PDA

View Full Version : First concrete demo

YellowDogSVC
11-14-2008, 10:36 PM
My first concrete slab demos. 2 slabs about 4-6 inches thick average. First one was 100'x20' with curb and a number of poles concreted into slab and ground and cut off at slab. The other was about 40' x 50' Pics are of first slab.

Never did it before so I punched holes with a 500lb hoe ram after I made my little grid then broke it up with my industrial grapple. Was out there 2.5 days including loading the tandem 10 times. Had a lot of trees to cut, stack, and grind stumps so it wasn't all concrete breaking but I think it turned out pretty clean and ready for builder to figure out where to put new slab.

I usually don't do this type of work but I do all these folks trees so I didn't another contractor coming out and ramming trees. I was amazed at how strong my little bobcat s330 was when handling the concrete with my 74" CI tooth bucket and the 66" industrial grapple. It has some power and felt much more stable than my 272c and s300 did. That little extra weight makes a difference. I also found out that sharp teeth on a bucket will cut rebar!

Gravel Rat
11-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Nice clean job not a little chunk of concrete in sight :drinkup:

meets1
11-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Was there alot of bar in the old crete? Clean work though.

bobcat_ron
11-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm curious...why did you do a "grid" break out? Why not just go balls out and break everything?

GradeMan
11-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Nice work, Could you have done it any faster?

Gravel Rat
11-15-2008, 12:28 AM
That job is a little different from cutting brush and trees :laugh:

YellowDogSVC
11-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Nice work, Could you have done it any faster?

Yes if I had run back to back tandems but I use the same guy who needed the fill and I had all the tree work, stump grinding, and a horse arena to prep.

YellowDogSVC
11-15-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm curious...why did you do a "grid" break out? Why not just go balls out and break everything?

I figured with a grid I would punch holes like a perforated sheet of paper up and down and side to side. It broke out just like I thought it would. the hammer wasn't very strong, though but I wanted a clean job and my fill guy wanted 2x2' pieces. He's a friend so I was helping him out. Only a few slabs came out bigger than I wanted and I'm a little obsessive/compulsive so no, no rocks or chunks left over. You should see my tree work when grinding. I grind that stuff down to dust if I have the time. :laugh:

stuvecorp
11-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Looks good YellowDog.

mrsops
11-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Yellow i told you that you would love that s330 its like driving a mercedes :laugh: where are the pictures of that baby?

RockSet N' Grade
11-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Ok YellowDog.......for next time......When breaking out concrete, forget the concept of punching holes all the way through the concrete. That is not productive. The concept will be to hit the concrete in a spot no more than 30 continous seconds or until you just see a fracture mark. Then move to a new spot quick. Pound that for a bit for a little fracture and then move on. The key for production is to just fracture the material, weather visable or not and then the removal is a piece of cake.....all the pieces just come apart even if you can't see the fractures, they are there, and pop apart easy. I know you wanted square 2x2 pieces, but you can get that pretty good just with the fracture method. It should cut your time down by at least 1/2 to 2/3 with the same end result. By the way, excellent clean up and that is what the owners see.......that is the difference between a good job and bad job.......call backs or no call backs.......

YellowDogSVC
11-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Yellow i told you that you would love that s330 its like driving a mercedes :laugh: where are the pictures of that baby?

I posted them in another thread. It looks like an s300 because I swapped out the big tires for the 12.5 - 16 hulks

YellowDogSVC
11-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Ok YellowDog.......for next time......When breaking out concrete, forget the concept of punching holes all the way through the concrete. That is not productive. The concept will be to hit the concrete in a spot no more than 30 continous seconds or until you just see a fracture mark. Then move to a new spot quick. Pound that for a bit for a little fracture and then move on. The key for production is to just fracture the material, weather visable or not and then the removal is a piece of cake.....all the pieces just come apart even if you can't see the fractures, they are there, and pop apart easy. I know you wanted square 2x2 pieces, but you can get that pretty good just with the fracture method. It should cut your time down by at least 1/2 to 2/3 with the same end result. By the way, excellent clean up and that is what the owners see.......that is the difference between a good job and bad job.......call backs or no call backs.......

Wouldn't a hammer with a flat point make more sense for just fracturing? I was thinking that as I was working. Some of the pieces that didn't break right the first time cracked easily when I hammered them after I pulled them up. The power of my little Bobcat helped me pick up some very large pieces of slab and they broke along my perforations for the most part leaving a lot of uniform pieces. The wire broke apart pretty good but I had to hire a helper and clippers because my trucker friend didn't want a lot of pieces wired together for his project.
I didn't run across a lot of rebar. Mostly wire mesh. What do you do when there is a lot of rebar? I looked at renting a K12 style cutoff saw and I have some very large chain/bolt cutters. I couldn't find anyone that rented hydraulic or electric powered rebar cutter, however. I have a torch but didn't want to go through moving that over there.

