PDA

View Full Version : jobsite heater

JimmyStew
11-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Hello all,

I'm in the process of finishing up a new storage/work shed. Its primary use is simply storing tools & materials. Not real big, but big enough to use as a workshop on occasion. I've been borrowing a kerosene forced air torpedo heater to take the chill off this fall during construction which works great. Thus, I'd like to purchase my own to use. Always thinking though, I figure why not get something I can use on a job site if need be. Nothing in the works this season, but last year we did a bluestone patio in early December and it would have been nice to have.

Anyway, I was wondering what any of you use for heat on job sites in late fall/early winter. I'm quite certain it will be a forced air system, probably in the 50 - 80k range. Not sure if kerosene or propane would be better. Any thoughts, or am I just being a wuss?

amscapes03
11-12-2008, 12:24 AM
I use mine every winter. I just wish i bought bigger. I have a "Reddy Heater" 115k. Should have bought the 165k or the 200k. Up close it pushes a lot of (glove melting) hot air out, but get a few feet away with the cold wind blowing and the heat factor is lost. The one i have runs on kerosene or #1 Diesel.

tthomass
11-12-2008, 01:18 AM
I just picked up a heater from Lowe's today..........125k BTU for $292.

Rental was running $40 day + fuel so it'll pay for itself quick. One of those things I've not used a lot but now that I have it I will. Current job is masonry front walk that doesn't see direct sun all day........and there's no trees either, cold. Ran the heater today, worked more comfortably and helps the mortar set faster.

tthomass
11-12-2008, 01:19 AM
BTW, 175k BTU was another $100.

JimmyStew
11-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Has anyone used a propane version?

landscapemike2
11-14-2008, 10:34 PM
hey i us a propane heater and a 100# tank it works great it in a 100 btu from lowes it heats a 24 30 shop or with a tarp to block wind it will heat up a good size area out doors if you have anchor brand retaing walls in your area or rock wood you can put a 2 x 4 in it to hold you tarp

amscapes03
11-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey Jimmy.......did you buy a heater yet? It was pretty darn cold here this morning. 21 degrees and windy. Almost dragged mine out, but i was jumping back and forth between two job sites.

JimmyStew
11-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Yep, bought a 115k kerosene heater. Unfortunately, I'm working on a small retaining wall along a homeowners driveway with no room to set up a "heat station". I guess I'll just have to tuff it out till snow. It was some cold here the past couple of days. High temp hit 26 today!

btammo
11-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Yep, bought a 115k kerosene heater. Unfortunately, I'm working on a small retaining wall along a homeowners driveway with no room to set up a "heat station". I guess I'll just have to tuff it out till snow. It was some cold here the past couple of days. High temp hit 26 today!

you must be close to me! 13 the other night and this morning a solid 14 degrees. High of today supposed to be 25 and ground has been frozen for a few days. Now we need more snow and fire up the snowmobiles. I am ready!