PDA

View Full Version : core drilling again

Mark B
11-17-2008, 02:40 PM
I know this has been talked about. I can't find the other thread that the geek did.

Here is my question. Has anyone had to core drill pavers that are used on a driveway? I have never had to core drill on pavers. I have experience on flat concrete.

Has anyone used a handheld core drill? If so what were your thoughts on using one?

I'm worried that the core drill will be not be able to get a vaccum on the hardscapes. Then it would spin out of control if I use it. Anyone have any ideas?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
It all depends on the pavers. I have done it using a handheld SDS MAX hammer drill and 5" core bit in the past but the outcome depends entirely on the pavers. I would try to use the smallest Dia. fixtures you can find and then try to place them such that overlapping of the pavers is minimized.

If the pavers happen to be granite, then you are in luck. If they are more like a composite concrete , then you will have to go slow and be patient. No rushing it. Ideally you would want to find a drill unit that you can switch the hammer mech. off so the risk of cracking the pavers is minimized. These tend to be larger units that come on a stand that bolts to the surface being drilled.

Best of luck.

S&MLL
11-17-2008, 06:28 PM
I know my evening star distributor core drills the pavers for me. I believe he said they were required to purchase one to sell the product. Maybe pm champion l/s he will probably have much better info.

Lite4
11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Just hire the core drilling done for you by a concrete cutting company.

MarkOlex
11-17-2008, 06:35 PM
If you are using a 4" then you should be fine with the handheld. You will need to go slow to get it to bite. If you are using a 6" then I would not try using the handheld. You can do it.........

Mark B
11-17-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure what type of pavers they are. I think I might try the handheld. Thanks for the info.

ChampionLS
11-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, I think we've mastered the paver-core-drilling-process.
Using a hand held 1/2 capacity drill (about 1,200 rpm), and a core bit, with a water swivel, it takes about two minutes.

Using a professional core drill (more power, faster rpm).. about a minute and a half.

You can see more of this at our website:
www.eveningstarlighting.com