PDA

View Full Version : So overall how has your year been?

Junior M
11-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, things have pretty much shut down here and its not even that cold, the economy shut everybody down early for the winter, :wall, and I know everything is to a crawl backhome because I talked to my cousin and he said they had a high of thirty two days ago, and they had started hunting alot, which means they arent doing much else...

so I figured I would ask how this year has been for you, and if it turned out like you expected. and what kind of troubles did you face and what not...

mrsops
11-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, things have pretty much shut down here and its not even that cold, the economy shut everybody down early for the winter, :wall, and I know everything is to a crawl backhome because I talked to my cousin and he said they had a high of thirty two days ago, and they had started hunting alot, which means they arent doing much else...

so I figured I would ask how this year has been for you, and if it turned out like you expected. and what kind of troubles did you face and what not...

We thought this year would be real slow but it ended being real busy up until about 2 weeks ago we ran slow but monday im starting a nice 4,000 sq ft pavers job. Then all i have to say is let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobcat_ron
11-12-2008, 06:42 PM
It's been normal, well except for the time these 3 hot German girls all wanted a piece of my manly body, but I had to turn them away because I was already getting busy with 2 French girls. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Love/happy-003.gif
But other than that, it's dead now, last year we were still busy. Some of the bigger companies in my area are slowing down, but that's just to give them an opportunity to fire the bozo's they having working for them, so it's all contrary.

CAT powered
11-12-2008, 07:09 PM
So far this has been a pretty good year for me. I hired on my first full time employee this August. Well my first full timer since I started this new business two or three years ago.

Unfortunately he's wrecked 2 trucks now. I had a matching pair of mid 90s F350s with boxes on them that were clearly labeled as 10' 6" in height. One smashed into a bridge and was totaled. The other one got run off the road and hit God only knows what, but it's smashed up beyond repair. I now have a matching pair of totaled mid 90s F350s. Fortunately his truck is fixed now and he is driving it instead of my trucks now.

I gained and lost a large bulldozing contract. I gained a contract for mowing roadsides in a local town as well as a contract for screened topsoil in my town.

As far as equipment that I bought this year it's:

JD 490E
Dresser TD25G
Dresser TD25G
Dresser TD7H
1992 Peterbilt 357 triaxle rolloff
got back a 1987 Mack DM triaxle dumptruck that I bought new in 87 and sold in 91
Ford 6610 tractor with over the rail mower
That pair of mid 90s F350s
McCloskey 512R screen
Several walking floor trailers
Flat deck trailer to go behind my truck tractor

I'm looking at buying a Vermeer tub grinder at a local Repo yard for $65,000. I've got one of my TD25s at an auction to help offset the cost of the grinder. I figure it ought to bring about $25,000 or so.

I also finally finished completely splitting with my ex-business partner. That has been the best thing that happened to me all year.

I was in Florida last week with my family visiting my in-laws and me and my son made our obligatory trip to the Ford dealership since he just turned 16. When we were there I made a commitment on an 08 F150 for *drumroll* $12,500! I'll use it for light towing and as a general runabout. It should be able to handle a tow-behind air compressor pretty well.

Junior M
11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
And you didnt stop on way down and see me?!? what the crap! :laugh:

yeah, my year wasnt what I expected, there was alot of lieing, arguing, and bulls#it from the contractor, and then him ripping us off because dad refuses to write anything down!!!, and then of course his crappy work and the homeowners thinking it was us... But I have alot in store for next year, I am currently in contact with a with a builder who is building houses and actually selling them, how I have no clue but they are... Also we have started looking at a Deere 35d, yeah CAT powered I am finally letting it out of the bag!, It was bought in 2007 in august and has around 600 hours on it, and its really clean! It has done mostly underground and a guy that used to work with my dad is selling it so we'll see what happens..

Also we are goin to start doing some lawn maintenance, Its not my favorite thing but hey it's work and I am goin to run it so there wont be all the freaking lagging and BS from dad, so something will get done and I can take this business some where...

Oh and CAT already knows about this but I am having some troubles with working with dad, imgine that! and everything is turning out just like you guys said it would, I never thought it would actually turn in to the head ache it is since me and dad get along so well but its happening....

CAT powered
11-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Who would've thought that we might have been right?

If you hear me say something about family BS trust me on it. I'm speaking from experience. I explained all the nonsense that went on to you, Junior.

Junior M
11-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah, you have, but I never thought it would actually happen, I knew there was always the chance. I just thought because me and my dad got along so well together everything would go fine...

kreft
11-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Our year has been Like a rollarcoaster!

At the beggining we had alot of work all the way til september.
Than we found out that the place we work at is gonna sell. So they gave us alot of work to get a better price for the place. We thought when they sell the buyers will pick someone else for the contracts. But the continued our contract! So know they gave us a bunch of work to get the place looking like they want! There gonna buy a street sweeper and want us to run it to! So this year is ending on a positive note!

And we also made some purchases this year to!

