PDA

View Full Version : Access Problem

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 01:01 AM
I store my Cat and the laser grader in a 20ft cargo container. The problem is, how do I get up and over the tracks to get to the cab. It is not easy, those tracks are 3ft tall and it is even harder to get back down when leaving. There is no where to get a step up/down to/from the top of the tracks

Also there is an inside grease fitting up high that is difficult to get to when greasing the Cat.

mow king
11-19-2008, 01:06 AM
back the cat into the trailer.

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Here are some pictures of my solution, I used the existing threaded bolt holes that are used for counter weights, plus I drilled an extra one at the bottom, that was some hard to drill Cat metal, let me tell you:

GradeMan
11-19-2008, 04:42 AM
She still looks new,

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 08:32 AM
She still looks new,I have put 50 hours on her so far. She will always look new because I'm the only one that uses it and I'm not using it in any conditions that would cause damage it to, plus I store it inside, out of the sun. I already had my laborer detail it after the last time I washed it.

This one is a keeper!

CarterKraft
11-19-2008, 08:36 AM
that is some nice fab work.

always like to see someones pride in there machine.

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks.

It was a two day project. First, I had to make a mock-up out of 1/4" wood. Then I took it down to the metal guy and he cut and welded all the parts together (I got lucky, he did it the same day). Then I drilled the mounting holes and fit it in place. Next was all the prep work (grinding and sanding) to make it look pretty before priming and painting it.

Lots of running around..........bolts/washers at the farm/home store, primer at Home Depot, paint at the Cat dealer, grip tape at the boat shop, a trip back to the welder for some fine tuning.

I like building things (that's what I am) and I had fun doing this project, but metal work sure is a dirty job, I could never do it for a living.

Bleed Green
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Couldn't you back the loader into the trailer so you could have easier access to it?

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 10:16 AM
back the cat into the trailer.

Couldn't you back the loader into the trailer so you could have easier access to it?

I tried it once, it is a lot easier to back out than it is to back in. There is not much room to spare on each side, it is tight. Also, the laser grader is stored in the front of the container and there is just enough room for the both of them. If I tried to back in I would risk running into it and damaging both units.

Besides, the steps are very helpful when greasing and steam cleaning the Cat now.

E.B
11-19-2008, 10:30 AM
keep the pics comin...

bobcat_ron
11-19-2008, 11:15 AM
I see you made the infamous modification to the side of the ROPS again, that looks nice!

I'm starting to think Cat skid steer owners are just a bit smarter than the rest, we come up with better gizmo's.

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Good catch, I purposely didn't show a full side shot, I wanted to see who would catch that first. BC_RON IS THE WINNER!

The visibility is so much better now and it make the inside of the cab seem twice the size.

I'll get a good picture later.

Let the flaming begin.:)

ksss
11-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I see you made the infamous modification to the side of the ROPS again, that looks nice!

I'm starting to think Cat skid steer owners are just a bit smarter than the rest, we come up with better gizmo's.

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Junior M
11-19-2008, 01:27 PM
"Necessity is the mother of invention."
Thank you Confusious (<spelling?) :laugh:

bobcat_ron
11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
And the Sea Can gave me a bright idea for storage, I can get myself a 24 footer and put the attachments on a rack 3 high, and still have some room for the skid with another attachment on the front inside.

Scag48
11-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm still not sure about the side of the ROPS without the screens. I still think they need to be there, if not to add rigidity to the upper structure in the event of a rolloever, but for the simple fact that if you did have an oopsie daisy over the side you'd have better chances of staying in the machine and keeping foreign objects out.

I mean seriously, with those screens off, you definately have no excuse to not be able to back that thing in the can. :laugh: The visibility is substantially better, I won't aruge that, it should be a cakewalk to back that thing in there. I like the steps, though, hopefully they don't get torn off. I know that I would lose those in about 2 weeks at the most.

KCfireman
11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
If you own the container, take a cutting torch to the side and cut out a rectangle and install a metal door.

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 05:49 PM
And the Sea Can gave me a bright idea for storage, I can get myself a 24 footer and put the attachments on a rack 3 high, and still have some room for the skid with another attachment on the front inside.

Sounds like a good idea.

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 05:52 PM
As promised.

