PDA

View Full Version : Force blower glitches...

Mowbizz
11-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I really like my Billy Goat 9hp Honda Force blower...but I have had a few minor glitches with it...
1. The stupid gas screen in the gas tank keeps falling into the gas tank. I think it is supposed to act as a gasket for the cap because a slight amount of fuel trickles out from the cap area...

2. The "bolt" or whatever it is that goes through the "hand tightener" to set the angle of the blower chute just spins freely...it should be anchored there so you can actually tighten the knob...

3. Every time I use the deflector to direct the wind towards the front, when I remove it to go back to sideways blowing, the spring has become detached.

All minor stuff as the unit performs it's blowing function great notwithstanding these little glitches...but, it's a bit disturbing that all these things have happened to a brand new unit with but a couple of hours on it...

Anyone else having these issues with the Force Blowers?

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
11-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Mowbizz,

First of all thank you for your business. I appreciate your feedback. I'll try to answer your issues one at a time. Let me know if you have additional questions.

1. I'm not in love with the Honda gas pre-filter either. Your the first I've heard that had it fall in though. You may have gotten a filter that is defective. Have you dealer review and replace if defective. The thing I dislike about it (and others) is you can't see what the fuel level is unless it's high enough to see the fuel in the filter.

2. Normally the bolt that's welded to the washer binds sufficiently that you can hand tighten it. The weld is on the inside so the 7/16 bolt head is exposed so you can use a 7/16 wrench to tighten it enough to get it started so that it won't spin freely. You shouldn't have to use the wrench after that. The discharge part is blow-molded. That manufacturing process does not lend itself to have the washer attached, especially in a position that is that exposed to impact. However, I'll review a washer with traction groves in it.

3. Is the spring you report the one on the Ain-n-Shoot? I haven't heard of that one coming off when removing the forward discharge. Are you engaging the nut in question #2 for this? We are in the process of reviewing a new design that will be much easier to put on, take off, and is retrofit-able. In the meantime I'd recommend crimping the opening of the spring just a little bit to secure it better to the Aim-N-Shoot diverter pivot.

Again please let me know if you have additional questions or problems.

Mowbizz
11-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Mowbizz,

First of all thank you for your business. I appreciate your feedback. I'll try to answer your issues one at a time. Let me know if you have additional questions.

1. I'm not in love with the Honda gas pre-filter either. Your the first I've heard that had it fall in though. You may have gotten a filter that is defective. Have you dealer review and replace if defective. The thing I dislike about it (and others) is you can't see what the fuel level is unless it's high enough to see the fuel in the filter.

A. First of all thank you for addressing my small issues! I was planning on stopping by the dealer with the blower as soon as I get a break from having to use it!:drinkup: Does this filter act as a gasket to seal the tank? I have a leaf loader that has a Briggs engine and the same type of pre-filter...wondering if these things are really necessary except for the "gasket" function.?? On a side note, before I even bought the blower I wanted the salesman to let me demo it and when he took off the gas cap to see if it had been prepped, the pre-filter was inside the tank then too...wonder if some nosey customer poking around had "pushed" the filter in and possibly caused it to become mis-shapened..??? (I will be requesting a new one)

2. Normally the bolt that's welded to the washer binds sufficiently that you can hand tighten it. The weld is on the inside so the 7/16 bolt head is exposed so you can use a 7/16 wrench to tighten it enough to get it started so that it won't spin freely. You shouldn't have to use the wrench after that. The discharge part is blow-molded. That manufacturing process does not lend itself to have the washer attached, especially in a position that is that exposed to impact. However, I'll review a washer with traction groves in it.

B. The whole washer and bolt spins with the handle. I thought there was a round head (like a carriage bolt) on the bolt (inside the chute mouth) I'll have to look closer but I'm almost sure there's no 7/16 bolt head there...hmmm...got me wondering now. There also sems to be some kind of "coating" over the washer and bolt head...

