PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking my CDL test tomorrow

minimax
11-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm taking my CDL test tomorrow to get my class A CDL any last minute help or tips.I already took the written test. thanks

minimax

marthanmike1959
11-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm taking my CDL test tomorrow to get my class A CDL any last minute help or tips.I already took the written test. thanks

minimax

Concentrate on the pre-trip they don't miss a thing.In Tennessee i had two women give me mine in 1991 didn't know i thing about a truck so there they stood clip board in hand and made sure i called off every part i was looking at and what defect your looking for good luck

bobcat_ron
11-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Don't eat beans today my friend.

Hollowellreid
11-15-2008, 01:31 PM
The pre trip inspection is where you will have trouble. Comment on everything you see.

Are you getting the air brake endorsement?

Gravel Rat
11-15-2008, 02:02 PM
The pre trip is the big thing.

Junior M
11-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Good luck mini...

Not to take this off subject but why exactly is the pre trip such a big deal?

Gravel Rat
11-15-2008, 02:21 PM
The pre trip is a big deal because you have to show that you can say the truck is safe and ready for the road.

You can fail a CDL test if you don't get the pretrip right. You can also fail a test if you don't do the air brake adjustment/check etc properly.

JDSKIDSTEER
11-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Definitely pre-trip. Also make sure you read all road signs. My instructor asked what one said after we passed it.

ARP
11-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Take your time during all the manuevers. You're not timed so it's not worth rushing it only to blow it. Also, pay attention to what the trooper says. They don't like it when you don't listen.

Don't let yourself get nervous (ya right- everyone's thinkin). If you find yourself getting flustered, stop and think. Nothing is too tricky and I'm sure you're more than prepared.

Finally, have fun! It's only a test and you can always take another one.

Good luck!
Andrew

RockSet N' Grade
11-15-2008, 05:35 PM
MiniMax.......pre-trip is important. Here are a few more questions or things that come up: how far from RR tracks are you suppose to stop? what was the height restriction on that overpass we just went under? can you shift gears through an intersection? can you shift gears going up or down a hill? what gear should you be in when we come down this hill we just went up? how many second interval are you suppose to check your mirrors? If you want more just ask........Pay special attention to your air brake test sequence. Everyone gets uptight, just take your time and be methodical. Oh yea, here's another one.......how do you adjust your brakes or slack adjusters? Show me......

DBL
11-15-2008, 05:41 PM
1st and foremost dont bring something not road worthy or they will park it or tow it until it is ready for the road

Construct'O
11-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Don't hit the curb with the trailer tire when you make the turns.Thats an automatic failure there !

You don't have to get a perfect score you can miss a few things and still pass ,but the curb thing there is no second chance.

Good luck!:usflag:

Dirt Digger2
11-15-2008, 07:45 PM
i could write a book but wont...

first make sure you have your insurance, registration for truck AND trailer, and make sure both have proper inspection stickers on them

next...when i did mine i started at passenger front and worked clockwise...stick your head in every wheel well and comment verbally on the springs, shocks, tread depth, make sure no loose lug nuts, oil in the hubs, no chaffed air lines, etc... my guy watched me do it twice and told me i didn't have to do it for every wheel because i obviously knew what i was looking at

next is lights...self explanatory...make sure you check both horns, trailer couplings, yada yada yada....

you can pass allllllll of that with flying colors and be sent home instantly if you screw up your air test...make sure you know buildup rates for the compressor, when it should kick in, when the buttons pop, when the buzzer comes on....

when you driving...if you go under a bridge or over one...when you get to the other side he will ask what was the weight limit or clearance of that bridge...take note

good luck with it...people really make it out to be a bigger deal then it actually is

Dirt Digger2
11-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Rockset I got lucky, he didn't ask me to do the slack adjusters, that was the only thing i wasn't too sure about