-Tyler

Construct'O
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
The whole year has been a fight from day one to get anything done.There has been over abundent work to do,but the weather(no control over) has really made for a long year and is still fighting back.

With cold weather and snow right around the corner and no chance of getting half the work i have to do, done this year, because of the weather.

Started this time last fall with the ice storm that stopped everything in its tracks,floods this spring,some major repairs of equipment this summer and down time that i would like to have back now!

Just today i had two guys call wanting more work done,i more or less told them it probably won't happen.They said put them on the list if not this year next spring.It has been one of the crazys years in the thirty three years i have been in busniess to get anything done.

My expectation of what was going to get done this year has been dashed mainly by the weather.Was hoping to make up lost ground,but now with the fall rains causing the same problems as last fall and spring(floods) it is wearing me out*trucewhiteflag*.

Like they say here today and gone tomorrow!

On the bright side my young helpers that i have spent almost 2 years training are really doing a great job.They have learned to do it right the first time,not the second.

Hired another dozer operator to help during the rush here if thing does turn around before winter hits.Went got the old dozer i sold! back to use.

Trying to figure out how to run another trenching crew ,with the least expense,and cover as many jobs as i can before the freeze hits.

Overall it will be above average year and income.So i'm thankful !!!! for that and my health,which is still pretty good,so you ask what else could you want :confused:SUNSHINE !!!!!!!!!:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
11-12-2008, 09:24 PM
I had a string of troublesome clients, one right after the other. The jobs were good, but the clients turned a beautiful thing into a nightmare.......3 times in a row. Caused me to harden up my business practices and get everything, and I mean everything, in writing even if it meant shutting down the job.....which it did. Worked with some pond-scum subcontractors that turned another job into a nightmare. Seemed to go that way the whole season, except a bright spot here and there where we took the job from start to finish ourselves. Expenses were higher than expected, gross receipts were about where I expected.......still figuring out the bottom line, but my gut tells me it was not that good. We are shut down now, greased-polished-winterized..........and all the big boys are about that way too with no one wanting to start anything. Alot of work got left sitting on the fence. Alot of bottom feeders are being weeded out and I expect they won't be here next year.......some guys started dropping their mini-ex hourly to $45-50 an hour with no mob charge.......I prefer to mow my lawn and stay home for that rate. Will see what spring brings, have enough to make it till then....Starting work now on updating advertising, creating a plan for that and making new contacts. Also looking to pick up a dump truck with tag.......lots of repo's out there. Looked at one today for $20k, a 97 Kenworth t800, 435E Cat, 18 front, 46 rears, 433 rear end, double framed and chalmers suspension w/511,000 miles. Passed on that and will wait.....

meets1
11-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I am not much into excavtion work but things have really turned out good for us this year. Busiest year thus far and still going until the weather shuts us done. Poured cement and started on a retaining wall project today, finished a big paver job hopefully more cement flat work next week. Cool wet here but everything is under blankets so i don't have to worry about the freeze thaw cycle everyday. Next week I'll have to break out for a day and get all snow equipment ready. Hippy=((

minimax
11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
This has been my best year so far.

minimax

Dirtman2007
11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
It's been real busy this year. I probably had no more than 10 working days that I could not do anything because of the weather. I'm finishing up a good size job right now and getting ready to start a big pond dredging job next week.

stuvecorp
11-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I ended up doing better than I thought, better than last year. Started off real slow and stayed busy until about a month ago and just couldn't shake anything. Got to do the biggest wall/paver project I've done, it just came out of the blue (moral of the story - you never know when you go out to an estimate). No major breakdowns, disappointed on the lack of work for the Kobelco and thinking I should have got a 50 size instead. I am still trying to retool my truck fleet, so that is really frustrating(my shinny red Pete is still in town and is cheaper now). Am sitting real good for equipment, would like a new 440S3 for next year but we'll see.

Scag48
11-13-2008, 02:10 AM
My dad had a record year this year and next year is completely booked already.

As far as my year, well, I'm an operator for hire now. This was a strange year for me, I bounced around a lot. Spent 2 months away from home at training, then I spent another 2 months working for my dad still away from home, worked 6 weeks back in my neighborhood, got laid off, now I'm floating around waiting for the snow to fall. Once that hits, which should be a couple weeks from now, I'll be busy until mid-April. Company I was working for moving dirt says they're looking at a year almost identical to this last season in regards to work flow, which would be awesome. We do lots of large commercial, that money was thrown down long ago on these projects, so next year should be okay, but not spectacular by any means. Hopefully by 2010 we'll start picking up the pieces and get the ball rolling in the right direction again.

Chilehead
11-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Best year I have had yet! I'm booked out for the winter with hardscape projects. Once they are done, I'll have a short 4 weeks of R&R before maintenance resumes.

Gravel Rat
11-13-2008, 04:44 AM
It went from unlimited work to 2008 the worst on record for the excavation contractors.

Better hope 2009 is better or none of the excavation contractors will be in business.