PDA

View Full Version : scraper attachment for ct332

P.Services
11-15-2008, 11:37 PM
what do you guys think about making a attachment thats a mix of a ashland scraper and bobcat rons haul wagon (what ever its called)

it would load like the ashland but dump like the wagon. it would have two big wheels up front and then a hydraulic cylinder that lowers the cutting edge to cut/load. with the hydro to lower the cutting edge i can keep the loader arms braced up against the machine and it would be easier to cut small amounts then using the bucket curl to lower the edge.

im thinking 84'' wide 60'' deep and 36'' tall to hold about 4 heaped yards.

was any one able to follow this idea? thoughts?

P.Services
11-15-2008, 11:52 PM
link to the ashland http://www.ashlandind.com/25SS.html

Junior M
11-15-2008, 11:54 PM
What would be the reason for having one? What would be the advantages over a bucket?

P.Services
11-15-2008, 11:55 PM
link to bobcat hoper http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/dumping_hopper

P.Services
11-15-2008, 11:57 PM
What would be the reason for having one? What would be the advantages over a bucket?

so i could move alot more dirt farther distances and still be productive.

when its to far to move one bucket at a time but not far enough to justify loading it into a truck to move it. or in to poor of conditions to run a truck in.

bobcat_ron
11-16-2008, 09:28 AM
The Ashland loads and dumps like you want, but it uses the aux. hydraulics to drop the edge down to load, it still doesn't hold nearly as much as a dumping hopper.
You still have better control of how much you dig with just a regular bucket, especially in soft conditions.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures187.jpg
You could spend a couple thousand dollars modifying a Bobcat dumping hopper to act like a scraper pan, use a cylinder to close/open the gate, but then you are still better off just using the hopper like it is or just buy the Ashland kit.

GradeMan
11-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Just get a dozer...
How about a little dozer blade attachment? Do they work on a skid?

bobcat_ron
11-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Just get a dozer...
How about a little dozer blade attachment? Do they work on a skid?

Yes and no, they are good for short pushing, but anything longer than 100 feet, a bucket can do a better job, you really need to do trough pushing, I've done 200 foot passes with a D4 and that's productive, but with a skid steer, forget it, I would rather bring in my hopper.

Junior M
11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Personally, I dont see the purpose of the scraper, I believe you could be just as productive and make more accurate cuts with a bucket, there would probably be more money involved to get it fabbed than its worth.

RockSet N' Grade
11-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Ron,
How has that hopper held up. The more I see it and talk about it, the more I see a tremendous use for it.....

bobcat_ron
11-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Ron,
How has that hopper held up. The more I see it and talk about it, the more I see a tremendous use for it.....

It's got a few dents in it and the bottom is pointing down from some large chunks of concrete I may have dropped at full height. It's actually really tough, but the tires should be bigger, like from a S220 or something, the bigger, the better........said my girl friend last night.

P.Services
11-16-2008, 06:27 PM
no ron you didnt hear her right she said "it would be better if it was bigger"

P.Services
11-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Personally, I dont see the purpose of the scraper, I believe you could be just as productive and make more accurate cuts with a bucket, there would probably be more money involved to get it fabbed than its worth.

yes im starting to think its just not worth the $$$ i figure around 5-7k to make what i want. that can be a down payment on a nice little dozer like a 450j lgp or a d41p. or it could be half of a old cat loader like a 950b or 966b.

not to mention a ct332 having to move 4-5 yards of dirt all day is going to be working its trax off all day but a 966 moving 5 yards is just doing a normal day.

ksss
11-16-2008, 06:32 PM
no ron you didnt hear her right she said "it would be better if it was bigger"

Or maybe you over heard her while she was leaving your best friends house.:clapping:

bobcat_ron
11-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Or maybe you over heard her while she was leaving your best friends house.:clapping:

Oh, snap!!!

Junior M
11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh:

J. Peterson Grading
11-16-2008, 07:47 PM
The scraper is the the best way. With Rons you either have to unhook your bucket to load or have a second machine there to do it. It works the same when you unload as well. With the scraper you have a self contained unit. Loading and unloading.

But at $14 to $15000 you better be able to use it, and make it pay.

A dozer is going to cost any where from $20 (Used) $100000 New. And if it sits then you can kiss that investment good by.

I just got done with a large flood recovey project. If I had just one of those Ashlands it could have been done in half the time with less people.

JR. I think you miss the point. with the scraper, its about moving volume fast. Instead of one bucket at a time. The scraper allows you to do it while you cut your grade or work your fill.

Picasso. How long do you plan on keeping your 332? If you trade before 1000 hrs, let someone else worry about track wear, the you get a new toy to talk about. And aren't you the one that has the wheel loader bucket on your CTL?

If I bank enough snow this winter, I am getting one of these.

Both have there place.

P.Services
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
The scraper is the the best way. With Rons you either have to unhook your bucket to load or have a second machine there to do it. It works the same when you unload as well. With the scraper you have a self contained unit. Loading and unloading.

