PDA

View Full Version : Phone book advertising

honeydopm
11-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I recently signed a one year contract with Yellowbook for a dollar size ad and i was wondering what kind of feedback you guys have had from advertising in any phone book. This is my second year in business so money is definetly an issue but i think it will be worth it.

EpicPaul
11-09-2008, 11:36 AM
It depends on your area from what I see on here, I see some people say its a waste of money and others find it works good. As for me its somewhere down the midle so I find its worth the money but my add is fairly basic so it pays for itself pretty easy.

shane mapes
11-09-2008, 11:56 AM
here in northern ca. i did a ad a few years ago. bus. card size in the yellow pages. it ran $165.00 per month.every time i got a call i would ask where did get our info. most of the time it was from flyer's. i had 3 calls all year. the ads here don't pay for themselves.what does pay for me is service magic. i sign 95% of the calls for one year contracts.but i'm the only one n my surrounding area that uses them just my 2cents

honeydopm
11-09-2008, 12:09 PM
What is service magic?

DLAWNS
11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I used yellowbook and hated them. I only got a few calls from it, they messed up my ad, and had terrible customer service. I stopped the ad for this year. In the future I might do a small one with the other yellow pages in my area.

Dunlaps LawnCare
11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
we used the talking phone book sucked messed up are ad terrible customer service and no calls

atasteofnature
11-09-2008, 03:50 PM
i am also signing up with service magic and i think it will help also because i will be the only one in the area on it.

atasteofnature
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.servicemagic.com/ This is a company you sign up with that gets your name out there. People go to thier website to find help with many projects and if your on thier list of contractors they will send the client your way. You pay a fee to get started and a fee per lead. There is other ways they get your name out there as well.

YardPro
11-09-2008, 05:34 PM
there is one basic flaw with service magic....

they charge you for every lead you get sent...

how many of you peruse the net and request info or prices on things you really have no intention of buying??????

this is the issue with service magic...you pay $35.00/lead no matter if they are just tire kickers, etc....

LawnNeedz
11-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I personally have had great success with advertising in the phonebook. We have yellowbook and yellow pages and I advertise in both. This is the only form of marketing that I pay for and I have been pleased with the results. I currently have more work than I can handle and the phone keeps ringing. I am sure it depends on your area though. I would definitely give it a try!

atasteofnature
11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
oh wait yardpro....think outside that box....pay for few leads and then do good work for them and then those leads get you leads that you DON'T pay for. Far fetch but it is there or whatever. :)

pnkflydlvr
11-17-2008, 03:30 AM
try advertising on specialty websites where you know people will need your services. I have an ad up on http://www.american-apartment-owners-association.org/ and it is wayyyyyy cheaper than what yellow pages is charging, i mean like in the ball park of $60 a year. You are directly marketing to the people who need you so, so it won't be wasted advertising.

Hokie84
11-17-2008, 01:48 PM
The yellow book has been as good as any other advertising for our hardscaping business. Service magic was awful. Complete waste of money and time. Too many paid leads would not even agree to have you come out to give them an estimate. Many would not even acknowledge your emails or phone calls. Of over 20 paid leads in two years, I got 2 jobs (they were the smallest jobs I have done to date).