The side windows come out in seconds and with the windows out I have complete access to the inside of the cab for a deep cleaning or working in the cab without having to be a contortionist.

all ferris
11-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Maybe it's been discussed before but what is your "real" job that you can afford a machine that nice and not have to put it to work to pay for it?

I'm just a bit jealous.

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Actually, I make just enough money off of the track to pay for all of the track expenses and the payments for the Cat. The Cat and the track are my hobbies that happen to pay for themselves.

My real job is divided between developing small subdivisions and a small manufacturing plant that makes institutional casework for commercial applications like schools, hospitals, and municipal buildings.

I will occasionally use the Cat when I need to clean up my building sites.

bobcat_ron
11-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Now that cab looks like an excavator cab.

Junior M
11-19-2008, 07:31 PM
If you have visibility problems now your blind! That would be a great idea if we had a cab, but working in the brush would either break it or scratch the h#ll out of it...

cddva
11-19-2008, 09:51 PM
"Best in Show". :rolleyes:

Dirtman2007
11-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I give you cradit, you take care of your equipment. I tried taking care of our skid steer but after the first few clearing jobs I just gave up. I think everyone that runs it now just tries to see how many scratches they can put on it. I can't say much though, it's paid for and is still making money. 1200 hours in just over 2 years, gob bless the poor sole that had to spend all those hours in it, good thing it was not me!

Wanna trade machines for a week, my guys will break it in. lol
They even managed to bend the sun visor on the thing:dizzy: And they wonder why I only run the dozer and excavators...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/Letsdig18/003-59.jpg

Gravel Rat
11-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Putting a steel commercial door in a sea can is easy enough to do. Many people around here are using them for storage etc. The dented shipping containers sell cheaper than the brand new ones.

The only thing is the can needs to be level and flat so the doors close properly. All 4 corners have to be equal.

Summit L & D
11-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Here's a redneck solution for not knowing how far to back into the container. Hang a tennis ball from the roof of the container and when you tap it backing in...you'll know to stop.

Gravel Rat
11-20-2008, 12:08 AM
A shipping can is only 8 feet inside. It would be tough to back that CTL into the can without hitting the walls with the tracks.

Junior M
11-20-2008, 07:09 AM
I've seen machines in worse condition dirtman..

Ccstrebe didn't you have the same thing on your case?

CarterKraft
11-20-2008, 09:11 AM
What did Empire say about the window mods?

I am the mod guru and I don't think I would go there without the great yellow fathers approval.

I do like it though.

ccstrebe
11-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks

They havn't seen it yet. There are only a couple of Cat skids in town and I got the first track unit they ever sold in Yuma so I don't even know if they would notice it and I'm not going to point it out. When I traded in the 450Ct they didn't even notice that I had done the same to it's ROPS.

I have to take it in today for a little warranty work so we will see if they say anything.

I know this is a controversial mod but I am not really using this machine the way most people do. I'm not around other equipment or hazzards and I'm the only one operating it. I rolled the 450CT once so I know what the limits are on theses machines and I stay away from those limits.

Scag48
11-20-2008, 01:52 PM
You rolled a machine once already and you're taking a chance of safety on the next machine? Dude you need to pull your head out of the sand. Knowing the limits of a machine isn't when you get to the point of actually pushing the limits of safety.

ccstrebe
11-20-2008, 03:12 PM
You rolled a machine once already and you're taking a chance of safety on the next machine? Dude you need to pull your head out of the sand. Knowing the limits of a machine isn't when you get to the point of actually pushing the limits of safety.

Well duuude, since the Case had my same infamous mod done to the rops, I am here to tell you that the rops was just fine, not a tweek or dent to it. I suspect the cage is more for keeping arms and bodies in the cab and foreign objects out of the cab than for structural purposes. If you look at how they are built, the cage part is welded in seperate of the actual roll cage part.

NHMan
11-20-2008, 03:23 PM
I would never buy a machine knowing someone had tampered with the ROPS.
JMO

bobcat_ron
11-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Well duuude, since the Case had my same infamous mod done to the rops, I am here to tell you that the rops was just fine, not a tweek or dent to it. I suspect the cage is more for keeping arms and bodies in the cab and foreign objects out of the cab than for structural purposes. If you look at how they are built, the cage part is welded in seperate of the actual roll cage part.

You know folks, ccstrebe is right, even mini excavators with open ROPS have no side screens, why? Because their work tools are always in front, not going up and down on the sides like a skid steer.

