PDA

View Full Version : Lay out Help

coxlandscaping
11-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I need some help on this lay out Iím using Vista Lights. I will use the 2216 for my up lights and thinking of using the 7206 Path lights. I need advice should I use a different beam spread to cover more of the house. Should I use a higher wattage bulb? because of the darker brick. I would like to get some light into the alcove were the front door is

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
As a good friend, mentor, and the father of this industry always said:

You have to start with "WHY LIGHT?"

Start there... ask yourself "Why Light?" The process of answering that simple question will lead you on a path of lighting design discovery that is beyond what you will receive from a bunch of guys on a forum telling you what to do.

Enjoy.

Dreams To Designs
11-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Jim, so eloquently put. Now if only half the lighting designers followed that creedo, landscape lighting would be so much more of a compliment to the landscape, rather than a distraction.

Cox, what Jim has said is right on. What will the lighting be for? Will it be to show off a mcmansion, highlight the plantings, or hopefully compliment the landscape design. I like to go with lighting for safety, security and followed by aesthetics.

Not sure if it's the shadows or image itself,but that brick looks to be a deep red, almost burgundy, and that can make for some great lighting effects. Have yo or will you be landscaping this property?

Kirk

TXNSLighting
11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I need some help on this lay out Iím using Vista Lights. I will use the 2216 for my up lights and thinking of using the 7206 Path lights. I need advice should I use a different beam spread to cover more of the house. Should I use a higher wattage bulb? because of the darker brick. I would like to get some light into the alcove were the front door is

That is one of the worst looking landscapes ive ever seen...

S&MLL
11-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Hahaha

way to not beat around the bush

TXNSLighting
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I know i have a problem...Ha!

JoeyD
11-11-2008, 10:44 AM
I think this is a pretty cookie cutter job here. Not much to work with in terms of landscaping so your focus will be and in all cases should be the home. Saftey and security is always part of the ball game, it comes with lighting no matter what so I would focus on the architectural features that you can bring out and make pop.

I see they have some creative stone blocks on the hard corners of the home so its a no brainer that you should uplight all of those corners, grazing the blocks and creating some nice texturing.

The peaks of the home are also something you should incorporate. You could just shine a light up to hit them but to go the extra step and get up there and downlight out of them would be the best look IMO. Remember as you uplight the walls and corners that the light is really going to pop on that white fascia so that will give you some sort of verticle element, but I do believe a light comeing out of the peaks would look great.

You will need some sort of bridge lighting inbetween the spots so a small flood light of sorts should work. I think I would be running frosted lenses on every light I use here. 20w should be all you need with 35 being your max. Paths I would go 10w.

You could also consider lighting the roof line with some small flood lighting, I would use our Steller here. Not sure what Vista has in the line that would be comprable.

When establishing a lighting potrait/lighting plan you must designate your focal points. In this case with no landscape focal points the only one I see would be the front door. So no matter what your goal here should be to lead people to the front door. The picture does not allow for me to give you to many suggestions on how or what to use to light but just know you need to really get that front entry lit. I hate the idea of wraping path lights all the way down that walkway but I dont think you have much of a choice so whatever light you choose make sure it is going to hold up and try to get your beam patterns to intersect as to not create hot spots or concentric circles on the ground. Move them off the path a ways and try to use them to highlight what little ground cover you may have.

Other than that I would plan for growth. That landscape will mature and I am sure they will add to it at some point in which case you may want to add lights.

Hope this helps a little.