PDA

View Full Version : Complementing Under Eaves Can Lighting

NightLightingFX
11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
It seems to me crappy can lighting is always present on homes I do outdoor lighting for. They are ussually not placed in the right location, but my biggest complaint is the light. Either you get an incandenscent lamp tha creates a yellow glow that lingers right under the eaves. Or a 35 watt halogen 120 lamp that is too bright and I can't put any lens on it. Do you guys know what I am talking about and do you have any solutions?

One solution I came up with that worked out alright was I used a yellow lens. My MR16 light matched pretty close to the crappy can light. When I have time I will try to get a picture of this project. I have another project where home is a yellow stucco color. I my try the yellow lens again. let me know if any of you have tried this, or what you think about my idea.
~Ned

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Ned, most of the soffit mounted pot lights that I come across here are either MR16 or GU10 based units. I re-lamp them and integrate their control into the landscape lighting using a UPB control system. This gives the outdoor lighting a cohesive appearance.

When I come across a soffit fixture that is in the wrong location, I have no issues with installing a burnt out lamp into the socket in order to "make it go away". As for any MED Base, 120V pot lights, I relamp them with PAR20 35W Halogen lamps and integrate into the outdoor lighting system as above.

Don't worry about not using existing soffit mounted recessed fixtures. If they are in the wrong place, or just plain ugly then disable them and carry on.

Have a great day.

NightLightingFX
11-12-2008, 10:40 AM
James,
don't you find that the par20 35w halogen lamps to be too bright?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Generally no, they are certainly more attractive then the 50W lamps in the same application. By installing UPB controls into the system, you gain dimming control over the existing 120V fixtures, allowing you to closely mimick the intensity and colour of the LV landscape lighting.

Regards.

NightLightingFX
11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Good idea regarding dimming. Putting them on dimming controls should solve the problem. However, when you dim lights doesn't the color of the light become more warmer - probably not very noticable.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-14-2008, 06:04 AM
It's a matter of balance. You just have to play with it and find the right lamp for the application, dimmed to the right intensity, colour, etc to match what you are doing with the rest of the system.

Eden Lights
11-14-2008, 09:50 AM
The Lightolier LVR2000 can with a 2006 trim is a good option. This series has internal and remote transformer options. You can search for this topic in the past also. Goodluck, and let us know what you do?

NightLightingFX
11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Eddie,
Yes, I have read your threads and seen your work re: the Lightolier. One of these days I will get involved early enough on a project to recomend those fixtures for a newly built custom home. My biggest problem right now is getting a project and inheriting crappy under eaves can lighting. Getting dimmers for those crappy can lighting seems like a good solution. Thanks for the input.

Eden Lights
11-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Dimmers are a good solution to get some cohesiveness of illumination from various sources. The LVR, the R stands for remodeler, the pic is a retro job.

NightLightingFX
11-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Ok,
So it sounds like retro-ing, or dimmers are the way to fix crappy can lighting. Thanks

Lite4
11-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi Ned,
I just did a job a few months ago that had this same type of situation. I installed new lighting on the dormers but the porch around the house was using very yellow par 30 lamps in a 6" housing. I knew the color wouldn't match so I ordered new adjustable trims with a retrofit kit to change the pars to MRs with a GU10 base. Worked slick and the color matched great.