PDA

View Full Version : The natives are getting restless

Gravel Rat
11-19-2008, 01:06 AM
The equipment operators and truck drivers in the area that have been laid off are getting restless. The reality check is sinking in they might not be going back to work for awhile maybe never :dizzy:

Some of these guys have never been laid off ever in their 30 years of running equipment. The panic is starting the household bills keep rolling in with no paychecks coming in.

Talking to some nail pounders I know they said its getting tough to find work.

Restaurant jobs are on the line its slow so employees are being laid off, grocery stores are next, people are cutting back on what they are spending.

Guys were making money off of scrap metal its gone from 290 dollars a ton to 15 dollars a ton :cry:

The good times and unlimited jobs and money has turned to praying you can keep your job or lucky to have a job :confused:

All I can say is thank god I still have a job so far.

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 01:36 AM
I swear you are just like a Swiss watch. Earlier today I was thinking it was about time we heard from Gravel Rat again.

AintNoFun
11-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I swear you are just like a Swiss watch. Earlier today I was thinking it was about time we heard from Gravel Rat again.

haha ditto.. but he left out the part where guys are losing their machines, that the miners and loggers have no work either and the real estate market is in the crapper.....

Bleed Green
11-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Grocery store workers will always have a job, people have to eat they can not do without that.

qps
11-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Glad you like your 297C, after over a year of owning mine I have no regrets, but it is one huge machine and a smaller one would be nice at times, the controls are the best I've ever used in a loader...I was looking at your track pics and was thinking it would be a blast to run my Honda pilots on them...but the drive is to far:laugh:

Gravel Rat
11-19-2008, 09:56 PM
The realestate is dead there hasn't been much moving for over 6 months. I can see some realtors changing careers they have to be living off of their piggy bank by now. The grocery store is cutting back on employees because people have cut back on buying groceries. Restaurants are laying off staff not bringing in enough money to pay them.

Right now one of the forestry contractors has 5 million plus dollars worth of equipment sitting no work. Never had to lay off employees in the 35 years in business.

When you have 40 guys in one company not working with a monthly payroll of 30 grand a month. The company equipment payments must exceed 50 grand a month. Have 5 35 ton excavators sitting doing nothing that gets expensive I know 2 of them are 2008 machines the rest are 2006-2007 then you have ADTs sitting, log loaders and logging trucks not working either.

Even Lafarge North America is telling its divisions that employees will be laid off and cut the expenses back.

Would you like to be a equipment operator go from making 280 to 336 dollars a day to not making any money. To loose 5900 to 7000 dollars a month in wages hurts like h*ll in comparison I make 3400 a month.

For the excavation contractors the slow down might be the last nail in the coffin for some of these guys. Can't run a business when more money goes out than comes in. The only way your going to get a job is work the cheaper than the competition. It hasn't gotten to vandalizing the competitions equipment yet it may get to that. It may get to the point where the contractors will fold the company and take a loss to get out of the business.

What are you supposed to do when there is 1 job and 10 contractors after that 1 job. The baby boomers have gotten themselves into trouble they have got so deep into personal debt. They have bought houses that were way way over priced. They can't sell them, they couldn't even get half of what they are paid for. When your dropping 1 million for a house that has devalued to half in 6 months.

Like I said I have a job I'am lucky to have a job.

RockSet N' Grade
11-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Didn't read it, don't think I want to.......but my ouiji board tells me it is the s.o.s. just another day from chicken little......

Junior M
11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I started to read pebble mouse's latest post but once I read "the real estate," I stopped, there's no point anymore...

CAT powered
11-19-2008, 10:20 PM
So I ended up buying a tub grinder at last week's sale. Along with umpteen trailers and an Ingersoll-Rand light plant.

It's a WHO grinder with a 450 horsepower CAT engine. I can tell it's been working recently because every moving part is still shiny instead of rusted up. I also bought its exact twin that obviously hasn't run for a while so I have a donor machine for any parts. The second grinder cost me a grand total of 5,000 dollars.

