PDA

View Full Version : Late season aeration question.

karlgrooms
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
I live in WNC. What would be the draw backs of mid November aerification. It has just been to dry here to consider doing it, but would like to do it after rains next week if they actually make it here.

Not the green thumb guy
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Can you let me know when you get a response? I am near Charlotte and would also like to airigate my lawn and fertilize.

Kiril
11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
No drawbacks as long as the soil is not too wet (eg. you don't want to add to your compaction problems). Compost topdress, no fertilizer.

karlgrooms
11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I live in WNC. What would be the draw backs of mid November aerating. It has just been to dry here to consider doing it, but would like to do it after rains next week if they actually make it here.

What about December. On a day when the ground is not froze. After all the leaves are mulched and winterizer is down. It seems like it could be a good time as winter rains and snows could move the organic materials down to the roots below. Or would it be an added stress to the grass.... because the root system would be exposed to cold dry air more freely.

Maybe to much time with back pack blower roaring is making me just plumb crazy.... and.... giving too much time to focus on weird topics, such as pros and cons of winter aerating.

greenskeeper44
11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
You can aerate any time in the year it will not hurt anything. Just be careful if there are hot and dry conditions because the soil will dry out faster after being aerated.