PDA

View Full Version : check out my winter rig for this year!!!!

KCfireman
11-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Not the exact one. The only difference between mine and this one is the paint scheme. But this is truck im gonna be driving during storms this winter!:):weightlifter:

P.Services
11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
wow man thats a awsome job!!

are they 4x4? it looks like it.

if you get some time and the chance could you take some pictures of the front suspension for me?

KCfireman
11-17-2008, 10:39 PM
wow man thats a awsome job!!

are they 4x4? it looks like it.

if you get some time and the chance could you take some pictures of the front suspension for me?Will do! Were expecting a substatial amount of snowfall this year in KS.

MJS
11-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Wow, that's a beast of a truck!. . . mpg? lol

KCfireman
11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Wow, that's a beast of a truck!. . . mpg? lolWith a fully loaded spreader i bet it will be getting 6 to 7 mpg!:dizzy:

KCfireman
11-18-2008, 03:39 PM
about the paint scheme, the truck cabs are white and the dump beds are black w/ the blades being orange.:)

punt66
11-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I plowed with both of my single axles as a sub for the town of west hartford for several years. The fun will wear off!!

KCfireman
11-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I plowed with both of my single axles as a sub for the town of west hartford for several years. The fun will wear off!!I bet! I dont know how the KDOT(Kansas DOT) does it. Plowing all that highway out in W. Kansas. They must work 12 hr shifts because i bet they get board doing it.

punt66
11-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I bet! I dont know how the KDOT(Kansas DOT) does it. Plowing all that highway out in W. Kansas. They must work 12 hr shifts because i bet they get board doing it.

well in CT its all unionized. So breaks are forced even for sub contracters. We were forced a 4 hour rest after an 8 hour shift. They encouraged us to bring sleeping bags and sleep on the floor in their offices! NOT ME. I drove home and slept in my own bed. After a few hours and a cup of joe out i went.

KCfireman
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
well in CT its all unionized. So breaks are forced even for sub contracters. We were forced a 4 hour rest after an 8 hour shift. They encouraged us to bring sleeping bags and sleep on the floor in their offices! NOT ME. I drove home and slept in my own bed. After a few hours and a cup of joe out i went.That sounds like a plan! Although i'll probably just stop the truck out in front of the fire station and let another guy jump in to do his time.

KCfireman
11-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I plowed with both of my single axles as a sub for the town of west hartford for several years. The fun will wear off!!You owned your trucks? These are city owned i'll be driving. They have single axle internationals and tandem axle internationals.:weightlifter:

all ferris
11-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't care if you're in a spaceship to plow snow. It gets old in a hurry. The only reason I keep dong it is due to the money.

Scag48
11-18-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm going to give graveyard shift a run this year for the first time in my life. I'll be pushing snow this winter, only it'll be in a $300K snowcat.

I used to plow a couple places close to home with a tractor when I was a kid. I think plowing is alright but think it would get a little boring after a couple months. I just don't know if I could do 12 hours in a truck, that sounds like a rough time. Just driving all day/night, more or less, would grind on me I think.

I have been assured by everyone in my grooming department that running the cats is far from boring. We dodge lift towers, trees, blunder around in the fog, bomb off 45-50 degree slopes, then climb right back up them. We work 4, 10's and start at 11 PM nightly, break at 3, daily maintenance at 8:30 every morning. I'm ready for the season to start.

Dirt Digger2
11-19-2008, 12:56 AM
i'll be doing the same thing in a tandem with a 12' plow this winter...

....do you have your CDL?

punt66
11-19-2008, 06:05 AM
You owned your trucks? These are city owned i'll be driving. They have single axle internationals and tandem axle internationals.:weightlifter:

yup, i had 2 single axles, 2 tri axles, 2 npr's, 1 20t tag, 1 15t tag, 1, 10t tag and 3 shovels, 2 backhoes, 2 skidsteers, and a dozer.

KCfireman
11-19-2008, 03:05 PM
yup, i had 2 single axles, 2 tri axles, 2 npr's, 1 20t tag, 1 15t tag, 1, 10t tag and 3 shovels, 2 backhoes, 2 skidsteers, and a dozer.I remember you saying about you being in the heavy equipment field before you messed up your back. I figured you worked for a excavating company, but dang, you had a lot of equipment. Were the plows only hooked up to the single axles?

punt66
11-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I remember you saying about you being in the heavy equipment field before you messed up your back. I figured you worked for a excavating company, but dang, you had a lot of equipment. Were the plows only hooked up to the single axles?