I'm hoping to have them hauled back to my yard by the end of the month. I'm getting them moved by a professional hauler because they are overwidth.

Junior M
11-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Nice CAT, have to get some pics of them up here, what are you loading them with, once you get them up and running? What kind of trailers and how many did you buy?

CAT powered
11-19-2008, 10:26 PM
I bought 3 walking floor trailers to add to my fleet. As well as 4 flat deck trailers. None are new, but they are roadworthy.

My camera broke a while ago so I can't take good pictures. It still works, but the screen is black when it's in picture taking mode. The screen works when it's displaying all the pictures you've taken though. I'm just going to replace it.

I'm going to start out loading them with my 490E, but I intend to purchase a 790E and put a grapple and/or shear on it. I already own a LaBounty shear that I picked up for a song and I'll get a grapple for it as well.

Junior M
11-19-2008, 10:27 PM
This is for that wood burning job right? So your just grinding crap wood and brush and the hauling it there and their burning it for whatever right? Sorry, I cant quite remember all the details..

CAT powered
11-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Yea. Basically.

Right now I'm hauling about 75 yards of unground pallet wood in to my site. I unload it and push it onto a stockpile with that dozer that is my avatar. Once I get the grinder up and running I'll have my guy (I call him dozerboy) running it. He's pretty good on the equipment, but he really sucks at driving. You'd get along with him, Junior. He's from Georgia. Or Jawja as he'd say it.

Junior M
11-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I get along with everybody, except KSSS ;) :laugh: and GR (sometimes)

CAT powered
11-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Really... I'll let you and GR get on with your buddy-buddy chats then.

A few other things I picked up were a hydraulic breaker for my skid as well as a concrete bucket.

The concrete bucket is basically just a bucket someone modified so there's a plate on the bottom part of the bucket sticking out
with two pieces angling toward the center making the sides with a cutout in the center for pouring.

Junior M
11-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Really... I'll let you and GR get on with your buddy-buddy chats then.

A few other things I picked up were a hydraulic breaker for my skid as well as a concrete bucket.

The concrete bucket is basically just a bucket someone modified so there's a plate on the bottom part of the bucket sticking out
with two pieces angling toward the center making the sides with a cutout in the center for pouring.
Crap I forgot about him, dangit well I dont know, I can get along with him sometimes if he isnt whining about something...

:laugh: you went ahead and told me what it was, :laugh: thanks!

(I edited my post earlier about getting along with everybody)

cddva
11-19-2008, 11:02 PM
We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, the Gravel Rat Report, on the state of the economy...................where today we find GR thankful to have his job. Tune in next week when he complains about his job.

ksss
11-19-2008, 11:09 PM
We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, the Gravel Rat Report, on the state of the economy...................where today we find GR thankful to have his job. Tune in next week when he complains about his job.

Dam thats funny.:laugh:

Gravel Rat
11-19-2008, 11:58 PM
I'am stuck with the job I have till the economy picks back up another 10 years from now.

Look at it this way if your in the construction industry get used to be un-employeed. Jobs as a equipment operator or a dump truck driver will be slim to non existant well past 2009.

If there is no realestate sales no construction. When the area depends on resource based jobs that are going away there is nothing left.

You can try get a job in the grocery store for 12 dollars per hour as a stock boy.

Atleast I'am not a person used to making 5 grand a month, I don't have a 2 grand a month mortage payment, paying on a 50,000 dollar P/U truck and 2 kids to feed. I'am definatly glad I'am not a contractor with excavators that are not making any money.

Man it will be funny when the USA goes into a recession. Heard on the news another company in Washington state laid off 3000 workers. When the auto manufactures finally go broke it will hurt the US economy even more. How many jobs lost in the USA so far is it over 100,000 :laugh:

CAT powered
11-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Oh boy. I might have to lay me off!
Or maybe not since I'm looking for a part time truck driver. I'm trying to re-hire a buy that worked for me in the 80s that drives for FedEx now. He says he's interested in doing it so now I just have to get another truck to help yank these trailers around.