But at $14 to $15000 you better be able to use it, and make it pay.

A dozer is going to cost any where from $20 (Used) $100000 New. And if it sits then you can kiss that investment good by.

I just got done with a large flood recovey project. If I had just one of those Ashlands it could have been done in half the time with less people.

JR. I think you miss the point. with the scraper, its about moving volume fast. Instead of one bucket at a time. The scraper allows you to do it while you cut your grade or work your fill.

Picasso. How long do you plan on keeping your 332? If you trade before 1000 hrs, let someone else worry about track wear, the you get a new toy to talk about. And aren't you the one that has the wheel loader bucket on your CTL?

If I bank enough snow this winter, I am getting one of these.

Both have there place.

it sounds like you understand the idea goo and that was very good insight.

but it wont be the same as either the ashland or rons tub. it will be just like the ashland exept to dump it you will use the loader arms to raise it up and dump it in a pile. this would be to make it easier to build and cheaper.

J. Peterson Grading
11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Have you seen my mini rock box? It was a simple idea, Simple in theory. Then I had it built and $3500 later I have a awesome timesaver that sits on a shelf in my cold storage shop.

Point is. Your idea is a good one. But the size and scope of the fabrication is going to suprise you.

If you are using the aux Hyd, to adjust the cutting edge, why not just do it the same as the ashland?

The ashland isn't a new Idea at all, just a new application. I have seen many compact Ag type scraper. (Soil mover, Scoop All/carry All, Orthman to name a few) that make the excact same unit, but you pull it. You can locate them at just about any farm impliment dealership or ag salvage yard.

A good Fab shop could just modify it to your applications, and I bet it would be less expensive and work better.

J.

Junior M
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Money would be the deciding point for me, try and get a rough idea on what it will cost to build what you want, and then see what it will cost to buy the ashland scraper and then modify it to your standards..

J. Peterson Grading
11-16-2008, 08:20 PM
JR. Ashlands cost any where from $14000 to $15000. So making a modification, that might or might not work IS going to be a costly.

J.

P.Services
11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
i would NEVER buy a ashland. thats half the price of a good low hour dozer.

i figure i could have one built for arou 5-7k. is it worth it probly not. but maybe.

Junior M
11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
JR. Ashlands cost any where from $14000 to $15000. So making a modification, that might or might not work IS going to be a costly.

J.
I had no clue they cost that much, seems really pricey, just forget I ever said anything about modifying one...

J. Peterson Grading
11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I have seen some diecient Komatsu D21s (The size I would get for my needs) on ebay and machinery trader selling anywhere from 12000 to 22000.

I saw a sweet one with cab, heat, air, and joystick steering go for $20000 a few weeks ago.

I would have snatched it up, if i wasn't diverting all funds to snow removal. lol

But something nice about an ashland. WAY LESS MAINTANCE over a dover. Everything is right there. easy to get at. No tracks to go bad, no motor, no tranny, etc. And when you aren't using it, drop it and you don't feel quite as bad about seeing it sit.

I have a friend thats got a 9 yard pull type ashland for his farm. Its built tough, and works everytime they hook it up.

j.

stuvecorp
11-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Have you seen my mini rock box? It was a simple idea, Simple in theory. Then I had it built and $3500 later I have a awesome timesaver that sits on a shelf in my cold storage shop.

Point is. Your idea is a good one. But the size and scope of the fabrication is going to suprise you.

If you are using the aux Hyd, to adjust the cutting edge, why not just do it the same as the ashland?

The ashland isn't a new Idea at all, just a new application. I have seen many compact Ag type scraper. (Soil mover, Scoop All/carry All, Orthman to name a few) that make the excact same unit, but you pull it. You can locate them at just about any farm impliment dealership or ag salvage yard.

A good Fab shop could just modify it to your applications, and I bet it would be less expensive and work better.

J.

Exactly, I had a rock bucket built that was the same way. 'I can build it for half'...then "it takes alot of steel, gonna need more'...then 'it took way longer, sorry'. I ended up with more than I would have just bought one and it wasn't as nice.

J. Peterson Grading
11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Aren't we just suckers? lol

bobcat_ron
11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I can see a dumping hopper being converted into a scraper style, drop the bottom out, weld a hinge on the back and use 2 cylinders to raise and lower it with a cutting edge on the front, then you would also need an end gate to open simultaneously while the bottom lowers down.
The depth adjustments would be using the auxiliaries. When it gets full, pull the bottom up and dump.
The only problem is the cylinders need to be at least 4" in diameter to handle lifting the bottom up while loading.
It can be done.

Digdeep
11-16-2008, 09:06 PM
I remember seeing an Ashland scraper hooked up to the rear 2" receiver of a ASV 4810 about 6-7 years ago. I think it was a 3 yarder. You would have to be able to move alot of dirt to justify the cost.