PDA

View Full Version : 0% interest???

Construct'O
11-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Well guys what do you think? Is the 0% percent interest here to stay or will it disappear with the bailouts and tight money?

I see some is still going until Dec.31.The 0% interest has been making my discussion on things here lately right or wrong:confused:

What is your thoughts and how has or will it affect your buying now and later?

Well off to work winter is on the way here:usflag:

AWJ Services
11-09-2008, 09:37 AM
You will see it disappear for a short time.
Take advantage of it and tax benefits for this fiscal year.
Cat has 24 months 0% on attachments till the end of the year at my dealer.
I plan on taking advantage of it .LOL

SellingIron
11-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Everyone should be 0% for the rest of 2008. Take advantage of Section 179.. I see it going until at least 1st qtr. of 2009. Bobcat has 0% @ 42 on S/N# attachments ($3K and up) and 0% @ 50 months on iron...

AWJ Services
11-09-2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.crestcapital.com/tax_deduction_calculator

Here is a depreciation calculator.

bobcat_ron
11-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm definitely not buying anything new or used regardless of interest rates, it's just to good to be true and you know something is fishy at this time of year.

RockSet N' Grade
11-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Ive seen 0% interest and given it some thought. If I have signed up jobs and I need the implement for those jobs, I will consider it. I just bought a breaker for skid/ho and paid for 60% of it on two jobs I had lined up. I also balanced that with my taxes and it made bottom line sense for me to purchase.
The hook I can see in 0% is that hides what the final purchase price really is......is the unit cost more with 0%? or the same? Anything on terms and conditions that prohibit you from shortening the payback time are also a consideration. Profit is packaged in there somehow with 0% being the sales "hook". Read the whole enchilada before being swayed by the promotions.

bobcatuser
11-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think the 0% will last much longer. If you have good cash flow buy now, I'm glad I did. All of my new stuff was bought when the Canadian dollar was at par with USD.

Gravel Rat
11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Equipment dealers are no different than car dealers they flash around no payments or 0% for so many months. Get you all excited and roped into a contract then let the skarooing begin. Dealers never want to loose money they will always get you in the end. You not pay much at the start but longer into the deal they will make that money up.

When ever you want to buy a machine you want everything laid out on the table. Your payments will be xxxxx amount of money per month till the machine is paid for. Your payments shouldn't change you get locked in at a fair interest rate.

Equipment dealers are going to get really slow and sales are going to drop. For Finnings Canada (cat) they are going to see a huge drop with the Alberta tar sands are starting to slow down. The Tar sands cost too much money to extract the oil from the sand. They can't compete when the price of oil drops because oil from drilled wells is cheaper to produce.

You will see new equipment prices drop this slow is just started.

Caterpillar is going to be the worst one hit because they have the higher prices and the bad attitude.

In my mind its always better to deal with your bank or a broker they won't play any funny games with you. The dealer gets paid outright so they have nothing they can do to squeeze more money out of you.

all ferris
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
The interest rates might be 0% right now but trade-in values are way low.

I just talked to the bobcat dealer about trading in my 2002 T200 on a S250. My machine is about as clean as a 1900hr machine can be, has the gold package, new OEM tracks, and had all new rollers and idlers put on about 400 hours ago. Dealer wanted to give me $12,000:dizzy::dizzy: I about fell over when he told me this. I told him to pi$$ up a rope. He must not want my business too bad because his numbers were terrible.

SellingIron
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM

I just talked to the bobcat dealer about trading in my 2002 T200 on a S250. My machine is about as clean as a 1900hr machine can be, has the gold package, new OEM tracks, and had all new rollers and idlers put on about 400 hours ago. Dealer wanted to give me $12,000:dizzy::dizzy: I about fell over when he told me this. I told him to pi$$ up a rope. He must not want my business too bad because his numbers were terrible.