I'm looking at a 2000 model year Peterbilt 379. It's got a 435 horse CAT in it coupled with a 10 speed trans. Tandem rears with a wet line. Asking price is $27,000.

I haven't spoken with the owner yet. Mainly because I don't have $27,000 sitting around right now, but hopefully I can make something happen sooner rather than later.

cddva
11-20-2008, 12:24 AM
GR you really disappoint me. I thought you were a man in the know when it came to the US economy (which is driving the current global economy). Here's an update; the recession is already here. I wouldn't laugh too hard though. You may find your government job isn't as safe as you think it is.

Gravel Rat
11-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Oh I know that I got a memo from the boss already.

No job is safe anymore. I just hate seeing everything going to H*ll in a Handbasket. What really made me shake my head was listening to the news and hearing Big Foot campers is going out of buisness after 30 years. They constructed the best slide in camper in North America. There goes 150 jobs gone. Then the scrap metal dealers in B.C. are laying off employees. The price of scrap metal has dropped so bad because China isn't buying.

What I hate the most is seeing the younger generation with forestry jobs being laid off.

RockSet N' Grade
11-20-2008, 08:55 AM
What I hate most is those who are on the dole and do nothing but complain about the problem vs. being proactive and trying to be part of the solution.......

Gravel Rat
11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I'am not on any un-employment insurance or welfare I never collected that in my life. If you do get laid off it takes 6 weeks before you get a un-employment insurance check. Most people are living pay check to paycheck.

bobcat_ron
11-20-2008, 09:42 PM
**sigh**

**yawn**

Gravel Rat
11-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Well more job losses in the gravel mine because of the massive slow down in supply. Sales went from 120,000 metric ton per week to 50,000 metric ton a week that is a 154,322 US ton drop in sales.

Talking to a friend today I used to work with he is worried about the slow down he said its really dropping off in Vancouver. He figures worse is yet to come. He works in the construction industry in Vancouver.

A woman I work with is panicking because she is running out of money because the gov't isn't giving her any hours. The other jobs (gardening,painting and house maintenance) she does the people don't have the money. She used to call me a pesimist but she now sees it that its getting worse. She is more doom and gloom than I'am :laugh:

wellbuilt
11-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Hay GR don't worry when the world comes to a end guys like me will be eating guys like you , you wont need a job .

Gravel Rat
11-22-2008, 03:56 PM
The whole world is in a credit crunch its like everybody went to h*ll in a hand basket.

All I can say now is I hope my job doesn't get cut back.

AintNoFun
11-22-2008, 06:16 PM
All I can say now is I hope my job doesn't get cut back.

could you imagine the posts well get then!

Lazer_Z
11-22-2008, 06:30 PM
could you imagine the posts well get then!That's a good one :laugh: :laugh:

JDSKIDSTEER
11-22-2008, 11:17 PM
I started to read pebble mouse's latest post but once I read "the real estate," I stopped, there's no point anymore...

Me too........I started to feel the way he does about 6 weeks ago, but since then have sold 11 machines and several attachments, and actually made a fair profit. I told someone that I was not going to participate in any recession and started going in at 4 am and doing paper work so I would have time to work what little deals are out there. The competition is crying. Not bragging, just thankfully celebrating.

Sunscaper
11-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I think life in divided into the 90 10 rule. G.R. obviously follows the 90. G.R. we are not blind to the problems here nor are we ignoring them. However sometimes in life, like now a problem arises and you can either become a part of it or part of the solution. You will never amount to anything at the way you're approaching lifes obstacles. No government will ever make you successful only you will. Frankly, I respect your right to post here but morally you should not even be allowed to. The guys posting here are business owners not government employees. Those that arent either have been or have aspirations of becoming one. Get with the program and quit living in 1955. BTW all the things you are describing have been going on in florida for the past 3 years and in pennsylvania for the past 30. 1955 called and they want their complaints back!

