PDA

View Full Version : How to snuff NJ Unemployment?

shovelracer
11-16-2008, 08:09 PM
OK these deadbeat workers are driving me crazy. A few years ago I had a guy that I wanted to rehire the next year so I didn't fuss when he collected over the winter. Prior to him no one collected on my dime. Well he spread the word the next year and each worker spread the word. Down the line it went. Even though he is long gone every time a worker leaves they collect. I have fought everyone and have never won. I have had guys collect for getting fired from abandoning work, smoking pot, peeing on a house in front of customer, cursing at me, drinking on the job, and abusing equipment. Lost each appeal.

My wife is a contracted teacher and she cant collect during the summer, so why can workers collect during the winter? How do you go about making them ineligible for unemployment right off the bat. This has been going on so long that my rates are double what they used to be. I'm tired of feeling like the state is backing these deadbeats.

The last issue was I hired 2 guys that were on unemployment. They worked for a week, then took seven days off to build a shed for some guy. I had work available and they collected insurance for that week and got paid for the shed. They returned the following week cause I was in a bind and needed to get work done. I received a letter that they collected and I fought it. The state told me that unless I could prove they where working for themselves I had no case. They told the state that I didn't have work that week. I lost again. What gives?

DLAWNS
11-16-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't really have any advice. I just can't believe that you did not win any of those appeals. That is ridiculous. Maybe go talk to the unemployment office before you hire someone and see if you can stop them from getting it. I don't believe you can actually do that, though.

shovelracer
11-16-2008, 08:58 PM
As far as I am concerned they are a complete joke. A joke at my expense. Basically the most common answer is prove it. So if they pee on the house you need to take a picture, if they smoke pot you need to call the cops, if they dont show up its probably cause grandma died for the 8th time, and if they abuse your equipment it is only your opinion unless you have documented repairs. I have read many threads on this and it seems most workers are dumb enough to incriminate themselves, unfortunately mine havent been.

DLAWNS
11-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Jersey's a wonderful place, huh.

AintNoFun
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
shovel,

i feel your pain, ive had guys move leave the state and still collect.. guys left never come back. ive probably had 50 guys over the past 7 or 8 years a lot of them just quit during the summer and collected. i got smart one year and started files on the guys and wrote them up. went to a hearing with the file, the state didn't want to hear it. guy got unemployment. as far as im concerned NJ is not a small business friendly state and we are wrong in every instance. now i never fought a case where i was wrong fired the guy or lack of work, etc. but when i was right i was still wrong.... one of the reasons i downsized and got out of the grass cutting business. i have 4 guys that have been with me since the beginning and couldn't be happier!

Flow Control
11-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Unemployment is beneficial to those that use it properly. Every time I have challenged it I have won. One year a worker when on it and that was fine until I heard he pocketed about $500 off me on a side job and that he was spending the winter in Cali. So I argued why am I paying him unemployment while he is out of state, I have "work" for him but he is unable to work since he is in Cali. They agreed and made him pay back a 6 weeks worth of benefits. If you have guys not using it for the correct reason and you have work to be done, just offer them the work and if they refuse let the unemployment office know.

DLAWNS
11-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Unemployment is beneficial to those that use it properly. Every time I have challenged it I have won. One year a worker when on it and that was fine until I heard he pocketed about $500 off me on a side job and that he was spending the winter in Cali. So I argued why am I paying him unemployment while he is out of state, I have "work" for him but he is unable to work since he is in Cali. They agreed and made him pay back a 6 weeks worth of benefits. If you have guys not using it for the correct reason and you have work to be done, just offer them the work and if they refuse let the unemployment office know.

That's great advice...except things aren't always that easy in Jersey.

shovelracer
11-17-2008, 05:31 PM
So is there no answer. Why cant teachers collect?

DLAWNS
11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure why teachers can't collect, but for that matter why can't we collect? My wife pays me a paycheck and unemployment comes out. I definitely see what you are saying and I wish I had an answer for you.

mrusk
11-17-2008, 08:43 PM

SHHHHHHH Be quiet man. If the teachers union reads this thread I bet they will find a way to collect!

PROCUT1
11-17-2008, 08:44 PM

Maybe because they already get a full years pay for a half years work?

lawns Etc
11-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Teachers are not allowed to pay in taxes to state unemployment in NJ thats why they cannot collect

corey4671
11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
In TN teachers are paid a yearly salary. they have the option to be paid only the months that school is in session or have it stretched so that they have an equal paycheck 12 months out of the year. My wife is an EA and my mother in law is a teacher plus I dated a couple of teachers before I met my wife.

shovelracer
11-17-2008, 09:32 PM
My wife pays into the unemployment. I have gathered that it is cause they receive a full years pay in 10 months and have a scheduled return date.