I plowed both single axles, 1 hoe with a pusher for a lot, 2 pickups, and 1 skidsteer. The triaxled hauled snow from lots but didnt plow. All for municipalities.

razor1
11-19-2008, 04:44 PM
KCfireman, do the fire dept. guys usually plow the roads?

ksss
11-19-2008, 05:31 PM

I love your quotes Razor. A lot of truth to both of them.

razor1
11-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks..........

KCfireman
11-19-2008, 09:35 PM
this is the first year were doing this.

razor1
11-19-2008, 09:51 PM
I only asked cuz I know they couldn't do that here. Way to many roads.

Dirt Digger2
11-21-2008, 02:19 AM
back on track.....i filled out my employment papers today for being the "on call" plow guy up here at school.....

here i come 1am shift....actually its snowing now....hope i dont get called up:rolleyes:

coopers
11-21-2008, 02:37 AM
I'm jealous everyone getting snow! haha, snowing about hour n' half east of me in the mountains..but not down here :( Digger, is the same job you were talking about for the winter or do you have another company you're plowing for as well?

Dirt Digger2
11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm jealous everyone getting snow! haha, snowing about hour n' half east of me in the mountains..but not down here :( Digger, is the same job you were talking about for the winter or do you have another company you're plowing for as well?

no i will be plowing with the township this winter...completely unrelated to any other job i have...when i go home for winter breaks (home is 3 hours from school) i work for the excavating company...then when i am at school i am on-call with the township

it snowed about 1 inch or so here last night...nothing really stuck to the roads but the grass is covered

SLC, LLC
11-21-2008, 12:42 PM
yup, i had 2 single axles, 2 tri axles, 2 npr's, 1 20t tag, 1 15t tag, 1, 10t tag and 3 shovels, 2 backhoes, 2 skidsteers, and a dozer.

punt66 - your sig states that you are a Solo operation. what did you do with all this equipment being a solo operator?

punt66
11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
punt66 - your sig states that you are a Solo operation. what did you do with all this equipment being a solo operator?

I owned/operated a construction company for 11 years before i got sick.

Scag48
11-21-2008, 01:20 PM

You know it buddy. 8" last night, maybe I'll be working by next week at least track packing. We'll see.

Dirt Digger2
11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
here you go cooper...these were taken about 5 minutes ago....maybe i'll be going out tonight

punt66
11-21-2008, 01:44 PM
oh yuck. I cant stand winter anymore. I need to move.

coopers
11-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh man digger, looks good! You have pics of your truck/plow set up? Does your excavation company get involved with snow removal at all or they too busy with excavation work to be doing that? Seems some companies that are in high snowfall areas resort to that in the winter because some jobs can't be done with 3 feet of snow on the ground. :)

Scag, yeah hopefully it continues to snow. This off and on stuff in the mountains sucks. We need some good solid winter weather to come in now.

coopers
11-21-2008, 03:16 PM
This is usually what it looks like here for our Winter. How long the snow stays is another story. It can stay a week, or be gone completely the next day. Luckily there's no way of knowing or predicting, so for instance; this years weather hasn't been super active but that doesn't mean s$#t will hit the fan by the end of this month or anytime within the next 4 months. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully we get good stuff.

We don't have too many people that plow snow in Western WA. To see a p/u truck with a plow is a very odd thing around here. Easter WA, yeah no big deal.

First two pics were from last year near my house, the last two were from two years ago closer to minimax's neck of the woods.

Dirt Digger2
11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
we do a little snow work...all they have is a 1 ton with a 9 foot plow, mostly roads in developments that haven't been turned over to the township yet

as far the township truck i will be driving, no i dont have a picture....they have so many

2 brand new 4x4 automatic internationals one with a wing and one without...a few newer 4x2 internationals with wings, also a 1987 international with only 35,000 miles on it (this is the one i drove when i went out there and applied...one of the nicest single axles i have run)

all the internationals are single axles with wings, they also have 2 F550's with wings, and apparently my baby will be their only 10-wheeler with a straight 12' blade and no wing...i have never run a wing plow so he said since i will only be on call they wont make me "learn"....he also said i wouldn't get to drive the brand new international w/o a wing because it is an automatic and i know how to drive a manual...they save the autos for their "drivers" that can't shift a real truck:hammerhead:

Scag48
11-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Coopers, that last pic is on I-5 north heading out of Burlington, right?

Forecast up in the hills for the next few days isn't looking like any decent amount of snow until maybe next week. I'm irritated with sitting around, the landscaping season ended 2 days ago and I'm already bored.

