PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever cleaned stalls/stables with a leaf vac?

SuperDuty335
11-08-2008, 04:37 PM
I have a lot of horse stalls to clean (bedding material mixed with poo, etc) and was wondering if a lawn vacuum like Little Wonder or Billy Goat would work? I know it's a strange question but any advice is appreciated.

KGR landscapeing
11-08-2008, 04:43 PM
a pitch fork dosent cut it? i know a couple of the horse barns i plow for dont even clean the whole stall just the area where the horse goes most of the time. Now i was a farm kid back in the day and we had to shovel it and ramp it in the spreader. I dont think a leaf vac would do it that well and it would be like torture if it did. And my idea of a good time dosent include flying poop

SuperDuty335
11-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Yea, a pitch fork will do it but when you have 485 stalls to clean at once it might take a little too long. The Little Wonder is advertised as a "debris" vacuum which led me to think it might work.

KGR landscapeing
11-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Yea, a pitch fork will do it but when you have 485 stalls to clean at once it might take a little too long. The Little Wonder is advertised as a "debris" vacuum which led me to think it might work.

That is a rather large amount. Are you thinking along the lines of lik a truck mounted leaf loader or bigger trailer mountd one? I dont think a walkbehind would do the job a larger one will suck up anything

treegal1
11-08-2008, 08:08 PM
we have an old city owned leaf vac and it will suck up pavement.

SuperDuty335
11-09-2008, 11:04 AM
It will be truck or trailer mounted.

muddstopper
11-09-2008, 11:12 AM
What are you going to do with all the old poo. Im thinking what a great compost material and extra income, if you have a place to store it. I can only imagine the amount of compost you would get from 485 stalls, I get a 6x10 dump trailer load from my brothers three stalls about every 3 or 4 weeks.

He used to borrow my old stiener tractor with the scoop to clean out his stalls. It was the only thing small enough to fit thru the stall doors. He has now went back to using a fork and shovel to clean his stalls, it was just to hard to manuver inside a stall with a tractor. One of those ride on mini skids would probably work well.

treegal1
11-09-2008, 11:35 AM
What are you going to do with all the old poo. Im thinking what a great compost material and extra income, if you have a place to store it. I can only imagine the amount of compost you would get from 485 stalls, I get a 6x10 dump trailer load from my brothers three stalls about every 3 or 4 weeks.

He used to borrow my old stiener tractor with the scoop to clean out his stalls. It was the only thing small enough to fit thru the stall doors. He has now went back to using a fork and shovel to clean his stalls, it was just to hard to manuver inside a stall with a tractor. One of those ride on mini skids would probably work well.
I see 485x 50 lbs a day for a total of 24000 and change, or 12 tons a day that after 3 turns and 45 days is er ah oh about 362$ a day in compost plus the top dress fees and the charge for the removal and disposal, thats what I do!!! and I make a killing......

2low4NH
11-10-2008, 12:42 AM
the poo will clog the vac!!! wet leaves that are a seasonal old that start breaking down will plug the vacs if they are moist so went shavings and poo will really bury you elbows deep in the intake. it will however move the shavings and move them very quick

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
11-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I've sold some Billy Goat KV, MV and VQ series for that very application. The main two complaints are noise and dust. Run the RPM as low as you can yet still pick up the debris. Normally what is done is the stalls are scooped then vacuumed. Vacuums don't much like wet horseapples as they are actually quite aerodynamic and heavy (when fresh).

Now that I think about it, I know way too much about poo... I need to get a life.

Drew

corey4671
11-13-2008, 09:29 PM
could you rent a dingo with a bucket to do the job?

weasel
11-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Well there are a lot than can go wrong

1 Horses freak out kick a wall or door and get hurt, stress colic, etc
2 In the winter with not as much ventilation the carbon monoxide will effect the horses at a 40 percent faster rate and depening on the barn design it will linger around longer
3 Do you pick the stalls out daily? What kind of bedding are in these stalls?
4 Now to help you out go to greystoneusainc.com and check out this product
I have one and it worked fine.
5 I live in a college town and every year I advertise in the school paper for barn help and chicks love horses and they look mighty fine cleaning stalls in tight little Wrangler's so this is my method...