PDA

View Full Version : Found a Dump

earthmover
11-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Well i've been looking looking for a single axle dump to get started in the excavation business. I plan on buying a dump and a 20 ton tag and renting for a while to see how it goes. The truck is a 1998 Kenworth T300 with a cummins 8.3l with 250 hp, 9 speed transmission, 12 foot body,new tires, 225,000 miles, very clean interior. The guy was asking 28,000 and I got him down to 25,000 so i put a deposit on it. What do you guys think about the price? Just want to make sure im making a good desicion.

P.Services
11-16-2008, 11:27 PM
wow thats alot of miles on a rather old truck for 25k.

Dirt Digger2
11-16-2008, 11:31 PM
those miles are nothing on a "real truck" we had a MACK with over a million miles on it when it got sold...whats the GVW on that rig?

good luck getting started at this time of the century....man its slow

Gravel Rat
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
It sounds like it started life as a single axle truck tractor. Anyhow it sounds like a good deal for 25 grand. I think you will be wishing you bought a tandem when you start pulling a tag trailer.

The KW T-300 is a good medium duty truck alot better than a Freightliner or International.

stuvecorp
11-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Well i've been looking looking for a single axle dump to get started in the excavation business. I plan on buying a dump and a 20 ton tag and renting for a while to see how it goes. The truck is a 1998 Kenworth T300 with a cummins 8.3l with 250 hp, 9 speed transmission, 12 foot body,new tires, 225,000 miles, very clean interior. The guy was asking 28,000 and I got him down to 25,000 so i put a deposit on it. What do you guys think about the price? Just want to make sure im making a good desicion.

There was a tandem KW on Truck paper down south that went for 22,000 with a 16' box and have found some Petes in that price range. The mileage is not that bad if the truck has been taken care of. I built a single axle contractor truck and have that much in it. What are you going to tow?

Gravel Rat
11-16-2008, 11:56 PM
The biggest problem with a single axle pulling a tag is the front tires like to leave the ground :laugh:

The tounge weight makes the truck see saw on the rear axle and shorter the wheelbase worse it gets. A truck with a 12 foot box only has a wheelbase of 170-180 inches

earthmover
11-17-2008, 12:06 AM
The GVW is 33,000#'s. I plan on towing mostly a backhoe and dozer which both weigh about 10 tons.

RockSet N' Grade
11-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Its not enough truck. Its not enough power. It is on the edge of not safe because you don't really have enough brake. You will feel like you are towing a motorhome behind a volkswagen bus. I know that from experience. The cost of a small single axle truck is about the same as a tandem, yet in a tandem you have more braking power, more traction with more rubber on the ground and you certainly want to look at a truck with 400 hp so you can get out of your own way. That single axle truck has got to be spotless at that price, there are trucks around here or on trucktrader for 10k less than what you quoted.

Dirt Digger2
11-17-2008, 12:33 AM
you'll be alright...we pull a backhoe, dozer, and trackloaders with our F800 which has a lot less gears and power then your truck

your not going to win any drag races but it will do...you might also have the tendecy to get into jackknife situations if you have to stop fast...but take your time..its a great starter truck

ksss
11-17-2008, 12:35 AM
I'll bet that is a sweet truck. However for the money, I will echo what GR said. Get a tandem or better.

I started out with a 33K single axle as well. The problem is you have no hauling capability to speak of. You will find yourself having to hire trucks on decent sized jobs. You are really buying this truck to pull equipment. If you get a tandem or triaxle truck you can pull your equipment and haul material. The costs to operate are very close. The resale on a single axle truck like that is hit and miss. Hauling material is an important part of excavating, sometimes trucking for others maybe all you have going. No one hires a single axle truck for anything.

Having been down this road, I would reconsider your single axle choice. The same or near same money can buy you a nice tandem or for a little more money can you a triaxle. I bought a 99 Mack several months ago with a demo body, drop axle with 299K, 465 hp, 18 speed, for 38K.

Gravel Rat
11-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Braking power is a big problem with single axle trucks. The food distributer (GFS) has single axle tractors with single axle trailers and tandem axle trailers the brakes on the truck are smoking hot.

A tandem isn't all that expensive to operate for one it handles a 20 ton tag heck of a lot safer a truck with 400hp also helps.