What did you pay for the T200 new? Also, what kind of sales number did they give you on the S250...:usflag:

SellingIron
11-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Equipment dealers are no different than car dealers they flash around no payments or 0% for so many months. Get you all excited and roped into a contract then let the skarooing begin. Dealers never want to loose money they will always get you in the end. You not pay much at the start but longer into the deal they will make that money up.

When ever you want to buy a machine you want everything laid out on the table. Your payments will be xxxxx amount of money per month till the machine is paid for. Your payments shouldn't change you get locked in at a fair interest rate.

Equipment dealers are going to get really slow and sales are going to drop. For Finnings Canada (cat) they are going to see a huge drop with the Alberta tar sands are starting to slow down. The Tar sands cost too much money to extract the oil from the sand. They can't compete when the price of oil drops because oil from drilled wells is cheaper to produce.

You will see new equipment prices drop this slow is just started.

Caterpillar is going to be the worst one hit because they have the higher prices and the bad attitude.

In my mind its always better to deal with your bank or a broker they won't play any funny games with you. The dealer gets paid outright so they have nothing they can do to squeeze more money out of you.

What kind of funny games do they play?? Get the list price for the package. Compare that to the discount the salesman is giving you. A 0% finance program. Divide that by how many months.. There's your monthly payment...

mrsops
11-09-2008, 08:03 PM

12,000 they have to make money to they would prob turn around and sell it for 17,000 if that. Remember its going to be 7 years old and its almost got 2000 hrs on it which i would never buy a track machine with 2,000 hrs on it and its a t200 which they don't even make anymore

SellingIron
11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
12,000 they have to make money to they would prob turn around and sell it for 17,000 if that. Remember its going to be 7 years old and its almost got 2000 hrs on it which i would never buy a track machine with 2,000 hrs on it and its a t200 which they don't even make anymore

Yup!!!It seems like the new trend is to wholesale the machine. If a dealer keeps it around. Thats money just sitting and not in there bank. The wholesale number is going to be less. Sometimes the customer is better off trying to sell it themselves...

mrsops
11-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Yup!!!It seems like the new trend is to wholesale the machine. If a dealer keeps it around. Thats money just sitting and not in there bank. The wholesale number is going to be less. Sometimes the customer is better off trying to sell it themselves...

your right selling iron i have sold many machines on my own i just recently traded in my t190 a few months ago because of all the special offers they gave i got that 2,500 trade in package and another 2,500 on the summer cool down package so they gave me a total of 20,000 for my 2005 t190 with 1600 hrs on it and it needed new tracks. There is no way in hell i was getting 20,000 from someone on the streets

all ferris
11-09-2008, 08:28 PM

So you don't mind when a dealer makes $5000 on you plus whatever they made on the new machine?

ksss
11-09-2008, 08:29 PM

It is important to know the other half of the equation as Selling Iron pointed out.

As has been discussed on many threads, the used CTL market is and has for years been soft. They have little value on the used market. The thread I posted on the 05 257B with 1100 hours brought 10K at auction. A BC that old is lucky to bring 12K. Actual money I'll bet it is even less.

I suspect many that have purchased tracked machines during the boom period 02-06 for most parts of the country, are looking to trade or sell off machines are finding out that there is practically no bottom to this tracked machine market.

It underscores the points that were made several years ago when the tracked machine rage was in full swing. They are more productive in many applications than are tires, but the upfront costs and upkeep is much higher. Then as the resale values have dropped like a rock, you not only pay more upfront and during ownership, but you take an asskicking when you want to roll out of the machine. The key to successful CTL/MTL ownership is you need to really make money with this machines, and when you do, SAVE SOME OF IT, because your gonna need it.