Gravel Rat
11-23-2008, 04:42 AM
The economy in the area probably won't be improving much untill 2010. Right now there is more excavation contractors than there is work. I estimate there is over 50 excavators too many in the area. Everybody and their dog has a excavator especially mini excavators.

Like I have said homeowners have bought their own excavators just to play with. Maybe use it couple times a year to putter around the yard with it.

A person can't even keep track of who is in the excavation business there is so many new guys started their own companies I don't know who in the h*ll they are. Mini excavating isn't a niche market anymore like it was 5 years ago. Say 5 years ago there was 2 contractors with minis now their is 10. The gravel truck population exploded there is tripple maybe quaddruple the trucks there was 5 years ago. Guess what 90% of the trucks are parked no work for them.

Too many people jumped on the bandwagon so now is so flooded with machines and people looking for jobs for the machines. Even contractors that started back in 1970s is finding it extremely tough to get work. A good reputation and a good name isn't getting them work. It used to be easy pickings for those guys they got the work.

What is happening now is like stretching a rubber band repeatedly its going to snap. All I have been hearing is its getting a little ugly. It will be really interesting who is going to survive and who is going to loose everything they own and be bankrupt.

I was hoping to see it turn into east indian style with smashing each others windows in their equipment with bricks. Doing some vandalizing like slashing tires and dumping sugar into the fuel. Under cutting each other till they work for nothing just to drive the competition broke.

Like the equipment repo man told my dad couple months ago there is alot of contractors in the area that are on the list that are way behind on payments.

I can sit back and watch the excavation contractors picked off one by one. I doubt some of these guys will survive till 2009.

Glad I have a job, can't say that for the guys in construction who might be un-employed for the next 5-10 years :laugh:

The last down turn lasted 10 years before anything really improved.

Junior M
11-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Me too........I started to feel the way he does about 6 weeks ago, but since then have sold 11 machines and several attachments, and actually made a fair profit. I told someone that I was not going to participate in any recession and started going in at 4 am and doing paper work so I would have time to work what little deals are out there. The competition is crying. Not bragging, just thankfully celebrating.
I started to feel that way too, until we got on with a contractor who was buying houses that other contractors were letting go back, and we're basically finishing them. We're doin the rest of the wiring, hopefully some grading (cause the contractor has no idea on how to grade), running the water service and electric service. and this guy just landed a huge apartment complex, and a bunch of houses on the army base that need gutted and refurbished up to current codes. and we weren't even done with the last house when he had 2 more houses for us..

YellowDogSVC
11-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I just read that American contractors are doing the road work prior to the 2010 Olympics? I also read that almost no American contractors from Washington are working in the Vancouver area to take advantage of the billions of dollars of infrastructure improvements. Who's doing the work, then? The article I read said there is a lot of projects going on in BC. I realize BC is big but there has to be some work??

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I just read that American contractors are doing the road work prior to the 2010 Olympics? I also read that almost no American contractors from Washington are working in the Vancouver area to take advantage of the billions of dollars of infrastructure improvements. Who's doing the work, then? The article I read said there is a lot of projects going on in BC. I realize BC is big but there has to be some work??

There's 3 or 4 major Hydro-Electric projects going on, all Kiewet's line of work, Harrison, Toba are just some of the places, it's the real big projects that still keep BC's economy going.

That and BC Bud, mmm, mmmm, BC Bud. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Smoking/peace-and-love-033.gif

RockSet N' Grade
11-23-2008, 09:25 PM
I noticed something which I think is significant. The big pits owned by Parson's and Granite Construction are ramping up their pit excavation and stockpiling roadbase, 1" minus gravel, and structural fill in larger piles than I have seen in 14 years. I mean, these guys are creating mountains of road building materials..........do you think they have an inside track as to what is going to happen next? Me thinks so.......

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I noticed something which I think is significant. The big pits owned by Parson's and Granite Construction are ramping up their pit excavation and stockpiling roadbase, 1" minus gravel, and structural fill in larger piles than I have seen in 14 years. I mean, these guys are creating mountains of road building materials..........do you think they have an inside track as to what is going to happen next? Me thinks so.......

