PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite bulb auger?

mowingguy
11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
We have been using a couple homemade ones for the past two seasons to punch holes for bulb planting. They are faster than garden trowels but not nearly ideal. We attach the augers to 18volt rechargable drills and drill to clean out the hole then drop bulbs in and cover.

What brand and size auger do you use? Also where did you get the augers? -SL

White Gardens
11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
We have been using a couple homemade ones for the past two seasons to punch holes for bulb planting. They are faster than garden trowels but not nearly ideal. We attach the augers to 18volt rechargable drills and drill to clean out the hole then drop bulbs in and cover.

What brand and size auger do you use? Also where did you get the augers? -SL

I just got done using a generic bulb auger from a local garden supply store for 16 bucks. I do believe it was 3 inch diameter flighting, 20 inches in length. More than sufficient.

To heck with the cordless drill, I just bust out the drop cords and use a corded drill. Way more power than even an 18v cordless.

250 tulip bulbs in 1.5 hours.

Dreams To Designs
11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I have purchased a couple of bulb augers from AM Leonard. They work well and have lasted a few seasons so far. I too use a cordless 18v drill with some extra batteries.

Kirk

EagleLandscape
11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I have used the same one for 2 years now. Drilled over 40,000 holes with it. Home depot for like $15.

Broke the stem 3x though, it gets shorter every time i use it:) But it still works. I don't bother with cordless, always use corded 1/2" drill, more power less work.

KACYDS
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
I know that JDL/Lesco sold a 3" auger at one time, dont know if they still do. Might want to give that a try.

packey
12-22-2008, 10:12 PM
use a paint auger/mixer attached to your drill

PerfectEarth
12-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Buy a Stihl BT45 (i think...) Earth Auger. Different bits are costly, but the time they save is priceless. Largest bit is great for 1 gal. stuff.... the 2 inch is great for bulbs.