If your buying new, accept the fact that your machine regardless of how pristine it maybe, will be worth about 30% of what you paid for it after 1000 hours. For most machines that will be about 15K. So here is my thought, plan on keeping the machine for 2-2500 hours. Plan for replacing the undercarriage sometime during ownership at least once. Take your asskicking for the first 1K. The last 1-1.5K that is yours. Your machine will not devalue much more. After 2500 hours the machine should not owe you anything, take whatever RB, Iron Planet or your dealer will give you for it. The days of rolling machines over at 1K is largely over, especially for CTL/MTL owners. I am seeing it effect the tire machines as well. I am personally going to keep my current machines longer than I have since the late 90's.

The other solution for CTL/MTL owners is buy used, great deals, someone else took the asskicking. You get the benifits without all the costs.

mrsops
11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
So you don't mind when a dealer makes $5000 on you plus whatever they made on the new machine?

a dealer wouldnt make 5,000 off me i wouldnt trade it in for 12,000 if i was you try selling it on your own first then go back to the dealer. Unless there is something wrong with the machine and it needs work then its worth trading it in but you said its real clean so put it on ebay and make your 17,000

mrsops
11-09-2008, 08:34 PM
It is important to know the other half of the equation as Selling Iron pointed out.

As has been discussed on many threads, the used CTL market is and has for years been soft. They have little value on the used market. The thread I posted on the 05 257B with 1100 hours brought 10K at auction. A BC that old is lucky to bring 12K. Actual money I'll bet it is even less.

I suspect many that have purchased tracked machines during the boom period 02-06 for most parts of the country, are looking to trade or sell off machines are finding out that there is practically no bottom to this tracked machine market.

It underscores the points that were made several years ago when the tracked machine rage was in full swing. They are more productive in many applications than are tires, but the upfront costs and upkeep is much higher. Then as the resale values have dropped like a rock, you not only pay more upfront and during ownership, but you take an asskicking when you want to roll out of the machine. The key to successful CTL/MTL ownership is you need to really make money with this machines, and when you do, SAVE SOME OF IT, because your gonna need it.

If your buying new, accept the fact that your machine regardless of how pristine it maybe, will be worth about 30% of what you paid for it after 1000 hours. For most machines that will be about 15K. So here is my thought, plan on keeping the machine for 2-2500 hours. Plan for replacing the undercarriage sometime during ownership at least once. Take your asskicking for the first 1K. The last 1-1.5K that is yours. Your machine will not devalue much more. After 2500 hours the machine should not owe you anything, take whatever RB, Iron Planet or your dealer will give you for it. The days of rolling machines over at 1K is largely over, especially for CTL/MTL owners. I am seeing it effect the tire machines as well. I am personally going to keep my current machines longer than I have since the late 90's.

The other solution for CTL/MTL owners is buy used, great deals, someone else took the asskicking. You get the benifits without all the costs.

Hey ksss if you get those mclaren nu air tires im really interested to see what you think about them if you did i think i want to put a set on my 205

Digdeep
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Just to add a couple of cents to what ksss said. It's not just the CTL market that is hard hit right now, skids and all other equipment is being impacted by the down market. Just think, there is a great opportunity to buy a machine before the end of the year and take some serious right offs (50%) and the market is still down. Remember that a trade is a negative cash flow deal for the dealer and he either has to floor plan it or keep it on his books as a cash item. If he doesn't move it quickly it starts to have a real negative impact on his cash flow. Couple that with the slow new machine market, increases in wholesale floorplanning that are near impossible to come by, credit for new machine purchases drying up, and you see why dealers are skittish.

Scag48
11-09-2008, 08:50 PM

That's a little harsh, but for a dealer I think that's what they would have to give you for it to make anything on it. I think private party that machine would be worth $20K on a good day, so you'd be wiping about $8K off what you could get for it, assuming you could sell it for that. Trading in stuff is no good unless you really know your dealer. They have to make money somewhere.

mrsops
11-09-2008, 08:55 PM
That's a little harsh. I think private party that machine would be worth $20K, so you'd be wiping about $8K off what you could get for it. Trading in stuff is no good unless you really know your dealer. They have to make money somewhere.