Junior M
11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
It is, you can actually unscrew it on the T190, you loosen 4, maybe more, screws slide it to the left and the actually cage part comes off..

bobcatexc
11-20-2008, 05:54 PM
I suspect the cage is more for keeping arms and bodies in the cab

You make this comment, but then you've said to experienced a roll over, but still go ahead with your modifications by removing the side screens.

I rolled over a Bobcat 743 on it's side years ago, I had the seat bar down, but no seat belt, guess where I landed, face and body up against the side screens. I know your the only one that runs this machine, but one little mistake like going backwards off the side of one of your motocross jumps and the machine tips over and glass breaks hope you don't get a arm or something pinned under the loader arm.

True Ron, Mini don't have screens, but I feel you can spin around to catch yourself or you can always bail off the machine, little harder to bail off skidsteer.

stuvecorp
11-20-2008, 08:21 PM

I still don't understand the caviler attitude that you have between the screens and towing, all we can hope is nothing ever happens.

cddva
11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Sounds alot like the attitude of motorcycle riders who don't wear a helmet. I guess if you know your never gonna crash, why would you want to be encumbered by safety gear, right? :rolleyes:

ksss
11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I have been saved numerous times by the cage. One time while loading demo a piece of metal pipe became tensioned somehow and slammed against the cage right by head. It hit hard enough to dent the cage. It would have hit me right in the head. Numerous timber clearing jobs has resulting in trees hitting the side of the cab. I would never take my cage off. As far as visibility, I don't even see the cage. Spend enough time in a machine and it just is.

As far as Ccstrebe, cutting his cage out, I wouldn't do it. The fact that he already has tipped one over is a little telling but, hey welcome to America. The cage obviously bothers him, you weigh the risk, and decide if the benefits outweigh the consequences. He believes its worth it. So be it.

Mr. Rain
11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Any dealer with a clue at all would nail you even more than a normal Cat MTL trade in if they'd even take it. Legally they'd have to replace the ROPS to resell that thing if it's been modified.

ccstrebe
11-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Any dealer with a clue at all would nail you even more than a normal Cat MTL trade in if they'd even take it. Legally they'd have to replace the ROPS to resell that thing if it's been modified.

You are correct. When I was considering a Series 3 Case they docked me 5 grand on the trade in value so that they could replace the rops.

It's a good thing that this Cat is a keeper.

Junior M
11-21-2008, 12:14 AM
You are correct. When I was considering a Series 3 Case they docked me 5 grand on the trade in value so that they could replace the rops.

It's a good thing that this Cat is a keeper.
Didnt you say that the Cat dealer didnt even notice it on your Case?

ccstrebe
11-21-2008, 12:15 AM
The cage obviously bothers him, you weigh the risk, and decide if the benefits outweigh the consequences. He believes its worth it. So be it.

You hit the nail on the head. If I was in conditions like you described then of course cutting the cage would not be an option.

tallrick
11-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Very nice fabrication, looks like a factory accessory. I cannot imagine what it's like to have a new machine, I always get to experience the aftermath of years of abuse.

ccstrebe
11-21-2008, 12:38 AM
I still don't understand the caviler attitude that you have between the screens and towing, all we can hope is nothing ever happens.

Cavalier

Haughty, disdainful, or supercilious: an arrogant and cavalier attitude toward others.

Sounds a little harsh but I supposed it could seem like that. I like to look at it this way: The cage bothers me and it is not practical for my use and conditions. I refuse to live my life in fear of that 1% chance of what might happen. I'll take the bet on the 99% that it wont happen and operate the machine with a clearer view. And since I plan on keeping this Cat for a very long time, I don't need to worry about trade-in value.

As far as my attitude on the towing.........I thought I conceded that one to you guys after Gravel Rat pointed out a minor detail that I never considered.

ccstrebe
11-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Sounds alot like the attitude of motorcycle riders who don't wear a helmet. I guess if you know your never gonna crash, why would you want to be encumbered by safety gear, right? :rolleyes:

Good thing I "suit up for the crash" when I ride.

ccstrebe
11-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Very nice fabrication, looks like a factory accessory. I cannot imagine what it's like to have a new machine, I always get to experience the aftermath of years of abuse.

