letter, I'm guessing it should be short and sweet. Include a free consult and demo. Briefly discuss the benefits of low voltage lighting. Company information (license info.) contact information.....anything else?

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
11-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Venturewest:
If it is a neighborhood closed to door-to-door solicitation and you have done one front yard job in there, you could take a pic of that house and put it on a postcard and do a micro-mailing to that neighborhood. Trust me, the neighbors will recognize the house. It also works well on the "keeping up with the joneses" motivation.

worx: I'd be concerned the letter would get lost in the mix of everything else in the mail. If it is just a few, and you know their name, you might want to hand deliver to their door with only their first name on the envelope. I guarantee they will at least open this letter and look at it for a second. With that delivery method it might have been from a friend!

But if you really want to have fun, go ahead and knock on the door or ring the doorbell. Trust me, your heart will be racing the first few times you do it. But, really most people are nice and will respond if they dont feel you are pushy. It's easy:
1) Tell them your name
2) Let them know you have worked on their neighbors home. (and generally point to where it is-even if a block away or two)
3) Tell them what you do.
4) Hand them a postcard or brochure. If you hand it to them without really saying anything-90% of the time they will reach out and take it.
4) Ask them if they ever thought of ___? (then WAIT FOR THE ANSWER) the blank here can be anything, like "extending the twilight hours OR beautifying their home at night OR safety issues" OR anything really
5) Complement their home
6) Tell them it would look amazing lit up and can you do a demo?
7) SHUT UP and wait for them to process.
8) Thank them either way (hey, they still have the postcard and might call you later after talking to the spouse, right?)

Anything I'm missing here, guys?

PS I use quantumdigital.com as I can make a postcard in minutes and have it sent out to as many or few people as I want. I can really micro target, which is cool. Usually sent the within 2 days!! They are about .53/std size and .80/jumbo size each.

NightLightingFX
11-08-2008, 10:50 PM
I agree with Elegant Outdoor Lighting,
Again if it is just a few homes, the odds are you won't get any kind of response. If you knock on the door and talk to them. You will know where they stand. Don't take the approach that you are a door to door salesman - you aren't. You are approaching a couple of very nice homes that stand out. The first thing I would say to them is complement them on their beautiful home and explain to them that you can really enhance the beauty of their home when it gets dark. I would volunteer to do a free demo for them.

Steve B
11-10-2008, 03:44 AM
A response for a letter like that would likely be less than 1%. Probably far less in my experience. I've done something similar to sell my underground dog fences and I got one job out of 1,500 letters mailed. So, I agree with the approaches above.

If you do the letter thing, you should plan on mailing to the same people at least three times over a 6 or 8 month period. The repitition will help you build trust with them.

NightLightingFX
11-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Steve,
What kind of Dog fence system to you sell. I have been a dealer for Petstop for 2 years. I have no compeditors in my area but business hasn't taken off. In a two years time I have done about 20 jobs.
~Ned

Steve B
11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm independent - so, I represent several different brands.

If you want to PM me or call - I'll be glad to share some ideas with you. My website is www.DerbysFence.com.