Minimax basically...if you are doing pre-trip and you realize you forgot to do some thing, just go back and check...they aren't looking for a particular order, they will tell you to say you are done, then they will knock points off for things you missed

also get there early and go out back if possible and do the cones course a few times, all mine was was lines painted on a parking lot...had to do a forward pull up getting my front bumper as close to the line as i could without going over, same thing in reverse, then a parallel parking maneuver and that was it for cones course

ksss
11-15-2008, 07:51 PM
i could write a book but wont...

first make sure you have your insurance, registration for truck AND trailer, and make sure both have proper inspection stickers on them

next...when i did mine i started at passenger front and worked clockwise...stick your head in every wheel well and comment verbally on the springs, shocks, tread depth, make sure no loose lug nuts, oil in the hubs, no chaffed air lines, etc... my guy watched me do it twice and told me i didn't have to do it for every wheel because i obviously knew what i was looking at

next is lights...self explanatory...make sure you check both horns, trailer couplings, yada yada yada....

you can pass allllllll of that with flying colors and be sent home instantly if you screw up your air test...make sure you know buildup rates for the compressor, when it should kick in, when the buttons pop, when the buzzer comes on....

when you driving...if you go under a bridge or over one...when you get to the other side he will ask what was the weight limit or clearance of that bridge...take note

good luck with it...people really make it out to be a bigger deal then it actually is

All the above is very true. Watch the road signs.

Get to know your truck. Practice the driving portion, backing through the cones and stop within the desired distance from the cone from the front of the truck. It is not hard but you wont pass the safety inspection if you don't study and practice for it.

Toy2
11-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I have had my CDL-A for 20 years, whatever you do, don't ever let it go, I know in Texas if you blow a .04, half the legal on a blow test..your screwed...so don't even think of drinking and driving..

minimax
11-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys for all the help.I will be taking the teat in my 1 ton and a bigger rented trailer to get over the 26,001 GVWR on the rig so I can get my class A,I will at the air brake part later.

minimax

KrayzKajun
11-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Best of Luck to you!

RockSet N' Grade
11-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Just as an aside........the hardest part for me was parallel parking with a ten wheeler and trailer. I used one of their fleet where I took the test and think I had to pay for cones that were beyond repair when I was done with them :)

coopers
11-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Just as an aside........the hardest part for me was parallel parking with a ten wheeler and trailer.

Are you kidding me? Parallel park a large truck and trailer. What is the point in that? I can understand if it is to develop your backing and maneuvering skills but I have never seen a truck and trailer trying to parallel park. If I did see one...well we'll just leave it at that.

RockSet N' Grade
11-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Coopers.........nope, not kidding you about parallel parking. And I am not kidding about the cones that found their way under the steer tires that I ground into a different form by the time it was all said and done. Quite a frustrating thing. Anyways, there are alot of good thoughts on this post, and once you are a "professional" driver be aware that you are held to a higher standard in the eyes of the law and will be scrutinized more closely whether in a rig or your pick up or hyundai. Any type of alcohol use is severely frowned upon.

NateV
11-16-2008, 01:17 PM
PA makes you do the parrallel park too.

Mjh Excavating
11-16-2008, 05:16 PM
NY too! When I took my test about 20 years ago I had to parralel park a KW tractor and 38' dump trailer, I always see tractor trailers paralel parked:hammerhead:

minimax
11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
I passed.Thanks again guys it really helped

minimax

RockSet N' Grade
11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Awesome MiniMax!! Now, since it is fresh on the mind.......what was the test like? some of the questions/situations that caught you?

bobcat_ron
11-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Did you give the tester a wink and a smile before or after the test?

CAT powered
11-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Congrats, Minimax! That's awesome! Having your CDL opens up a lot of doors for you.

KCfireman
11-16-2008, 08:14 PM
hey man congrats! Our fire dept. is gonna have a CDL class for us so we can drive the city plow trucks this winter. So im right there with ya! Im not sure when my class starts but im suprised they dont require us to have a CDL to drive the Fire trucks.

SuperDuty335
11-16-2008, 09:05 PM
So all you have to do is drive a truck and trailer over 26001 pounds for the test? I thought it HAD to be a tractor and trailer.