Thank you, I appreciate your comments.

ccstrebe
11-21-2008, 01:07 AM
I just saw the spiderhoe thread. What an interesting machine. Did you notice there was no cage on the cab. I don't know about you guys but I'll take my chances with a rollover in my machine over that one any day of the week. Maybe you haters should go give him some smack talk about operating an unsafe machine.

Scag48
11-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Chances of rolling a spiderhoe: slim to none. Chances of rolling a skid steer: pretty damn good. You'd have to work hard to lay over a spiderhoe or even an excavator and if you accomplish that, you're an idiot. I understand the cage doesn't add much to the integrity of the ROPS itself. However, in a rollover, I'd like it to be there to keep me in the machine and foreign objects out. Even then, the stories KSSS explains become evident. I've never had anything slam into the cage, but I took a post the to cab door of the 277B we had. I was running a 78" grapple doing some clearing in an orchard. Some planting sytles have trellis systems that wire the trees up so they don't fall over. Posts hold that wire in place. Anyway, I managed, somehow, to get one to go right through the tines of the grapple, you'd never guess you could actually do that. Bam, into the Lexan, it would have injured me seriously or killed me had it gone through or had there not been a door there. I don't take chances with safety equipment.

NHMan
11-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I just saw the spiderhoe thread. What an interesting machine. Did you notice there was no cage on the cab. I don't know about you guys but I'll take my chances with a rollover in my machine over that one any day of the week. Maybe you haters should go give him some smack talk about operating an unsafe machine.

Will you disclose the removal of the cage to the next buyer, or next operator running the machine? Not trying to bust your peaches but accidents happen, people get hurt.

AintNoFun
11-21-2008, 12:11 PM
i got 4 put them together torched out the inner walls now i have a decent shop and it cost me only a few grand!

MackCat
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
CC Don`t the screens just simply unbolt? I was looking at mt cat and it looks like you could unbolt them and take them off.

CarterKraft
11-23-2008, 03:23 PM
you can take the windows out, or put them in a open rops machine but you can't remove the screens.

ksss
11-23-2008, 03:29 PM
you can take the windows out, or put them in a open rops machine but you can't remove the screens.

I am sure no OEM wants their customers taking off the expanded metal cage. You could bet that someone would find a way to lay liability at the foot of the OEM who allowed the cage to be removed. Now if you want to cut it out, thats all on you. You could always have a warning sticker posted inside the machine saying: "If this machine goes arse over tea kettle, please keep all body parts in side the machine until the vehicle ceases to move. You are then free to remove yourself and clean out your drawers."

minimax
11-23-2008, 09:20 PM
ccstrebe,I got thinking to night after I loaded my Deere ct322 in my dump trailer which is 76" inside the box and my CTL is 72" wide and I can back in there with no problem and I have yet to miss or bump the box backing in.Why can't you back that cat in a 8' foot wide sea can?

minimax

stuvecorp
11-23-2008, 10:21 PM
My trailer is 81ish" wide and the tracks are about 76" and I have mangled my fender acouple times backing on, can't feel it till the damage is done.:cry: Sometimes it is harder than it looks or I am just having a blonde day.

CC, I won't bust your chops any more about the cage. The fab work looks good. Even if you don't use it much at least you are spending money on equipment.

ccstrebe
11-24-2008, 08:56 AM
ccstrebe,I got thinking to night after I loaded my Deere ct322 in my dump trailer which is 76" inside the box and my CTL is 72" wide and I can back in there with no problem and I have yet to miss or bump the box backing in.Why can't you back that cat in a 8' foot wide sea can?

minimax

They are not 8ft on the inside, they are 8ft on the outside. With an 84" bucket I have about 2" clear on each side to get that bad boy in there. I have to be real slow and careful just going in forward. Of course I could take the bucket off every time and have more side to side clearance but I'm too lazy.

The problem with backing in is that you have no reference point for lining up the back of the MTL with the opening of the box. You only have 4 or 5 inches on each side for clearance.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 09:02 AM
They are not 8ft on the inside, they are 8ft on the outside. With an 84" bucket I have about 2" clear on each side to get that bad boy in there. I have to be real slow and careful just going in forward. Of course I could take the bucket off every time and have more side to side clearance but I'm too lazy.