Building that stupid highway to Mexico.

RockSet N' Grade
11-23-2008, 09:30 PM
The market that my buddy and I are going to focus on is UDOT/state/city sidewalk removal and replacement. In the process of bonding our new little adventure and doing the paperwork. I heard by a little birdie, there are contracts ready to be put out totaling in the millions...........in chunks of $10-$15k and up. Perfect for me and the equipment we have......hit and git stuff is what we are set up for.....

Junior M
11-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I have a feeling things are going to pick back up, maybe not quick, but I have a feeling it will once Obama gets inaugurated and everybody just kinda forgets who is president and goes on with there lives..

It has picked up a little here, but the house we're working on is selling for $33,000 under what it was appraised at, but atleast their selling..

RockSet N' Grade
11-23-2008, 09:32 PM
BobCat........probably start south and head directly to the gateway of the universe, Rigby Idaho and stop there........no reason to go any farther :)

bobcat_ron
11-23-2008, 09:45 PM
BobCat........probably start south and head directly to the gateway of the universe, Rigby Idaho and stop there........no reason to go any farther :)

Gonna go git sum Ida-Hoes.

Scag48
11-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Washington just passed the mass transit plan which is a huge milestone. It's a 15 year plan, it'll be done in 2023, I think estimates are looking at $17.8 billion for that project. Burden to taxpayers is about $70 per year per taxpayer for the average income, which was calculated at right around $60K here in the Seattle area I believe it was.

This project will put a lot of my union brothers to work. Sound Transit loves union labor and we have proved in the past that we are the most economical option when it comes to getting the work done, believe it or not. When it comes to heavy highway and infrastructure, it's tough to beat our resources here in WA.

I think the country as a whole will be seeing large infrastructure improvements, more or less an economic stimulus plan. Problem is, that doesn't help anyone in the short-term. Projects need a funding source first, then they need to be drawn out. I'm waiting for superfund jobs to start firing up. The greenies have been studying that crap for years, know what needs to get done, and the money is available. There's an abandoned copper mine 40 miles up the lake back home, operated from 1938 to 1957. It was the largest copper mine in the US in its days of operation. There's talk that there will be a superfund cleanup effort made at the site and projected numbers are fairly staggering, I think it was $200 million or somewhere around there.

ksss
11-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Gonna go git sum Ida-Hoes.

Excuse me while I whip out my................................roladex.:cool2:

bobcatuser
11-24-2008, 03:25 AM

I've been to Boise Idaho. The Shilo Inn and Denny's was OK, but it's still a long day to get to Vegas from there.:laugh:

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Talking to one of the guys I know in the mines and he said the one mine is laying off another 7 guys. The gravel sales to the USA isn't happening especially for California which is about 1.5 million tons per year from one mine.

Lafarge sends about 1-2 million ton of gravel to the Seattle. Lafarge is considering shutting the mines down for a month or two because the demand for material isn't there.

Working in the gravel mines was a 365 a year job it isn't the case anymore big layoffs never have happened before. No sales no work for the employees.

GradeMan
11-24-2008, 05:56 AM
The sky is falling Gravel rat

Junior M
11-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Excuse me while I whip out my................................roladex.:cool2:
They have these things called cellular phones now :laugh:

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Talking to one of the guys I know in the mines and he said the one mine is laying off another 7 guys. The gravel sales to the USA isn't happening especially for California which is about 1.5 million tons per year from one mine.

Lafarge sends about 1-2 million ton of gravel to the Seattle. Lafarge is considering shutting the mines down for a month or two because the demand for material isn't there.

Working in the gravel mines was a 365 a year job it isn't the case anymore big layoffs never have happened before. No sales no work for the employees.

There's a Native Indian owned and run gavel operation on one of the many islands around Vancouver Island that sends all of it's sand to California, our sand is preemo stuff, Cali's sand is too fine to be used for concrete.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 02:37 PM
California was buying the most gravel but now that the sales dropped off to the USA. So now you have two resource based jobs on the job loss list. Forestry slow down with guys laid off now you have gravel mines cutting back more layoffs. There are people that have worked in the gravel mines for over 30 years.

