PDA

View Full Version : Block Splitter

DVS Hardscaper
11-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Do you own a block splitter?

Or Do you split block and caps by hand??

PatiosInstalled
11-15-2008, 03:49 PM
i have every tool but a spliter I just barrow one from my whole seller i think they said there's cost around $1600.

NewHorizon's Land
11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I have one that came with the trailer I bought equipped for hardscaping. We don't use it much but its handy when we do.

copeblk
11-15-2008, 05:45 PM
yes they are expensive, paid 1400 for ours, but when buliding stairs, walls, collums, there's nothing better, its more than paid for itself in time spent and quality of split. and yes we have split by hand before, still do if need be but this accecpst blocks 10" high and 13" long. also great for spliting limestone treads when a rough end to match the face is desired

copeblk
11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
forgot to say, sometimes it works too well, like with weathered versalock, the side split is too "nice" compared to the weatheard face.

PatiosInstalled
11-15-2008, 05:55 PM
we just take a hammer and make the split end match the factory face.

zedosix
11-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Could someone post a link on what they think is a great stone splitter (guillitine) I have one but it weighs around 100lbs and is rather clumsy to work with.

orionkf
11-15-2008, 10:35 PM
wheres the rent option?

bigviclbi
11-15-2008, 11:28 PM
I saw cut and use a brush hammer($121) to beat it up. You can get the hammer from bon tools and it works mush better than a regular mason hammer.

BOEpavers
11-16-2008, 12:23 AM
We have two of the Probst splitters. We do a lot of combo walls and have one set at 6" and one at 3" so it saves time adjusting every time you change sizes. Wouldn't be without.

McKeeLand
11-16-2008, 10:44 AM
here is the splitter we use http://www.pavetech.com/tools/p_splitter.shtm
when i bought it i paid $800 for it. it is a paver splitter and does everything we need, it does wall caps 3 and 6" block. hte only thing it doesn't do is 8", how ever i have made extenders for the few 8" blocks per year we need to split. it works way better than any other splitter have used and have never had an issue with it in 5years. best money spend on a tool.

bigviclbi
11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
mckeeland the link says it does cuts up to 4 3/4 inches are you sure this is the same block cutter you use? That's why I never bought the smaller splitter I diddn't think it could handle 6" block.

McKeeLand
11-16-2008, 11:31 AM
i am pretty sure its the same splitter, unless they changed the design. ours is not meant to split 6", but they just barley fit in there. i actually made some extensions for it that act like spacers that screw into the posts.

Hokie84
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I bought a splitter last year. We don't use it on every job, but when we need it, it is a real time saver. It is great for the Versa-Lok and Techo Mini-creta walls we do, but not big enough for the 8" Quarry Stone we like to use. Does anybody routinely use a splitter for pavers instead of a saw?

stuvecorp
11-16-2008, 11:46 PM
I bought a splitter from Versa-Lok back in 2000 I think? It is called the Versa-splitter, has worked great. I think it was around $1200 back then. This year I got parts to make it good as new. I would not be without it.

Dreams To Designs
11-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Vic, I have access to the same splitter Jason has, and it does 6" block as well. Won't do anything bigger, but it does 3" & 6" very well. Check it out in person to make sure they have not changed the design, but have never used the Probst large splitter. For the larger block, I remember the splitter being gray, and made by an Italian company. I don't think I have ever split a paver for a job, only just to see what it would look like.

Andrew, I'm sure there are many in the, rent or borrow, and will own category.

Kirk

atasteofnature
11-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I just finished a project spillting about 70 some blocks and am ready to pay for a spillter. The ones I have seen are between $700-$1,000

YardPro
11-21-2008, 07:20 AM
we also own a probst...$1200.00 of very well spent money...

i used to think that the price was rediculus, then i started building columns.... with celtic wall, you have to split blocks to build each course...

i borrowed one for our first column job.... i bought one the very next day...

you can also use it to split tumbled pavers as well.

zedosix
11-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Vic, I have access to the same splitter Jason has, and it does 6" block as well. Won't do anything bigger, but it does 3" & 6" very well. Check it out in person to make sure they have not changed the design, but have never used the Probst large splitter. For the larger block, I remember the splitter being gray, and made by an Italian company. I don't think I have ever split a paver for a job, only just to see what it would look like.

Andrew, I'm sure there are many in the, rent or borrow, and will own category.

Kirk

The splitter I have is roughly 12yrs old, it is also grey and it is made by an italian company. Its a tool that we need to use much more often than we do. Only problem is it won't cut a 135mm celtik block. I will look into the probst next season.

NewHorizon's Land
11-21-2008, 04:29 PM
It is the purpose of splitting pavers?

zedosix
11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
It is the purpose of splitting pavers?

Anything up to 5" or so. I would never see the need to split pavers. Gotta be smooth.

YardPro
11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Anything up to 5" or so. I would never see the need to split pavers. Gotta be smooth.

with the tumbled pavers you will never realize they were not saw cut.

zedosix
11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
with the tumbled pavers you will never realize they were not saw cut.

Agreed, but useless with a soldier course.

rholt9
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
We have a pavetech block splitter and it works great with block and caps. We never use it for our pavers, just saw cut them. I remeber splitting the block and caps with the hammer method and just was a pain and time consuming. The block splitter was definiteyl worth it. I purchased it about 4 years ago at MAHTS for around $900 I believe.