PDA

View Full Version : New site

goog
11-17-2008, 10:20 PM
www.texahoma.com

It's not quite done yet, still needs a few pictures and some more detail, but hows the general direction of the site so far?

Kiril
11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Couple of things on a quick look:

1) Header is WAY too big. You need to shrink it by no less than 200px.
2) I would like to see the contact form centered instead of right aligned
3) You need to expand considerable on what you mean by naturalistic methods. This IMHO is your hitch and you need to make it prominent..
4) Menu item should read "Ice Rinks". When I first saw it I thought you misspelled "links"
5) You need to include all your contact information on the contact page.

On the code side:

1) CODE IS A MESS!!!!!!!! FIX IT!!!!
2) Layout problems need to be fixed.

JFGLN
11-18-2008, 10:44 AM
What's a Rink?

WebMan
11-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Another Yahoo---jeeze, is that the ONLY name landscapers know :confused:

You have it messed up so bad I suggest starting over. I have a 22" wide screen and had to scroll sideways because your right text isn't in it's "box".

The code is horrible, hard to even make out... I bet you did a lot of stopping & starting & changing, thus my suggestion for starting with a fresh slate.

And nobody here reads any other posts... it must be "landscaper's block" because I haven't seen a site that has taken a word of my advice and used it on their home page... and I'm tired of retyping it....and where are the folks from Yahoo & GoDaddy giving all their customer's here a single bit of help on anything?

Lawn care people don't care about a good site builder-as long as it's Yahoo or GoDaddy or a big name They don't listen to a word of advice on how to make their sites generate business. So no matter how many hours & hours I put in here giving people sound advice on design that might help them get some business they will never look at the logic of even considering a company like mine (I mean just 1 or 2 calls or e-mails-not even sales would show someone was interested in all the advice I was giving away that most people charge for.) Landscapers don't read previous posts so I just have to keep repeating myself. And no, I don't post as "advertising" but you would think after tons of posts one person would e-mail to say thanks or ask a question or something...so I guess what landscapers really want is someone to just tell them "wow-looks GREAT!" so they can be proud...even though 2 years from now they will be one of those people that says "aw I tried a web site, it was a waste of money, didn't get any business"

Sorry, Not taking it out on you personally goog but I bet you (like 99.9% of the people here) never even compared us to Yahoo, so you have now got a site that's horribly messed up (as far as the code & display and it won't "rank" on the search engines) and you didn't take my advice in any of at least 4 posts I have made here recently on how to write text (copy) that shows benefits and generates sales.
Call Yahoo "support" and ask them to help you out and see what they say (being an "old generation" Texan old enough to be most of the people here's daddy I actually believe in helping people; I do it here and on at least 3 similar sites for free even though people here don't listen...)

Kiril
11-18-2008, 11:23 AM
And no, I don't post as "advertising"

Ummmm, yes you do, you just hide it well. This is why I give you a hard time, and probably why your post count is capped at 9.

Also, no offense, but I have visited your website and I ran away.

goog
11-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I went with yahoo because it was ranked well by pc magazine, the templates seemed ok, and it seemed simply. I'm sure their are many hosting companies that give more control to the creator, but I don't have the time to learn html, xml or any other language/ web site creation tools. I also don't have the money to pay some who has the know how so it's my dilemma.
That being said I'll try and work it out with compatibility issues on wide screen
viewing and deal with the banner size.

Also if some knew what a rink was maybe I would have sold a few more- need more pictures

goog
11-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Also, it annoys me that all do it your self web site tools seem sh*tty

WebMan
11-18-2008, 01:06 PM
A better site builder doesn't require you to know those things. It just generates cleaner "code" and offers more options for you to get away from the "template" look. I find it interesting that the software that is ranked as the "best" consistently in polls of web hosting companies or on web sites about web sites (sounds funny) wasn't even reviewed by that magazine (at least by web search of their reviews) but they never advertise anywhere.

May I note one thing here: Don't believe the reviews of ANYTHING in the PC Magazines without skepticism. More so the products than the things like Yahoo. But all those magazines "cater" to their advertisers. A perfect example is Norton Anti-Virus. Their "360" product was rated #1 by most all the magazines like that and yet is about the worst (2nd from the bottom) if you look at true unbiased anti-virus testing.
Remember those magazines all have advertisers so while they may rate one product better than another they will tend to go with the biggest advertisers as best many times. Also if you don't go to their web site and read their "test criteria" you may not realize part of that anti-virus rating was based on "user-interface or "appearance" which is a lot less important to me than if it catches viruses.
Some of their reviews may be useful, but take them with a grain of salt or do a lot of web-searching too.