Laugh all you want if you think the B.C. economy is doing good why is people loosing their jobs. Real nice you loose your job a month before Christmas.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Thing about job loss is that if you're worth your salt, just go get another. I got laid off in October, finished the season running a crew for my dad, got hired to run a snowcat and since then I've been offered 2 more jobs that I declined because I already had something going on.

Gravel Rat
11-24-2008, 03:28 PM
The thing is there is no other jobs.

Guys that make 25-30 dollars per hour are used to making that and it hurts when you have bills to pay with no money coming in. You can't even get a job in the grocery stores because they can't afford to hire anymore people. Restaurants are laying people off because the lack of work. Construction jobs are slowing down the nail pounders are scrambling to find the next house to build. Building contractors right now are dragging out projects to keep working. Landscaping is dead not because of weather its because people can't afford it. Landscaping here works 365 days a year.

It doesn't matter how much experience you have as a excavator operator if there is no work for you there is no work. There is guys with 25 years of heavy equipment operating laid off no work for them.

The private power projects happening in B.C. is creating some jobs. They are all remote camp jobs you leave home and never see home for 2-3 weeks at a time. If you have any drinking problems its not a place for you the camps are alcohol free. Get caught with booze your fired. If you smoke better buy a months worth of cigarettes because its a plane ride away from a store. You eat,work and sleep working 12 hours a day. You better like the people you work with because you live with them there is no place to hide. Now you have another scare ride the plane and it might not get you home.

The one Kiewit project you have 300 guys all living in one floating barge with bunk houses. The only females you see is the kitchen staff. The other camps there is 150 guys living in. Like to watch TV or use internet not going to happen. The only benefit is you eat good they feed you well in these camps but otherwise you have no life.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I'd get on with Kiewit on the Sea to Sky. Think about all the money you'd save not paying for rent or food, not being able to drive anywhere, just work and make cash.

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 04:34 PM
The Sea to Sky is almost finished, so they are now up country on highway 93, until the mountain nearly slid off the planet like that a few weeks back.

mrusk
11-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd get on with Kiewit on the Sea to Sky. Think about all the money you'd save not paying for rent or food, not being able to drive anywhere, just work and make cash.

I cant wait to here GR response for why he doesnt want to join the kiewit job.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Speaking of job opportunities, dispatch just called me for another job, that's the second one in a week. If I didn't already sign up to work this winter, I'd be all over it. The current snow situation is making it tempting to take another gig, but I know I'd regret blowing off the grooming job. To only work 4 days a week, ski the other 3, and have a winter gig lined out every year is too good of a deal walk away from. So I think I'm going to stay put with my decision. I'll go to work, it's just a matter of time, but I've been sitting for 4 days now and I'm bored already.

iron peddler
11-24-2008, 06:27 PM
well it sounds like you have no life or future GR, so go get fed and service your self with Kewitt...sounds like a win/win for you.

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I cant wait to here GR response for why he doesnt want to join the kiewit job.

There's too much man-on-man-on-dog-on goat sex in the camps for GR. :laugh:

Gravel Rat
11-25-2008, 04:48 AM
I wouldn't work for Kiewit because they are so miss managed. There is more un-experienced managers at the power project they are power tripping all the time. Lots of fighting and arguing. I don't know how many operators they went through so far. Lots of stupid rules you have to follow like when riding in the P/U truck you MUST wear your hard hat and vest if not your fired.

They fired operators for scratching the paint on the excavators. You cause some damage to a excavator your gone.

Equipment operators are at the camp because they need a job and are pretty well putting up with the B.S.

Kiewit has no experience with logging so they brought in a contractor to log and road building. The contractors were so glad to get the project finished and get away from Kiewit.

Mis-management and over managed with too many chiefs and not enough indians.

The biggest problem is this is the first project I think Kiewit has ever had on a remote section of coast on B.C. . The only way to Toba inlet is by boat or by plane you are not driving there. Its a 1.5-2 hour boat ride from the nearest paved road.

