PDA

View Full Version : You know you are going to lay off people, so when do you tell?

Az Gardener
11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I was reading Sedges post about getting notice that his last day will be the 19th of Dec. I like to keep my guys informed about whats going on in the business but I have been burned in the past by tipping my hat.

The question for those who have been laid off in the past or are in the process now what is your attitude toward the company? Are you grateful they have given you some heads up so you can prepare or are you just pissed and want to screw the company... or somewhere in between?

Fvstringpicker
11-18-2008, 10:14 AM
What would you expect of them in the way of notice if they resign?

corey4671
11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I'll say this...I've had one factory close...first job I ever had. Left that day and had a new job the next day. Voluntarliy left that job a year and a half later for another factory job that last three months and they laid me off with a little notice. It was customary at this place and there was a list of senority. I lasted an extra week because I was far enough down the list. From there I went to my most recent job where I stayed nine years and finally got sick of the BS...went in on a Saturday morning and got my stuff and walked. I guess I've experienced all of it from every spectrum.

jcthorne
11-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I let them know on the front end. The best workers keep their jobs year round and the ones who don't will be laid off for at least 2 months out of the year. By the end of the year the ones who don't pull as much weight on the jobsite already know they need to be finding other work for the winter months.

Senority doesn't hold as much weight as production with me, but I will always keep the ones with the good driving records because that's getting hard to find around here.

TPendagast
11-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Tell the people about the lay off comming up (say two weeks) tell them how many people you need to keep on for winter (if any) and then ask for volunteers (some people in landscaping expect the layoff and want it, especiall if you have job attach unemployment in your state)

Maybe holiday travelling for some employees is an option, if they know they have a job come spring, and they can take that holiday time without loosing their job, they might be grateful for the time.

Also what abot rotating lay offs? What if you have 12 guys, lay off 8 guys for a week, then rotate the 4 guys who stay on, off on off on... so during the winter you keep 4 guys busy every week and the rest of the guys have 2 weeks off.

Something like that.

If you dump the whole crew now, and wait until spring, you will find youself with no labor come spring with no warning.

cod8825
11-21-2008, 09:56 AM
I own my own business but also work for another contractor in town as W-2 employee it works well as I do all of his applications as a subcontractor and am a lead on one of his crews. I know that every November after all the cleanups are done that I am done. There really is no notice. He explained that it was this way when I started for him three years ago and has been that way ever since. He is a very small operation though he only has three trucks. We all know its over and we will need to get a new job or some king of employment. I personally take the winter off and spend it with the family except for snow events. I run my own truck(1099) and that is my winter income.

Matt