3. Is the spring you report the one on the Ain-n-Shoot? I haven't heard of that one coming off when removing the forward discharge. Are you engaging the nut in question #2 for this? We are in the process of reviewing a new design that will be much easier to put on, take off, and is retrofit-able. In the meantime I'd recommend crimping the opening of the spring just a little bit to secure it better to the Aim-N-Shoot diverter pivot.

C. Yes the spring that works the aim-n-shoot...seems like a kind of lightweight spring but I understand that in order to have the right feel up at the lever you need to have the correct spring so your hand does not tire too quickly while operating the aim/shoot. I think crimping the loop on the spring should work ok...

Again please let me know if you have additional questions or problems.

Again, thanks for addressing my issues...good support!

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Mowbizz,

A. I'm not sure if the pre filter is used as a gasket. My 2 cents says no. I've seen them get pushed in if the refill gas tank nozzle pushes it in. This sometimes happens if you're refilling with a full 5 gallon tank.

B. The is a lubricating oil that is sprayed on the front and back pivot joint of the Aim-n-Shoot. This could be what you're talking about. As for the 7/16 I stand corrected. That is on the back pivot, not the front. The front is a carriage bolt that's been welded. I was just messing with one on the line and it tighten down beautifully. I'f you like I'll send you a new one that I've checked out personally. PM me your address if interested.

C. Our initial springs were actually thinner. It was VERY easy on the hand but our aim and shoot was too heavy for it and would pull it down. I'll note your input on it. To date our warranties and durability tests indicate it it's holding up well.

Mowbizz
11-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Mowbizz,

A. I'm not sure if the pre filter is used as a gasket. My 2 cents says no. I've seen them get pushed in if the refill gas tank nozzle pushes it in. This sometimes happens if you're refilling with a full 5 gallon tank.

B. The is a lubricating oil that is sprayed on the front and back pivot joint of the Aim-n-Shoot. This could be what you're talking about. As for the 7/16 I stand corrected. That is on the back pivot, not the front. The front is a carriage bolt that's been welded. I was just messing with one on the line and it tighten down beautifully. I'f you like I'll send you a new one that I've checked out personally. PM me your address if interested.

C. Our initial springs were actually thinner. It was VERY easy on the hand but our aim and shoot was too heavy for it and would pull it down. I'll note your input on it. To date our warranties and durability tests indicate it it's holding up well.

1. I will stop by my dealer and ask for a new one anyway...it's still inside the tank and I've been too busy to try and fish it out.

2. OK I thought it looked like a carriage bolt, so we're on the same page now. I'll pm you with my address.

3. I think I've figured out the spring detachment problem...with the front directional chute installed the whole unit (aim-n-shoot) is a lot heavier, so when moving it up and down with the hand control it literally overpowers the spring loop and pulls through. I should be using the hand lock to point the front diverter in a desired direction for the conditions. That's where I get bit in the a$$...I can't use the hand lock (yet)

On a side note, I moved a huge pile of wet leaves the with the Billy Goat today...what a joy to see those leaves just roll over as I go back and forth...I can just imagine what the 13 hp unit would do!

Thanks for your continued interest and support Mr. Force!

Mowbizz
12-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Drew, I took some time the other day to look closely at what my problem with the tightening knob on my blower. I took off the outside nut with some difficulty as the whole assembly wanted to spin when I put my ratchet on the nut. Finally got it off and found the threads on the bolt buggered up a little...so much so that the knob was frozen in place so to speak on the buggered up area. I put that aside and installed the one you sent me and I'm back in business! I guess I could run the original bolt through a die and clean up the threads and have a spare unit??!! That and closing the loop on the end of the spring and she's just like new!
I want to thank you again for your attention to my small issues. In my opinion, you as a manufacturer's representative, have gone above and beyond in making sure your product is backed up not by mere words but by actions as well!
I will look at Billy Goat products with confidence when considering future purchases. Thank you!
Ron B