The problem with backing in is that you have no reference point for lining up the back of the MTL with the opening of the box. You only have 4 or 5 inches on each side for clearance.
To lazy?? You have quick tach, all you do is push a button and drop the bucket off and drive off, there is no manual labor involved, unless your running that crazy bucket/grapple thingy you got and you have to unhook the hydraulics but that only takes a sec and you dont have to get off the machine to do it, just open the door, lean out and do what you got to do..

Stuvecorp, thats one reason I got a deckover, no fenders to screw up, but you do take the chance of rolling off the side ;) but just go straight back and you dont have a worry in the world..

bobcat_ron
11-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Another bonus to having it drive in forward is checking the fluids and doing an oil change under a roof, you don't need to climb over the machine when it's parked backwards to check the engine oil, only to find out it's too dark inside.

ccstrebe
11-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Another bonus to having it drive in forward is checking the fluids and doing an oil change under a roof, you don't need to climb over the machine when it's parked backwards to check the engine oil, only to find out it's too dark inside.

Actually, I do check my fluids before climbing over and getting in. Also, and this happened to me with the Case. If the battery was to go dead, the access to jump start it is right there when you open the doors to the container.

ksss
11-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Actually, I do check my fluids before climbing over and getting in. Also, and this happened to me with the Case. If the battery was to go dead, the access to jump start it is right there when you open the doors to the container.

I don't intend this to be a smart ass comment, but I have a way with words. Why don't you just build a shop. I suggest building it big enough to get a new Duramax inside along with the CAT. Then nobody will give sh!t over pulling with a F150. Perhaps then we can put to rest the advantages and disadvantages of backing into a ConEx box.:clapping:

Scag48
11-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Yeah, KSSS is fairly convincing. My old man is driving a new Duramax thanks to his advice. Now I'm shopping for another skid for my dad and it just may be a, wait, gasp...Power Tan

Junior M
11-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, KSSS is fairly convincing. My old man is driving a new Duramax thanks to his advice. Now I'm shopping for another skid for my dad and it just may be a, wait, gasp...Power Tan
Wooo! Are you serious? why not stay with Cat? or is your dad goin to get whatever he can get the best price on?

cddva
11-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't intend this to be a smart ass comment, but I have a way with words. Why don't you just build a shop. I suggest building it big enough to get a new Duramax inside along with the CAT. Then nobody will give sh!t over pulling with a F150. Perhaps then we can put to rest the advantages and disadvantages of backing into a ConEx box.:clapping:

I second the motion!

ksss
11-24-2008, 09:50 PM

Just for the record Scag, I wasn't going to say anything.:laugh:

Ah Junior, if you think used CASE skid steers are cheap you need to rethink your position. I went through most every site I know, and the resale value on the 95XT/465 machines surprised even me.

Scag48
11-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Wooo! Are you serious? why not stay with Cat? or is your dad goin to get whatever he can get the best price on?

Cat doesn't produce anything he needs. He needs a machine that lifts, Cat doesn't make one worth a damn. Without getting into a C series machine, which I have quite a few opinions on, the only real option is a 246B and they're a gutless wonder. On paper, they should do well, but he rented one for a month last year and it sucked. 78 horses and it was gutless, I never understood that since the same engine was in the the 277B and it put down way more power, regardless of tracks.

The 262B might do the trick, he may settle for that, but they're an awfully awkward machine. I can't stand Cat's vertical lift machines.

With all that's left, Case is the only other brand I will even consider. Deere is a long shot possibility, but a salesman would really, really have to talk me into one. Bobcat is even further than Deere, I really don't like them, but it won't be my machine. I'd buy a Case 465 tomorrow if it was my money. We're looking for used equipment, might trade in the 216, might keep it. Just looking at options right now.

ccstrebe
11-24-2008, 09:54 PM

That is a legitimate suggestion. A couple of reasons why not:

1. No room.
2. I have too much money sunk into this track already.
3. The track is in the middle of farm fields with nobody around to watch the place. If I had a building, I think the bad sort of people would break in thinking something of value would be inside, whereas with a ConEx box, who would think that there would be a tractor inside.
4. I don't even know if the zoning would allow me to do it.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Ah Junior, if you think used CASE skid steers are cheap you need to rethink your position. I went through most every site I know, and the resale value on the 95XT/465 machines surprised even me.
I know they arent, there are alot used case skidsteers here for cheap, but to get anything decent he's going to spend some more coin, I wasnt saying that Case was the cheapest out there I was just asking if he was going to, Now that I have read backover what I wrote it does sound like I am saying that.. Sorry for the confusion..