Gravel Rat
11-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Keep that white crap south of the boarder we don't need it here in the lower west corner of B.C. . A little bit of snow in Vancouver and it turns into a huge demolishion derby.

coopers
11-23-2008, 03:16 AM
Coopers, that last pic is on I-5 north heading out of Burlington, right?

Forecast up in the hills for the next few days isn't looking like any decent amount of snow until maybe next week. I'm irritated with sitting around, the landscaping season ended 2 days ago and I'm already bored.

Yes it is. I was on Highway 99 so I could drive slow and take pictures! Good eye! :drinkup:

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I really look forward to the winters up her in Wisconsin. Its invigorating to pull out of the drive at 3:30AM with machine in tow to knock out the contracts that I have before work starts. Not much moving except for the city and county trucks and other contractors. Deer season opened yesterday and I got mine about 10:30AM (9 pointer) so now I'll just hope the Packers make the playoffs and hope we get dumped on this winter.

ksss
11-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Deer season opened yesterday and I got mine about 10:30AM (9 pointer)

So is that a 4X5 buck in Western speak or did you run across a buck with 9 points on each side (if you did be sure to call Polk and Young or Boone and Crocket)? Sorry, I haven't had an opportunity to beat up on ASV lately I need to get my licks in where I can, just so you know I am still around.:laugh:

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 02:57 PM
So is that a 4X5 buck in Western speak or did you run across a buck with 9 points on each side (if you did be sure to call Polk and Young or Boone and Crocket)? Sorry, I haven't had an opportunity to beat up on ASV lately I need to get my licks in where I can, just so you know I am still around.:laugh:

I hear ya....we count both sides up here. I dream of a 9x9 as you would call it. The rack was decent...kind of knarly but its venison in the freezer. Our season started really late this year so we missed the peak of the rut. We usually open rifle season during the rut up here in Wisconsin two weeks later than our neighbors in MN. I'd love to hunt Muleys one of these days out West.

ksss
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
I hear ya....we count both sides up here. I dream of a 9x9 as you would call it. The rack was decent...kind of knarly but its venison in the freezer. Our season started really late this year so we missed the peak of the rut. We usually open rifle season during the rut up here in Wisconsin two weeks later than our neighbors in MN. I'd love to hunt Muleys one of these days out West.

Let me know, I can hook you up.

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Let me know, I can hook you up.

Just curious...do you hunt in Power Tan camo?:drinkup: That would be awesome if I could work it around the school schedule. Do you know when you bow season starts?

ksss
11-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Just curious...do you hunt in Power Tan camo?:drinkup: That would be awesome if I could work it around the school schedule. Do you know when you bow season starts?

Sept. As far as the camo, I tried it once but the fish cops have no sense of brand loyalty nor a sense of humor.:hammerhead:

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Sept. As far as the camo, I tried it once but the fish cops have no sense of brand loyalty nor a sense of humor.:hammerhead:

I can't speak for brand loyalty but I think our game wardens might have been in the same line as yours when they were handing out "sense of humor".

Junior M
11-23-2008, 08:15 PM
I can't speak for brand loyalty but I think our game wardens might have been in the same line as yours when they were handing out "sense of humor".
Our game wardens here have a great sense of humor, we got stopped on the way off of public ground one day and he stops us and wants see our licenses and crap like that, and he wanted to know if our shotguns were unloaded, my buddy that was driving said "H#ll no, its useless if it aint loaded," the officer bout fell down he was laughing so hard, lucky for us he only gave use one ticket instead of 3...

ksss
11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Our game wardens here have a great sense of humor, we got stopped on the way off of public ground one day and he stops us and wants see our licenses and crap like that, and he wanted to know if our shotguns were unloaded, my buddy that was driving said "H#ll no, its useless if it aint loaded," the officer bout fell down he was laughing so hard, lucky for us he only gave use one ticket instead of 3...

The best thing for you is he didn't give you a grade equivalent spelling test. Boy that would have been close, worse yet, what if it was a math test. You dodged a bullet there Jr.:laugh:

Digdeep
11-23-2008, 10:43 PM
The best thing for you is he didn't give you a grade equivalent spelling test. Boy that would have been close, worse yet, what if it was a math test. You dodged a bullet there Jr.:laugh:

:laugh: You're killing me!

Scag48
11-23-2008, 10:44 PM

ZING! :laugh:

Junior M
11-24-2008, 09:06 AM
I'd be screwed if it were math! I took hukkd on fonix, no werrees for me on the spellin part... :laugh: :laugh: