PDA

View Full Version : Tow with ZTR?

catflyer
11-17-2008, 11:04 PM
My Jazee One has a pin type hitch on the back. I'd like to use it with a nursery dolly converted to move rocks and wood. Anybody have experience towing with a ZTR? Thanks

catflyer
11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
None of you tow garden carts with your ZTRs?

LarryF
11-19-2008, 10:13 AM
My Jazee One has a pin type hitch on the back. I'd like to use it with a nursery dolly converted to move rocks and wood. Anybody have experience towing with a ZTR? Thanks

This topic has been covered before, so if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find some comments. Some ZTR owners say it's ok to do so and some say no, because it's too much of a strain on the hydraulic pumps. My ZTR came with a towing hitch, so I've done it with no adverse results. I have even towed a 6 x 12 trailer filled with logs. Not sure of the weight, but it must have been about a ton. But I don't do it often.

catflyer
11-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Larry, Thanks. I tried searching but must not have good "key words", and am not too proficient with the search tool. = no luck. I'll try again. Brian

LarryF
11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Larry, Thanks. I tried searching but must not have good "key words", and am not too proficient with the search tool. = no luck. I'll try again. Brian

I see what you mean. I tried too and came up with what looked like dozens of threads that seem to have nothing to do with towing or ZTR. Looks like the LawnSite search tool isn't too good. But I have seen the topic posted. As I recall, those of us who have towed with a ZTR had a commercial one. But as I understand it, yours is not. But since it came with a tow hitch and you only want to drag a small trailer, I think it should be ok. If I were in your shoes, I'd just go ahead and do it.

catflyer
11-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Larry, Thanks again! I did find an old thread after scrolling way down one of the search results. My thinking had been to tow about 200lb. and most of the weight would be on the "cart", although the mower would be my brakes going down a hill. After reading that thread I'm tempted to put a ball hitch on it just to move my Hobiecat sailboat in and out of the garage. It weighs about 360lb plus the trailer, but it would only be perhaps 40 feet with just a gentle slope in front of the garage. I'll let you know how it goes. Brian

catflyer
11-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Spoke with the guys at the dealer the other day. They said not to tow even 200lbs as the transmissions aren't up to it. They said a light load of wood is fine, but that's about it. Guess I'll be using the car and some muscle for the boat, and two dollies together for the rocks. The dollies work great, but it's hard to control the rig going down hill with a lot of weight. Some of the "commercial" models can plow/blow snow, and tow sizable carts, but most can't take the strain on the transmissions.

jkingrph
11-23-2008, 10:47 AM
fI e mailed Scag when I got my Wildcat a couple of years ago and the replied 250 Lbs.

LuvMyFerris
12-31-2008, 10:53 AM
My ZTR mower maker also sells a hitch kit which I have but have not used yet, I think its says 250lbs too...YMMV

CoupesCuts
12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
I tow an aerator and a small cart with firewood with now problems.

Tuna3679
12-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Scags and some larger Hustlers you can tow with but never more than what would be equal to a large wheelbarrow full