PDA

View Full Version : Annual Ryegrass

First-Alarm Lawn Service
11-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I maintain a mansion that is currently in the market and need to keep the lawn looking great this winter. I know I have a late start, but do you think that seeding with an annual ryegrass such as big daddy or DH3 will do me well? The current lawn is eastablished with bermuda and tall fescue and has been fertilized with lesco products. Thanks for your input.

ICT Bill
11-14-2008, 09:59 PM
You are trying to help the property by making it look stunning and green when you drive up and walk the property obviously

I would say yes to rye

You could actually kick it up a notch and explain how the rye grass not only looks good but puts down roots that are up to 3 feet long, it breaks up clay soils and adds organic matter to sandy soils

Long term it is a great suggestion

jd75760
11-16-2008, 09:08 AM
First- Alarm, I do a core plug aeration and over seed with Scott's Annual Rye, and apply starter fertilizer at the same time and have had good luck so far here in Tennessee. If you would like to see the results I get go to top of page and type jd75760 and look under "stripes in January" thread. I mow about twice a week all winter. Hope this helps.

NC Greenscaper
11-18-2008, 04:56 PM
It's not to late. Just seed at a rate of at least 6lbs/K. Don't worry about the fertilizer unless you have a nitrogen deficiency. Annual rye will grow in the cracks of cement. You won't need to aerate unless you want to do for other reasons.

viperbluelx
11-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I've core aerated, fertilized, and overseeded my bermuda twice since September and it's still only coming up in patches and covering maybe 50% of my lawn. Any suggestions?

Armadillolawncare
11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
One suggestion I would have is use the more expensive perennial rye grass. In my experience you get a greener better quality grass.

freshcutter
11-18-2008, 11:02 PM
So...of course I'm still new to all of this. I love the idea of overseeding with rye but here's my question. First-Alarm said annual rye and Armadillo said perennial, why the difference and what are the pros and cons?

frumdig
11-19-2008, 07:20 AM
perennial rye has a deeper darker green than the annual... which is typically more of a chartruse color... plus perennial seems to have a broader leaf, whereas the annual is thinner... i just recently seeded my lawn... seeded with fescue first, and about 2 weeks later hit it with some perennial rye...

-Evan

NC Greenscaper
11-19-2008, 07:34 AM
That looks good. Cost is one of the differences. Perrenniel is more expensive.

KACYDS
11-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Perennial might cost more, but is cost less to maintain. Its slower growing that annual. I know if we plant annual down here (south), we would have to mow it every 3-4 days. If you don't, the rye would get out of hand, and if you try to mow it, normally the grass would just lay down, and not be cut.

If you go with the perennial, you don't have to cut but once every 2-3 weeks. Also during the spring green up of your normal turf (which is St Augustine and Centipede for us), If you planted the annual, the rye will shade out the normal turf and kill it. Normally the perennial will not do that.

Hopefully this will help.

freshcutter
11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. That helps quite a bit. I think if I were to do one, I'd go with the perennial. Those are good looking pictures btw.

weasel
11-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I agree with applying rye for green in winter, one thing that I dofor my Bermuda grass clients is apply Lesco turf paint. It looks great and last a long time. The cost vary a lot based on height and thickness of Bermuda. We cut the final length to 2.5 inches bag it and then apply. If your customer wants the WOW effect this should do it

okie2
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I coach softball and maintain our three fields which have 300ft fences. I just put out annual rye on the main field to have it looking good by the season in a few weeks. But I am not sure if it was enough. I put down 300 lbs. fertilized it and watered with our watering system. What do you guys think?

weasel
02-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Grass infield or dirt? Outfield only? What's the size difference from baseball size field? If it's basically the same size as a little league you should be ok. It never hurts to add a little extra.