AWJ Services
11-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Just get you a Gas powered demo saw.

If you do not have access to a hammer you can score the concrete with saw and just lift and break it on the lines.
Of course if the slab is to thick this will not work.

RockSet N' Grade
11-15-2008, 11:13 AM
A quickie saw works dandy.....alot better than a torch for that particular application. Bolt cutters are too slow. One of the tricks with a hammer is not having to go all the way through the material. Just crack it or fracture it, that is the concept. Even if you hit one spot and it doesn't seem to be fracturing......hit it, then let it go and move to another spot close by......it did it's job, you just don't see it happening. Putting holes all the way through, you loose alot of the impact force that should be sent into the concrete by adopting the fracturing frame of mind. Also, when you hit dirt, you could end up dry firing which on alot of breakers is a no-no and leads to early breaker failure and rebuild. I got a two hour lesson from Huskie's national sales rep who happens to live in Utah and came to my jobsite.........this guy sells breakers all over the world and knows more about breaking than I ever want to know.......he sells the small stuff and the big stuff to guys like Penhall/Penski for their bridge demo work....quite interesting......but the bottom line concept, is "fracture" the material.

RockSet N' Grade
11-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Another thing this guy taught me was the 30 second rule. Breakers create alot of heat and if you stay in one spot for more than that time, you cut the life of your moil or bit down by 50% minimum.

Gravel Rat
11-15-2008, 03:04 PM
A angle grinder with a zip disk cuts rebar and wire mesh quick and easy.

bobcatuser
11-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Wouldn't a hammer with a flat point make more sense for just fracturing? I was thinking that as I was working. Some of the pieces that didn't break right the first time cracked easily when I hammered them after I pulled them up. The power of my little Bobcat helped me pick up some very large pieces of slab and they broke along my perforations for the most part leaving a lot of uniform pieces. The wire broke apart pretty good but I had to hire a helper and clippers because my trucker friend didn't want a lot of pieces wired together for his project.
I didn't run across a lot of rebar. Mostly wire mesh. What do you do when there is a lot of rebar? I looked at renting a K12 style cutoff saw and I have some very large chain/bolt cutters. I couldn't find anyone that rented hydraulic or electric powered rebar cutter, however. I have a torch but didn't want to go through moving that over there.

I use a chisel point for splitting uniform pieces. After a bit of practice you can make pieces for a low budget split and stack retaining wall. The chisel makes removal faster with less rubble, just remember not to pry with the point.

If the concrete is thick, using a nail point will be faster. Zip disks on a grinder work good for cutting rebar, if you cut half way then bend the bar it will snap with little effort.

KrayzKajun
11-15-2008, 09:24 PM
looks good! nice work!!

YellowDogSVC
11-15-2008, 11:01 PM
A angle grinder with a zip disk cuts rebar and wire mesh quick and easy.

i've got an air powered grinder but the disks wear out too quick even with less pressure.

Gravel Rat
11-16-2008, 12:34 AM
A electric angle grinder works better I have a cheap 7 inch grinder with no guard on it. I have cut through 2 inch thick steel with the 1/8x7 inch zip disks.

Rebar has hard spots in it so its too hard to be cut with a sawzall and cutting it with bolt cutters is even tough. Cutting it with a torch is also tough because the rebar isn't clean so it spits back at you.

YellowDogSVC
11-16-2008, 11:53 AM
i've got an air powered grinder but the disks wear out too quick even with less pressure.

I should add that I also have an electric grinder. The disks are bigger and last longer but electricity on site isn't always easy. My generator is a welding machine so it's heavy to move and I don't have AC power on my truck. For a big enough job, if I do this again (and I liked it so I may do so), I will probably bring out my toolcat with generator in bed and a 4 n 1 bucket to assist.

RockSet N' Grade
11-16-2008, 12:17 PM
YellowDog........I would still consider the quickie saw. You can interchange blades to cut metal or concrete. They are powerful, reliable, time efficient and an all around awesome indespensible tool when dealing with concrete or asphalt removal. I don't know how I could live without mine.

ksss
11-16-2008, 12:30 PM
YellowDog........I would still consider the quickie saw. You can interchange blades to cut metal or concrete. They are powerful, reliable, time efficient and an all around awesome indespensible tool when dealing with concrete or asphalt removal. I don't know how I could live without mine.

Ditto, its nice being able to cut concrete as you need to and still just change blades and cut rebar or asphalt. As an aside, I had some new help this Summer and the lad seems did not know the difference between a two stroke and four stroke. Locked up my Husky demo saw, so I got to buy a new one. $1200 dollars down the drain, that was shortly after he ran over my cordless grease gun at $325.00 Its hard to find good help these days.:cry:

RockSet N' Grade
11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Ksss........I heard "JUNIOR" is packing his bag and moving to Idaho somewhere. Seems some excavator has hired him full time.........

