PDA

View Full Version : "card" request for 2K

Mike M
11-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Okay, you know things are getting bad when you pull off a nice demo at an oceanfront community, work hard to fall into the customers so-called budget, scratch numbers down substituting copper for brass, etc., all the way to what seems like a glorified service call at $2,200.00, and then they ask if you take cards.

I have two more demo's this week, they are pre-qualified, but I feel like I am just working to pay for my advertising.

Curious how everyone else is doing with residential work and the scale of work per project lately. My area is hurting badly from housing & tourism. We have a big retirement population, but they are holding onto their money.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Mike, what do you mean by "taking cards"?

Mike M
11-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Visa. Mastercard. American Express.

Chris J
11-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I always give the client a choice. The given price is CC, but there is a discount for cash.
Most clients don't realize that there is a charge for doing business with cc companies.

Mike M
11-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Chris, what's the fastest/easiest way to take cc, paypal? AJ at FOLD was explaining the credit program with me (GE or Kichler?), but the client asked for cc.

Chris J
11-19-2008, 11:58 AM
My cc processing is through Costco, but I hear you can do it through Quickbooks as well. It takes about a week to set it up.

NightScenes
11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
We use Quickbooks for our cc transactions. I think these days you pretty much have to accept credit cards. A lot of my clients use them for the miles.

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
11-20-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm using John Deere credit. Because I buy Unique from them, they will finance the job with good terms. Last I checked, they had 6 months same as cash. My clients have had no problem quick qualifying on their website for $10k or more.

They cost us about the same as CC at 3% of total. John Deere credits right into bank account. Pretty nice. One issue, can't use JDC for initial customer deposit. That's ok with me though, because I like the customer to write a check when signing the contract. It shows commitment.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Check with your local trade associations etc for affinity and discount programs offered to members by credit card processors. Landscape Ontario has partnered with Chase Paymentech and offers members preferred processing fees and rates. These types of programs are pretty common.

I started taking Visa and MC this year with great sucess. Almost all of my service clients use their CC to pay, and about 25% of new installations too. It really improves cash flow and the time I save in chasing AR's more then pays for the % fee I pay for processing.

As far as offering consumer credit programs.... I am not a big fan. If you ain't got the dough-rae-me should you really be borrowing to install an outdoor lighting system? Seems pretty odd to me, but hey, if it works for closing the sale, and you are not at risk of loosing out any funds, then go for it.

NightScenes
11-22-2008, 03:01 PM
As James stated, some trade associations have relationships with credit card processing companies. The AOLP is one of those associations that do offer this service to it's members.

ChampionLS
11-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Go straight to your Financial Institution and inquire about accepting payments with credit cards. They'll probably set you up with merchant services. If you use paypal, or any other service, such as Quickbooks etc. they charge you a middle man fee.

Yes, you'll still pay a fee to use your bank, but it's not as much as the other companies.

I'm still set up for CC'S from my contracting business, and I pay $11.00 month service charge, 2.5% of the transaction and about $0.10 per item fee. (whether that's a depost, or credit)