20,000?? if someone paid 20,000 for 2002 with 1900 hrs they just have to much money or they just love bobcat equipment

Scag48
11-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt. If you think about $20K private party on the high end, it actually makes that $12K trade in worth it. I figure private party would be $15-18K in actuality, $20K if you got lucky. So, for $12K, you could just be done with it all together, that almost makes sense.

stuvecorp
11-09-2008, 11:07 PM

I did think about finding a used track machine instead of a new one but went with the new machine because of the whole package I got. But, I do know that I will have to keep the machine for a long time in order to not take a bath. I also plan of using it for certain projects so I am hoping to prolong track/undercarrage life.

bobcatuser
11-09-2008, 11:11 PM

If you're happy paying 9% and jumping through hoops, then go with the bank.

The bank rate is always twice what you can get with vendor financing for commercial loans. You won't see any savings going with a bank unless you have collateral for a secured loan.

The dealer gets paid outright any way you deal.

ksss
11-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I did think about finding a used track machine instead of a new one but went with the new machine because of the whole package I got. But, I do know that I will have to keep the machine for a long time in order to not take a bath. I also plan of using it for certain projects so I am hoping to prolong track/undercarrage life.

I think a big plus for you and others is you have the ability to pick the best machine for the job. That will extend the life of your machine and maximize your profit margins. My goal was/is to get the VTS on the 440 and pickup another 440 and leave the wheels on it. I may also find a used 440CT and sell my VTS. The economic conditions will be the driver of what I do, if it does not get any better than it is now, I will do neither. The ultimate goal is I can then keep the tracked machine doing what it does best and keep it out of the environments where running tracks cost you money. I have always maintained that anytime your running a tracked machine in an environment that a wheeled machine can run in with the same level of productivity, that tracked machine is costing you money, with some of these tracked machines running a depreciation rate of $30.00 an hour it is easy to see how fast the costs can add up. If they are running they better be making you money.

Scag48
11-09-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm predicting track machines will decline in the next 2 years in comparison to wheeled machines. Not due to the economic downturn, but this tracked machine fad that everyone jumped on is costing everyone money 2 years later. The heat of the tracked machine buying spree was in '05, now everyone is losing their ass on a machine 3 years later when they turn it in for trade or have to get out of them due to a slowdown in work. I think the track machine market has hit its peak for a while, once people realize how much the track machines are actually costing them per hour to operate, it doesn't look like such a great idea anymore unless you absolutely need tracks on 90% of the work you do. In relativity to the economic downturn, I see skid steer sales slowing down linearly with all other types of equipment and track loaders to take a complete dump in sales. That's just my prediction.

ksss
11-09-2008, 11:53 PM
If you're happy paying 9% and jumping through hoops, then go with the bank.

The bank rate is always twice what you can get with vendor financing for commercial loans. You won't see any savings going with a bank unless you have collateral for a secured loan.

The dealer gets paid outright any way you deal.

All the above is very true. OEM money is much less hassle and better rates almost all the time.

AWJ Services
11-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Going on 3 years in my tracked machine and you could not pour me in a wheeled machine.
I will never own one.
:drinkup:

bobcatuser
11-10-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm predicting track machines will decline in the next 2 years in comparison to wheeled machines. Not due to the economic downturn, but this tracked machine fad that everyone jumped on is costing everyone money 2 years later. The heat of the tracked machine buying spree was in '05, now everyone is losing their ass on a machine 3 years later when they turn it in for trade or have to get out of them due to a slowdown in work. I think the track machine market has hit its peak for a while, once people realize how much the track machines are actually costing them per hour to operate, it doesn't look like such a great idea anymore unless you absolutely need tracks on 90% of the work you do. In relativity to the economic downturn, I see skid steer sales slowing down linearly with all other types of equipment and track loaders to take a complete dump in sales. That's just my prediction.

I think you will see adjustments with many new businesses.