Here is some links to pictures I found

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/564663350EweymW

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/564882132tUtPgv?start=0

GradeMan
11-25-2008, 06:54 AM
i think the real reason you wouldn't work for them is that you would have to leave your parents basement, Come on GR take the pluge and get your a@#
to work

AintNoFun
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
kiewit is in the top ten of the largest contractors in north america if not the world, i highly doubt they stay profitable and grow by being mis managed.. i agree that hardhat and vest is a tough one, how on earth can people handle that. thats in humane, what a joke... beats unemployment....

I wouldn't work for Kiewit because they are so miss managed. There is more un-experienced managers at the power project they are power tripping all the time. Lots of fighting and arguing. I don't know how many operators they went through so far. Lots of stupid rules you have to follow like when riding in the P/U truck you MUST wear your hard hat and vest if not your fired.

They fired operators for scratching the paint on the excavators. You cause some damage to a excavator your gone.

Equipment operators are at the camp because they need a job and are pretty well putting up with the B.S.

Kiewit has no experience with logging so they brought in a contractor to log and road building. The contractors were so glad to get the project finished and get away from Kiewit.

The biggest problem is this is the first project I think Kiewit has ever had on a remote section of coast on B.C. . The only way to Toba inlet is by boat or by plane you are not driving there. Its a 1.5-2 hour boat ride from the nearest paved road.

JDSKIDSTEER
11-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Man, imagine having to do what they say to get a pay check. That would suck. I would rather wait for a government hand out or starve.

2109 Stang
11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey GR, I thought you were enthusiastic that if obama became elected he had the solution to all the problems in the world ,including Canada ,so I don't understand why you are still as pessimist as ever ,according to you and 52% of the Americans the problems are going away pretty soon ,so hang on it's only a few month away when he picks up the magic wand and overnight you are waking up to a much better world ,a lot of you got your witch in this election so stop complaining and lay back ,meanwhile we the hard working Americans are going to work even harder so there would be enough wealth to be spread in the next 4 years ,I've always heard that there's no one more creative the Americans when times are tough, and that's a big truth.Follow the leader.

DBL
11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
you know gr if you want to come down to the states youd be the perfect candidate for our noew presidents economics positions

Gravel Rat
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
It doesn't help things now the CND gov't says Canada is in a recession. Then you have people getting laid off and people are strapped for cash that is just where I live. Winter will be rough for some people.

Some people have said its worse than the 80s with more personal debt.

I'am not a excavation contractor that is on the verge of loosing everything that is stress full. You can hear a pin drop in the area its so quiet and its not the weather preventing work its the big lack of money nobody is spending it or don't have any to spend. No house sales so people are taking their houses off the market no point in trying to sell when no-one is buying.

As for the private power projects the Kewit project should be done next year if they don't have anymore screw ups. They had 5 of their employees die in a plane crash which isn't good news the 6th employee survived but has to have surgery to fix the burns. Definately a sad day for the famillies that lost their relatives.

The other power projects are being constructed by Canadian companies and I haven't heard any problems from them. I know they haven't gone through the employees like Kiewit.

Here is some comments about Kiewit

www.ratemyemployer.ca/employer/employer.aspx?empID=1977&l=en

Wait and see what happens in 2009 thats all a person can do. Everbody should will be broke by then.

If I didn't have the job I have now I would be broke. My general contracting work went down the toilet. Any construction waste hauling jobs I haven't had in 2 years. Homeowners don't want to pay a contractor to remove the debris from their new home trying to save 500-1000 dollars. The lumber hauling I did the little sawmills don't have any wood for me to haul that used to be a fairly steady job delivering lumber.

I have had 1 estate sale clean up in longer than I can remember I used to get most of those jobs. Homeowners again trying to save money doing it themselves. Been hauling for 13 years always had jobs but now not a thing. I got completely out of the landscaping I couldn't take the peoples sob story that they figured I was charging too much. People figure you should cut lawns for free well they can stuff it.