Scag48
11-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Can't argue with a guy that has owned 15+ Case skids and actually demo's outside Case when buying new. That says a lot. I'm still shopping around.

ksss
11-24-2008, 10:04 PM
That is a legitimate suggestion. A couple of reasons why not:

1. No room.
2. I have too much money sunk into this track already.
3. The track is in the middle of farm fields with nobody around to watch the place. If I had a building, I think the bad sort of people would break in thinking something of value would be inside, whereas with a ConEx box, who would think that there would be a tractor inside.
4. I don't even know if the zoning would allow me to do it.

I guess I didn't realize that the machine sits at the track. I assumed it was at your house. What about the new Duramax, you did not address that?:laugh: Then you could keep the CAT at your place and pull it to the track when you need it.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Gotta give credit where credit is due. Can't argue with a guy that has owned 15+ Case skids and actually demo's outside Case when buying new. That says a lot. I'm still shopping around.
Your right, he even demo'd Bobcat, which most guys wont even do..

Scag48
11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah, but I still like giving him sh!t about Case's mailbox flag on the excavators. Speaking of which, I may have found a CX160 with super low hours for you, Kaiser.

Junior M
11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but I still like giving him sh!t about Case's mailbox flag on the excavators. Speaking of which, I may have found a CX160 with super low hours for you, Kaiser.
I just like giving him crap about anything, especially power crap :laugh:

ccstrebe
11-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I guess I didn't realize that the machine sits at the track. I assumed it was at your house. What about the new Duramax, you did not address that?:laugh: Then you could keep the CAT at your place and pull it to the track when you need it.

If you look at the third picture at the track website you will see the ConEx container behind the Case that I keep it in. There is no way I could tow that thing every weekend with that F150.

I am keeping an eye out for something used now that the prices are starting to fall. I'm waiting for someone desperate to sell at a rockbottom price.

stuvecorp
11-24-2008, 11:06 PM

Just so you know Scag, the Kobelco's is steel unlike the Case's plastic.:laugh:

Scag48
11-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Just so you know Scag, the Kobelco's is steel unlike the Case's plastic.:laugh:

For real, Cat's used to be steel. The new D's are rubber, but not plastic.

ksss
11-24-2008, 11:20 PM
For real, Cat's used to be steel. The new D's are rubber, but not plastic.

Boys I think were splitting hairs are we not? Plastic is much like rubber. Stevecorp, my '99 has a metal lever as well. :cool2:

Is the CASE 160 cheap. I may have a line on a great deal on a B series. Guy here wants to move up from his 160 to a 240. A lot of positive comments about the B series machine. I would like to get a better feel for Spring before I quadruple my monthly payments.

ksss
11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I just like giving him crap about anything, especially power crap :laugh:

Some day Jr. when your running your own operation, you will see what puts money in your account. Perhaps then you will see that running Power Tan skid steers makes you more money, through increased productivity and less down time when you own them, and solid resale value when you trade or sell. This is an advanced lesson in business, I realize it is much above your 6th grade SC, Pine league education but when Ernie retires its on you Jr. You might want to get smarter while you have time.:laugh:

Scag48
11-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Boys I think were splitting hairs are we not? Plastic is much like rubber. Stevecorp, my '99 has a metal lever as well. :cool2:

Is the CASE 160 cheap. I may have a line on a great deal on a B series. Guy here wants to move up from his 160 to a 240. A lot of positive comments about the B series machine. I would like to get a better feel for Spring before I quadruple my monthly payments.

Well, I think it's cheap for what it is. I haven't found anything in the $50K range, it'll be 2 more months into the winter and everyone will be unloading iron. I found an '05 CX160, 36" bucket, PSM link thumb with 800 hours for $90K I think it was. I did find another which is an '04 for $66K but it's running at 5,100 hours. There's another '04 with 3,600 hours on it for $71K. They need to come off their high horse with the price. After all, these are Case and not Cat hoes. :laugh:

I did read in the Cat flyer this month there was an '05 I believe it was 315CL, thumb, coupler, whole 9 yards with 2,800 hours for $90K I think, not a bad deal for a Cat.

stuvecorp
11-24-2008, 11:44 PM
I would like to find a hyd. thumb for the Kobelco as I won't be upgrading for a long time.:nono:

I find the plastic mailbox fixation kinda funny.

