PDA

View Full Version : NJ Members Call to Action

steveparrott
11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
NJ Forum members,

Please read this entire message - at the end is a simple but important request.

As you may know, a coalition of manufacturers, distributors, contractors and landscape associations are trying to amend the NJ Electrical Laws. The NJ Licensing Board of Electrical Contractors are targeting landscape lighting installers, issuing letters of warning, forcing compliance and imposing fines.

The 45 year-old law requires an electrician to perform any electrical work over 9 volts. This law was never enforced for low voltage lighting until two years ago. Hundreds of landscape lighting companies are now facing the choice of sub-contracting installations to electricians or giving up the work entirely.

The response favored by the majority of contractors and other stakeholders is to seek a simple exemption from the licensing law. We are in our second year of this effort and are making slow but steady progress.

As Chairman of the New Jersey Green Industry Landscape Lighting Task Force, I'm asking each of you to do a very simple (but important) thing:

Contact your lighting distributor and your manufacturers. Ask them if they are financially supporting this legislative work. To this date, only CAST Lighting and Aquarius Supply have made significant contributions.

The bottom line is that if we don't raise significant funds in the next two weeks, we will be forced to abandon this effort. The only way we can continue is if the major manufacturers and distributors step up to the plate.

You have every right to expect that your distributor and manufacturers will invest in the success of your industry. Let them know that you expect them to do this.

Send me a personal message if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve Parrott
NJGIC Landscape Lighting Task Force

JoeyD
11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Steve I will see where we are at with this. Last I heard was that both Nate and Kyle were wanting to support here.

JoeyD
11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
apparently both Nate and Kyle were on Monday's conference call regarding this Steve........

steveparrott
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
apparently both Nate and Kyle were on Monday's conference call regarding this Steve........

Yes, they were. It was quite a historic meeting. This was the first time that nearly all the manufacturers met together to discuss supporting the industry.

Represented were Unique, Kichler, Vista, Nightscaping, Hadco, Alliance and CAST.

JoeyD
11-13-2008, 01:34 PM
WOW! Thats great! Definitley a first!!

Eden Lights
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM
I have been watching this and I would like an update Steve? We all know that this type of enforcement is slowly going to sweep across the country and all contractors should be preparing themselves for it. This has to be a huge concern for every manufacturer since it will take out about 9 out every 10 client that buys from them.

Steve, tell us who has contributed to the effort $$$$$

Eden Lights
12-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I take it that no companies have put up any money for this cause, its sad because long term this type of movement is going to wipe out a ton of contractors from being legal and it is also going to dictate what we can and can't do from a install and design prospective. I won’t miss the competition, but I am going to hate the design constraints and the increase cost of doing business the new way.

mrusk
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
People who don't live in Nj doesn't understand. You can't fight the liberals here.