Ya a litte PO'ed the truck isn't making any money but thats the way it goes. Atleast I don't have a 140,000 dollar dump truck not making any money or a 160,000 dollar excavator sitting.

I'am working and I'am not laid off till further notice like quite a few people. I don't have a house payment and kids to feed pretty hard to do when your savings runs out and un-employment insurance pays very little. A 1800-2000 grand a month house payment can't be even paid with un-employment check. Even paying 1200-1500 a month rent will be tough.

When nobody has any extra money to spend restaurants suffer people can't afford to eat at restaurants. Grocery stores suffer because people buy the bare minimum. Already see it at restaurants even at lunch time.

Untill the B.C. gov't starts doing something the B.C. economy is going to colasp. The first thing is quit taxing the crap out of already broke people.

2109 Stang
11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Untill the B.C. gov't starts doing something the B.C. economy is going to colasp. The first thing is quit taxing the crap out of already broke people.
See this I like , Keep thinking more and more like this and in a few years you will get it ,less tax ,more money in my pocket ,more freedom to expend on what ever I want = healthy economy .I hope you know what you say in that last sentence and mean it .

2109 Stang
11-25-2008, 10:23 PM
double post

Gravel Rat
11-27-2008, 09:03 PM
The axe is falling on the gravel mine jobs. The guys with famillies are going to be hurting. Disgusting to see good paying jobs go down the drain but when you have a massive slow down in the construction the mines have no sales.

Then I have heard that the grocery stores are loosing money from the lack of sales. Stuff like fresh produce and other stuff that goes bad has to be chucked. People are cutting back on buying groceries and the stores have had to throw out thousands of dollars worth of stock.

Had a cashier asked me if I was working I'am on days off she said well atleast your not laid off. If things get slower the employees at the stores will be laid off.

Not much money floating around with so many people laid off or only getting a couple days a week work. Some of my brothers friends are laid off don't even know if they will have a job next year.

Junior M
11-27-2008, 09:10 PM
The axe is falling on the gravel mine jobs. The guys with famillies are going to be hurting. Disgusting to see good paying jobs go down the drain but when you have a massive slow down in the construction the mines have no sales.

Then I have heard that the grocery stores are loosing money from the lack of sales. Stuff like fresh produce and other stuff that goes bad has to be chucked. People are cutting back on buying groceries and the stores have had to throw out thousands of dollars worth of stock.

Had a cashier asked me if I was working I'am on days off she said well atleast your not laid off. If things get slower the employees at the stores will be laid off.

Not much money floating around with so many people laid off or only getting a couple days a week work. Some of my brothers friends are laid off don't even know if they will have a job next year.
Dude, really, you need to get out off whatever town your in, it has never got that bad here, and our economy in this state was down the drain 2 years prior to any other state, because we arent an area with alot of money.. But seriously, you are a really negative guy, so what things will change eventually, they will have to, and look at the positives in life and everything around you will slowly get better, but you have to pay attention to the good things around you to notice them, its the same way with the negatives..

Gravel Rat
11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
The whole B.C. Province is ****** its just taking its time to move around the province. Job loss is happening in most places. When you have employeers that haven't lay off employees ever it is just the sign things are not good.

I'am more positive than most people atleast I have a job its pretty doom and gloom especially with people that have never been un-employeed.

I guess when the welfare line stretches a mile down the road the stupid gov't might realize there is a problem.

Our premier Gordon stupid idiot Campbell doesn't want to do anything.

Where do you move to when there isn't any steady jobs.

I have a job but many people won't if the trend continues. House forclosures might start when people can't afford the mortage payments. Right now people are living off their savings once that dries up then desparation starts.

Glad I didn't quit and go to work in the mines I would be one of the ones laid off. The mines had unlimited work last year.

I also heard the lumber yards are laying off staff no work because the lumber sales have dropped off to nothing because house construction is almost non-existant.

Sunscaper
11-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Soon you'll be living in a van.....CIRCA DE LA RIO!!!