Junior M
11-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Some day Jr. when your running your own operation, you will see what puts money in your account. Perhaps then you will see that running Power Tan skid steers makes you more money, through increased productivity and less down time when you own them, and solid resale value when you trade or sell. This is an advanced lesson in business, I realize it is much above your 6th grade SC, Pine league education but when Ernie retires its on you Jr. You might want to get smarter while you have time.:laugh:
On a serious note I have been talking to dad about demoing another brand! and yes we will look at Case, if I can get him that far, I have him convinced to atleast look at Cat.. :clapping:

bobcat_ron
11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Building a shop to store the skid steer is a waste of money, if you move, how easy is it to take that fancy shop with you? Possible, yes. But worth it? Not really. A sea can is much better, fire proof, insect proof and it can be loaded on the back of a flat deck towing/recovery truck or a trailer like mine and taken anywhere, that's the theory I have behind buying a used 20 footer and a 8 foot can for the fuel tanks. Portability.

Scag48
11-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Ron, you should buy another 20 footer and let GR move in. That way, if he goes to work for Kiewit, they'll just grab the whole can and ship him out. :laugh:

bobcat_ron
11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Ron, you should buy another 20 footer and let GR move in. That way, if he goes to work for Kiewit, they'll just grab the whole can and ship him out. :laugh:

But they might drop it off the barge and it would be at the bottom of the ocean, that would be.............bad.

CAT powered
11-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Yea and if you just use sea cans they're nice and portable so I can roll right up with a Landoll trailer and winch your whole setup right on and be gone before you know what happened. There goes the whole shop with equipment and fuel tanks.

bobcat_ron
11-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Yea and if you just use sea cans they're nice and portable so I can roll right up with a Landoll trailer and winch your whole setup right on and be gone before you know what happened. There goes the whole shop with equipment and fuel tanks.

Sweet! I'll track you with the GPS system I would weld in place underneath with a 12 hour battery back up system. :laugh:

stuvecorp
11-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Hey, bring back my house!

ksss
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Building a shop to store the skid steer is a waste of money, if you move, how easy is it to take that fancy shop with you? Possible, yes. But worth it? Not really. A sea can is much better, fire proof, insect proof and it can be loaded on the back of a flat deck towing/recovery truck or a trailer like mine and taken anywhere, that's the theory I have behind buying a used 20 footer and a 8 foot can for the fuel tanks. Portability.

Only someone living with there parents would think this way.:laugh: The rest of us don't just pickup and move. If you do the building is asset that appreciates as does a house. You get your investment back and then some.

A ConEx box is better than a shop. There is a reason they call it dope. Just say no.

bobcat_ron
11-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Only someone living with there parents would think this way.:laugh: The rest of us don't just pickup and move. If you do the building is asset that appreciates as does a house. You get your investment back and then some.

A ConEx box is better than a shop. There is a reason they call it dope. Just say no.

It's a hassle building a small 500 square foot shop when you don't know the people next to you or if you are cash strapped and there's possibility of bringing $10,000+ worth of fill to get the foundations high enough, give me a sea can with a nice cedar shingled roof on it, that looks my-T-purdy to me.

CarterKraft
11-26-2008, 09:25 AM
I have a real reason not to build a shop...

I built a 30' X 40' recently with a loft storage area. You can not put anything in there without moving something else, race car is in the way, lawnmowers take up too much room, then theres the jet ski, next to the mini chopper, the steam cleaner seems to always be in the wrong place, toolbox has wheels but the trencher has to be moved first, on and on and on.

I am thinking about getting a tuna can for all that crap so I can actually do some work in there. LOL

ksss
11-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I have a real reason not to build a shop...

I built a 30' X 40' recently with a loft storage area. You can not put anything in there without moving something else, race car is in the way, lawnmowers take up too much room, then theres the jet ski, next to the mini chopper, the steam cleaner seems to always be in the wrong place, toolbox has wheels but the trencher has to be moved first, on and on and on.

I am thinking about getting a tuna can for all that crap so I can actually do some work in there. LOL

That makes more sense. I don't think you can build a shop big enough. The bigger they are the more stuff you find to put in it.