It should tell you something when the CAT rental store wonít rent MTLís, all they have is skid steers with over tire tracks. United rentals charge $600/day for a CT322 vs $250/day for a skid steer.

Most of my customers canít believe the production I get with the new T320 and they donít have a problem paying extra for it.

stuvecorp
11-10-2008, 12:55 AM

I think you have a good point but if you asked alot of guys they couldn't tell you what their track machine costs per hour, they just 'have to have it'. I always preach not having tracked machines but all my machines are running tracks but I think the biggest factor is being careful with the tracks. With the 70xt I can always take off the VTS and run tires if the project calls for it. I see some guys doing power turns on blacktop at full throttle and wonder do they think about what they are doing?

Gravel Rat
11-10-2008, 12:57 AM
I don't think you will see tracked skids dissapearing anytime soon.

A wheeled skid around my area is useless because of the terrian your working on.

stuvecorp
11-10-2008, 12:59 AM
I think a big plus for you and others is you have the ability to pick the best machine for the job. That will extend the life of your machine and maximize your profit margins. My goal was/is to get the VTS on the 440 and pickup another 440 and leave the wheels on it. I may also find a used 440CT and sell my VTS. The economic conditions will be the driver of what I do, if it does not get any better than it is now, I will do neither. The ultimate goal is I can then keep the tracked machine doing what it does best and keep it out of the environments where running tracks cost you money. I have always maintained that anytime your running a tracked machine in an environment that a wheeled machine can run in with the same level of productivity, that tracked machine is costing you money, with some of these tracked machines running a depreciation rate of $30.00 an hour it is easy to see how fast the costs can add up. If they are running they better be making you money.

I think you have shown that you can still run wheeled skids and prosper in your market.

ccstrebe
11-10-2008, 09:01 AM

Excellent points

Mr. Rain
11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
As far as the low trade in value question, I think Bobcat owners can thank Bobcat for that. Those huge rebates and incentives they put out this summer and fall to dump all their extra new inventory pretty well killed any used value.

It would seem to me that most of the 0% finance programs come from the manufacturer, not the dealer. Kind of like buying a new car, every program is different. Some require you to give up some cash option, some don't. Horse-a-piece for the dealer.

SellingIron
11-10-2008, 12:39 PM
As far as the low trade in value question, I think Bobcat owners can thank Bobcat for that. Those huge rebates and incentives they put out this summer and fall to dump all their extra new inventory pretty well killed any used value.

It would seem to me that most of the 0% finance programs come from the manufacturer, not the dealer. Kind of like buying a new car, every program is different. Some require you to give up some cash option, some don't. Horse-a-piece for the dealer.

The 0% program does come from the manufacturer unless you have a dealer wanting the buy down the rate(not happening). Any brand on the market being traded in right now. You are going to lose... Sell it yourself. Problem is you can't find a buyer...Another issue with CTL's is. Customers finance for 48 or 60 month terms. You are going to be upside until the 3rd or 4th year depending on which term you go with. Most machines will hold up better with owner operator setups....:usflag:

bobcat_ron
11-10-2008, 02:47 PM
The 0% program does come from the manufacturer unless you have a dealer wanting the buy down the rate(not happening). Any brand on the market being traded in right now. You are going to lose... Sell it yourself. Problem is you can't find a buyer...Another issue with CTL's is.

No wonder my dealer can't get rid of my old T190.

coopers
11-11-2008, 03:05 AM
No wonder my dealer can't get rid of my old T190.

Does he really still have it?!

Construct'O
11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Another thing is to get the 0% interest they will do a credit check and if you don't get a good report then you might not or will not get the 0% deal!!!!!:usflag:

bobcat_ron
11-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Does he really still have it?!