Junior M
11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Ksss........I heard "JUNIOR" is packing his bag and moving to Idaho somewhere. Seems some excavator has hired him full time.........
Yep, I am flying out tomorrow! The only problem I see with the job is the darn Power crap equipment :wall, but its better than a mexican backhoe! I believe the guys name is something kaiser, not to sure, guess I'll find out when I get there!! :laugh:

I hope he lets me run his mack so I can run over his new grease gun.. Ah hell throw a couple grade stakes in there, if your goin to screw something up you got to do it good!! :laugh:

RockSet N' Grade
11-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Junior, I also heard you have to do a snap salute, click your heels and have uniform/equipment inspection.....sounds like a tough guy to work for if ya ask me......plus, they don't pay money in that part of the country - they barter with Potatoes........

ksss
11-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Junior, I also heard you have to do a snap salute, click your heels and have uniform/equipment inspection.....sounds like a tough guy to work for if ya ask me......plus, they don't pay money in that part of the country - they barter with Potatoes........

and don't think your jumping in my equipment as soon as you hit the ground. I have several manportable excavators that you will have to become accustomed to first. :laugh:

Junior M
11-16-2008, 07:21 PM
I dont even see how they grow the potatoes with rock as topsoil.. and if he is inspecting the equipment I am running its dam sure goin to fail just because its case.. and i can deal with the uniforms and all the other crap, just not sure if he will be able to understand me since I am from the south.. :laugh:

Junior M
11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
and don't think your jumping in my equipment as soon as you hit the ground. I have several manportable excavators that you will have to become accustomed to first. :laugh:
Thats fine, just to let you know I am extremely skilled on the lazer.. :laugh:

ksss
11-16-2008, 07:28 PM
just not sure if he will be able to understand me since I am from the south.. :laugh:

O' don't you worry Junior, I have a "from the South" decoder. I got that spending last Summer in Huntsville. The other plus is it is mostly a one way conversation. Just a couple words you need to be savvy on. Grab the shovel, why are you stopping, dig faster, we don't break for lunch, feel free to use the porta potty to get the sand out of your panties.:laugh:

Junior M
11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
O' don't you worry Junior, I have a "from the South" decoder. I got that spending last Summer in Huntsville. The other plus is it is mostly a one way conversation. Just a couple words you need to be savvy on. Grab the shovel, why are you stopping, dig faster, we don't break for lunch, feel free to use the porta potty to get the sand out of your panties.:laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: Just watch out for flying shovels! I am like Ron, I am not that fond of taking orders.. :laugh:

I am going to have to fight the we dont stop for lunch thing, we like to eat here, and I like to eat, and I cant funtion without food.. :laugh:

ksss
11-16-2008, 07:38 PM
:laugh: :laugh: Just watch out for flying shovels! I am like Ron, I am not that fond of taking orders.. :laugh:

I am going to have to fight the we dont stop for lunch thing, we like to eat here, and I like to eat, and I cant funtion without food.. :laugh:

Well I am flexible. I'll toss you an MRE. Don't know when you will have time to eat it, but your resourceful. Becareful with the flying shovels, your mom wont be here to protect you.:nono:

Junior M
11-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I am flexible. I'll toss you an MRE. Don't know when you will have time to eat it, but your resourceful. Becareful with the flying shovels, your mom wont be here to protect you.:nono:
I'll eat it when all the power crap equipment you have breaks and we have to wait for an in expierenced mechanic to come out and tell you that you should bring it in to the shop so he can take a look at it and then charge you for him coming out :laugh:

and I might reconsider the shovel part but who knows, I just need to have a good escape plan :laugh:

mrsops
11-16-2008, 07:49 PM
I'll eat it when all the power crap equipment you have breaks and we have to wait for an in expierenced mechanic to come out and tell you that you should bring it in to the shop so he can take a look at it and then charge you for him coming out :laugh:

and I might reconsider the shovel part but who knows, I just need to have a good escape plan :laugh:

Case equipment dont break down come on junior there very popular machines out there in.. I DA HOEEEEEE :laugh:

Junior M
11-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Case equipment dont break down come on junior there very popular machines out there in.. I DA HOEEEEEE :laugh:
Your right it never breaks down, it just never gets the chance to start because everytime you look at them something is falling off, :laugh: (I am running out of good making fun of case material)

ksss
11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Your right it never breaks down, it just never gets the chance to start because everytime you look at them something is falling off, :laugh: (I am running out of good making fun of case material)

I dare say you didn't have any good material to start with.:walking:

Junior M
11-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I dare say you didn't have any good material to start with.:walking:
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Unhappy/fingers-021.gif

Thanks Lazer!!