PDA

View Full Version : How is business lately????

JDSKIDSTEER
11-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Just wondering, with all the doom a gloom from the stock and housing markets how business is elsewhere in the country?

Here most of my customers are steady, some say they are swamped, and then there are those who may not make it through the winter.

As far as my part in sales, it was pretty steady up until August and September when we normally slow down anyway. October was worst I have seen in 8 years. November is going to be one of my best months this year.

What about you guys?

bobcat_ron
11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
It's been s...........l..........o............w.

KTM
11-15-2008, 03:34 PM
General Motors is pulling out of my town next month, and most think there not going to reopen this plant. So things are slower than they have been since 1981. All my working life I have never had to drive more than 20 minuets to a job, that is probably going to change. There are some great deals on used houses from the G.M. people relocating, making my new houses not look so good. You would never be able to tell going out on the town, people are still eating and shopping, credit, credit and more credit, that's what people are living of now days.

Junior M
11-15-2008, 03:35 PM
It brings a whole new meaning to slow here... havent had any work in who knows how long...

KTM
11-15-2008, 03:36 PM
bobcat ron that new cat is f**king hilarious reminds me of the bar fly's around here.

Gravel Rat
11-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Its SLOW

Like I have said before nobody has seen it this bad even in the 90s recession there was work.

mrsops
11-15-2008, 03:56 PM
last couple of weeks have been slow but monday im starting a big job 4,000 sq ft of pavers then i have a few trees i have to put in for the city so i will be busy for the next few weeks then hopefully it snows :usflag:

AintNoFun
11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
booked up untill mid decemeber. got a ton of work for next year already.. the economy i think is what you make of it...

Strawbridge Lawn
11-15-2008, 04:56 PM
I had a slow few weeks after the market tanked..Booked out 3-4 weeks now. Any excavator guys need help with landscaping jobs
I am here for you.

J. Peterson Grading
11-15-2008, 05:02 PM
I have about 2 to 3 weeks worth of work to do before it snows. I have around $50000 worth lined up for spring.

J.

Gravel Rat
11-15-2008, 05:25 PM
The big problem here nobody is spending money. People are getting laid off even in the restaurants staff is getting laid off.

RockSet N' Grade
11-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I personally have been steady, my gross receipts were a little less and my overhead was significantly higher. I just talked with a couple buddies. (1) One guy a large heavy machinery guy in Calif. reported the work stopped 1-2 months ago. He is not even taking fuel delieveries to his yard any more. The new air quality controls that are being imposed are going to put the real big guys out of business. As an example: If you have an older non-compliant machine, you can not sell it until it is compliant. You can not dismantle it until it is compliant. With prices the way they are on equipment, you can see the problems there I think. (2) A buddy of mine who ran the dirt division of the largest demolition contractor in the western US just called and said they dismantled the dirt operation as of this Friday with no warning to anyone....POOF!! Gone!!. 80% of this guys demo equipment is being transported to Texas to start a 2-3 year project there, other than that they are slim as far as work goes. That creates great opportunity for me!!! This buddy of mine and I are meeting on Monday to start going after govt. and state work, public transportation work and city work with all the contacts he has in his back pocket. We have spent the better part of the day hashing out the general plan of attack, our respective positions on what we bring to the table and how we can fill the gaps.......I am quite excited. Other guys here are gone, about to be gone or down to cut throating the lowest bid to work for fuel, wages and to keep their doors open. Repo's are starting to surface on the lots and it is a killer time to start shopping. I am lovin it!!

ksss
11-15-2008, 06:05 PM
On the local scene it is very slow. A lot of excavators and landcape guys sitting. One owner of a large landcape operation who was deep in debt, turned his head into a canoe last month (ton of young kids left behind). There will certainly be a reorganization of the local excavation markets by next Spring. When the music quits playing you want to have a place sit down, if your still standing when the music stops (and it has) your in trouble. Newer excavation and landscape companys that did not have the contacts and years of a built up client base were in trouble early and that is continuing and will at least through next Spring.

Personally: The 25 million dollar "spec" house that I have been working on for three years has been put on hold. However I still have been staying busy and if I get the work I have bid. I will be busy for sometime. I have been debating on getting deeper into snow removal (high flow blower, more accounts). Coming off of record snow last year it is tempting. I would like to get more lined up for Spring but no one is projecting that far out. There are still a lot of houses on the market. I have been getting more commercial work and this Fall have made some key contacts with a very large commercial building contractor. It has only taken 14 years to get close to these guys so hopefully that will provide an "in" this Spring.

mrsops
11-15-2008, 06:08 PM
On the local scene it is very slow. A lot of excavators and landcape guys sitting. One owner of a large landcape operation who was deep in debt, turned his head into a canoe last month (ton of young kids left behind). There will certainly be a reorganization of the local excavation markets by next Spring. When the music quits playing you want to have a place sit down, if your still standing when the music stops (and it has) your in trouble. Newer excavation and landscape companys that did not have the contacts and years of a built up client base were in trouble early and that is continuing and will at least through next Spring.

Personally: The 25 million dollar "spec" house that I have been working on for three years has been put on hold. However I still have been staying busy and if I get the work I have bid. I will be busy for sometime. I have been debating on getting deeper into snow removal (high flow blower, more accounts). Coming off of record snow last year it is tempting. I would like to get more lined up for Spring but no one is projecting that far out. There are still a lot of houses on the market. I have been getting more commercial work and this Fall have made some key contacts with a very large commercial building contractor. It has only taken 14 years to get close to these guys so hopefully that will provide an "in" this Spring.

There's no business like no snow business let it snow!!

Construct'O
11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
This year it hasn't been a work problem it has been a weather problem!!!!!!

The wet weather has make field drainage work plentiful,but just too muddy to get much done because of it.:usflag:

CAT powered
11-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm busy through the winter and into next spring.

I'm lookin at a 35k job to haul off waste wood for the state coming up in January. Then once I get that contract I can get myself busy grinding it all up as it comes in and getting it back out the door for a few hundred a load.

I love loyal clients. Especially ones who have money to spend.