CAT powered
11-16-2008, 09:39 PM
For your class A it has to be 26001 and articulated. For your class B it has to be over 26001 with no articulation point.

Dirt Digger2
11-16-2008, 09:52 PM
but if you want your airbrakes you will need to have an airbrake truck

KCfireman
11-16-2008, 09:53 PM
For your class A it has to be 26001 and articulated. For your class B it has to be over 26001 with no articulation point.I love driving a fire truck that weighs 15,000 lbs w/ 2000 gallons of water in the back running hot to a house fire.

minimax
11-16-2008, 09:57 PM
RockSet N' Grade,some of the things that got me are when you are in the intersection make a right turn you have to check your left mirror and when you are making a left turn you have to check your right mirror when you are mid way though the turn I only checked the mirror to the side I was turning too.bobcat_ron,No I did not wink at the tester,I do not wink at guys!
SuperDuty335,Yes if the truck and trailer is over 26,001 you can test with it.

minimax

bobcat_ron
11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh c'mon, I gave my tester a smile and wink after I passed, but that's only because I knew he was one of the queerosexuals.

KCfireman
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Oh c'mon, I gave my tester a smile and wink after I passed, but that's only because I knew he was one of the queerosexuals.How do we know Ron that your not one of those Queerosexuals??? Huhhhh???? Im just messin with ya'

bobcat_ron
11-16-2008, 10:07 PM
How do we know Ron that your not one of those Queerosexuals??? Huhhhh???? Im just messin with ya'

I'd be in a weird relationship with a Cat salesman, getting all kids of crazy "ass" deals on new equipment! :laugh:

marthanmike1959
11-21-2008, 06:31 PM
I've paralled parked plenty of times trucking is my real job.Where it comes in to play is on the shippers property alot of places ask you to pull out of the dock after loading to wait on paper work.Not known for their wide open spaces alot have sraight line parking and you find an open spot and guess what you have to parallel park.

A Cut Above25
12-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Can you clear something up for me? So all I need equipment wise to take the Class A CDL test is a truck and trailer that have a combined GVWR over 26,001 or am I missing something? If so then my F-450 and my 14,000lb trailer or my FL70 and trailer would work to test in? If my FL70 have air brakes then I can use that one to get my air brake endorsment?

Thanks,

Josh

Dirt Digger2
12-02-2008, 12:09 AM
So all I need equipment wise to take the Class A CDL test is a truck and trailer that have a combined GVWR over 26,001 or am I missing something? If so then my F-450 and my 14,000lb trailer or my FL70 and trailer would work to test in?

Josh

Yes

as for airbrakes...i am pretty sure if you go class A your trailer needs to be an airbrake trailer since the GVW of the truck would be less then 26K

A Cut Above25
12-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Yes

as for airbrakes...i am pretty sure if you go class A your trailer needs to be an airbrake trailer since the GVW of the truck would be less then 26K

So a non air brake trailer won't work to get a class A. I only ask because I was told that if you run a truck over 26,001 GVW and want to pull any trailer over 10,000lbs that you need a Class A. So if I upgrade trucks to a 33,000lb gvw I will need a CDL anyway, and to pull our Skids or Mini-x then I will need a Class A. What class did the guy who started the thread get?

Thanks,

Josh

minimax
12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I started the tread and got a class a CDL,The tester said that if you bring a tow rig with air brakes and a trailer without air brakes with a GVWR of 26,001 or more you can get a class A CDL with the air brake endorsement.And you can get a class A CDL without air brakes.

minimax

A Cut Above25
12-02-2008, 12:32 AM
I started the tread and got a class a CDL,The tester said that if you bring a tow rig with air brakes and a trailer without air brakes with a GVWR of 26,001 or more you can get a class A CDL with the air brake endorsement.And you can get a class A CDL without air brakes.

minimax

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. Is the air brake endorsment actually for the trailer?

minimax
12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
No, the air brake endorsment is for the tow rig,I dont think there is a way tow a air brake trailer from a non air brake truck?

minimax