And Kiril as far as the post count it's because they do not count posts in this forum. So unless I start making posts about lawn mowers (which I know nothing about) the post count doesn't change.
If you "ran" from my web site, that's OK too. I had a thread here they deleted trying to figure what would attract people like landscapers and one guy was about to give me an answer about some pod casts where he had heard web hosts advertised and the thread disappeared. Maybe it was considered advertising but you can't please everyone and if anything in the web business is "cookie cutter" it's web host's sites. So I went with educational rather than the typical "Sign up now get this huge bunch of stuff for $3.99" conglomeration of "call-outs" that are 99% of web host's sites.

It is 6 years old though (very old for a web site) and that's why I was looking for some ideas, not asking people to go to my site or tell me what they thought of it, but asking what influenced them to choose whoever they chose to see what elements appealed to this group which seems to know little about the web world (very generally) so in designing a new site it might be more appealing to them. However the post was pulled, I guess it got too close to the "no advertising" rules, at least the way it was perceived. You don't have a web site listed so that way we don't know if you just don't have one or it would make me run too :)

Kiril
11-18-2008, 01:19 PM
If you "ran" from my web site, that's OK too. ......... So I went with educational rather than the typical "Sign up now get this huge bunch of stuff for $3.99" conglomeration of "call-outs" that are 99% of web host's sites.

The reason why I ran from your website is because it is TOO BUSY! Educational is great, but IMHO has no business on a homepage, and you are violating your 8 sec rule. Do want me to critique your website?

You don't have a web site listed so that way we don't know if you just don't have one or it would make me run too :)

You are correct, that however doesn't mean I don't have websites. My "other job" is developing web applications, so all my sites currently are development sites which are not intended for public consumption.

p.s. weird on the post count thing. I thought it was only in the off-topic forums they didn't count posts for.

WebMan
11-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Also, forgot to mention, another thing I see here. All web hosting usually comes with e-mail so you should have an e-mail like info@texahoma.com instead of the "gnail" Things like hotmail & gmail make it look like you are trying to hide your identity or don't have a web site (more important on your cards & other local ads--sends people to your site AND lets them know you have "real" company e-mail.
I also noticed the top photo (which is way too big) is cut off so it shows nothing of the landscape on a landscape site. Maybe your program will let you substitute header banner photos in the template (that's one of the type things I meant that "good" site builders will let you do)

goog
11-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Also, forgot to mention, another thing I see here. All web hosting usually comes with e-mail so you should have an e-mail like info@texahoma.com instead of the "gnail" Tl.

I also noticed the top photo (which is way too big) is cut off so it shows nothing of the landscape on a landscape site. Maybe your program will let you substitute header banner photos in the template (that's one of the type things I meant that "good" site builders will let you do)

I have a bunch of @texahoma.com address inc. info@texahoma.com but I'm still testing them out before I switch over(seems like yahoo was eating some of my emails). As much as gmail doesn't look professional it works really well.

I can't edit the house on the banner- all of the templates are set in stone.

Also I have 30 days to ditch yahoo. Is there anything better

Kiril
11-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I can't edit the house on the banner- all of the templates are set in stone.

What does that mean? You don't have access to the code?

Also I have 30 days to ditch yahoo. Is there anything better

There are many hosting services that are far better than Yoohoo.

Turfdoctor1
11-18-2008, 01:57 PM
hey webman, i tried to send you a PM, but it is in your profile page.

goog
11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
What does that mean? You don't have access to the code?

There are many hosting services that are far better than Yoohoo.

Like what services? I need something reputable and that works in canada

Also I do not have access to the code, I can access and edit metatags(i was able to slip the code in for Google analytics there), but I believe that is it

Kiril
11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Like what services? I need something reputable and that works in canada

It doesn't matter where the hosting service is located, only that it is reliable, at a good price, and has the features you want, and most importantly is not going to disappear tomorrow.

Also I do not have access to the code, I can access and edit metatags(i was able to slip the code in for Google analytics there), but I believe that is it

Do you have an FTP account? The code has to be somewhere on your site unless the documents are being pulled from outside your root.

Isobel
11-23-2008, 07:30 PM
the first thing that hits me is the header. Your company is grounds Maint, but the picture is of a home's roof--which seems kind of strange.

other than those issues, I really like the clean lines of the website. =)