Yup, they dropped the price from $27,100 to $26,000!!
Here it is:

http://catused.cat.com/en/Equipment/BOBCAT-INGERSOLL-RAND/SKID-STEER-LOADERS/t190/816142/For-Sale.aspx

Scag48
11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I think you have a good point but if you asked alot of guys they couldn't tell you what their track machine costs per hour, they just 'have to have it'. I always preach not having tracked machines but all my machines are running tracks but I think the biggest factor is being careful with the tracks. With the 70xt I can always take off the VTS and run tires if the project calls for it. I see some guys doing power turns on blacktop at full throttle and wonder do they think about what they are doing?

I think I should also that include that the majority of the sales of tracked machines for the next couple years will be by guys who know the operating costs and actually have a clue as to why they have one. The days of buying a tracked machine just because a guy thinks it's superior to a wheeled machine in all conditions are over. A tracked machine is absolutely necessary for some and they will continue to run them, but the new guys jumping on the bandwagon will be no more.

mrsops
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Here it is:

http://catused.cat.com/en/Equipment/BOBCAT-INGERSOLL-RAND/SKID-STEER-LOADERS/t190/816142/For-Sale.aspx

i think they should still drop it more

P.Services
11-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Here it is:

that thing isnt even worth 20k. they are effeing crazy!!!!

bobcat_ron
11-11-2008, 12:30 PM
i think they should still drop it more

I think they should bring it to Vancouver Harbour and use it as a boat anchor.

If I had tried to trade it off now, I would have been screwed, I got $23,500 a year ago when the dollar was strong, now I think it would have fetched $15,000. I am sooooooo lucky I bit the bullet a year ago!

P.Services
11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
i was going to ask you what they gave you for it. i think cat got bent over on that deal!!

bobcat_ron
11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
that thing isnt even worth 20k. they are effeing crazy!!!!

I really want to pick up some filters for the Cat, and I feel like bugging my sales rep about it.

bobcat_ron
11-11-2008, 12:38 PM
i was going to ask you what they gave you for it. i think cat got bent over on that deal!!

It was the exposure they wanted, they knew damn well that I was all over the Upper Fraser Valley with it, and being a long time Bobcat owner/operator, they knew that if they gave me what I wanted for it, I should give it, good for me, somewhat OK for them.

Gravel Rat
11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
That looks good on Finnings they probably have lots of used equipment that isn't selling.

bobcat_ron
11-11-2008, 03:33 PM
That looks good on Finnings they probably have lots of used equipment that isn't selling.

Excavators and dozers and anything large moves PDQ around there and in between branches, but skid steers, people seem to know that if they see a trade in Bobcat or Deere or even a Case on a Cat dealer's yard, there must be something really wrong with it. And lucky for me, lots of people I have talked to at the Bobcat dealers yard have heard my story from me and the Bobcat sales people. :laugh:

Gravel Rat
11-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think people buy used Bobcat machines period :laugh:

Your lucky to get rid of the Bobcrap while you did. In todays market Finnings probably would have said no trades.

bobcatuser
11-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I think they should bring it to Vancouver Harbour and use it as a boat anchor.

If I had tried to trade it off now, I would have been screwed, I got $23,500 a year ago when the dollar was strong, now I think it would have fetched $15,000. I am sooooooo lucky I bit the bullet a year ago!

They gave you top dollar because it was a Bobcat, If it was a CAT machine on trade they might not be as generous. Based on Iron Planet Sales.

Where can I buy low hour Bobcat equipment cheap?

qps
11-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Got a flyer in the mail a few weeks ago for CASE excavators 0% for 60 months....also the 0% for 50 from bobcat....:hammerhead:

bobcat_ron
11-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Where can I buy low hour Bobcat equipment cheap?

Bobcat Country has a bunch of stock they are slashing prices on.

bobcatuser
11-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Bobcat Country has a bunch of stock they are slashing prices on.

When they sell for full MSRP they consider that price slashing, what do they have on special?

bobcat_ron
11-12-2008, 03:19 PM
When they sell for full MSRP they consider that price slashing, what do they have on special?

All the crap left behind, used attachments mainly.