PDA

View Full Version : Handy resource for do it your self Search engine optimization SEO

tradeyouraccounts
11-18-2008, 12:38 AM
If you looking to do some do it yourself SEO this may help your website. We have been using this book and it’s a very useful resource if your wanting to do some SEO of your own “Get to the top on Google” and stay there. Do a search for it on Google and you’ll get a few results.

Do any of you do your own SEO and if so what have been your results?

WebMan
11-18-2008, 11:14 AM
I would just mention that such books might have a tip or 2 but since Google changes their algorithm at least twice a year by the time something is in print it's often out of date.

The best thing to do for Google is read their own tips on their site about how their search works, make a site map as they instruct optimized for Google and optimize an extra robots tag for Googlebot. They have got good enough now that even the good old "link trading" doesn't work much because they can tell if the two sites have anything in common (thus the "link farm" sites don't work anymore)

And yes, I do SEO all the time with good success but only for "better" searches...broad searches such as just "landscaping" are almost impossible to manipulate but more narrow searches like "landscaping in Milwaukee" are much easier.

As far as the broad searches for example (this wasn't landscaping but for the sake of example) I optimized a friend's site for terms for the service they provided like landscaping in their city/state... one day to my surprise under the broad term like landscaping they had jumped to number 3 page 1.
I looked to be sure nothing had been changed... then watched over the next 3 months as they slowly went back town to about 30 + or - for the broad term (where they had always been) and stayed on page one for the more specific terms the whole time...there were NO changes made to the site/code/tags/links/or anything during the time they inexplicably jumped up on the broad term.
Just Google for you. If I had just changed anything I might think I had found a "secrete and been recommending it to all my customers--but It would have been wrong--it was just a fluke.
I will also note that while they had a slight increase in traffic while they were on page one for the "broad" term it was marginal and "short term (meaning somebody clicked but when they saw they were a thousand miles away they left in less than 30 seconds) and they had no noticable increase in calls or business. The majority of trafic came from the same terms we had been using for over a year.