PDA

View Full Version : radios in equipment

westcoh
11-19-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm looking to install a radio in my skid-steer and I'm just tryin to figure out the best way to do it. Anyone here have pics of how they have theirs set-up? What do you find works the best, speakers in the cab or just headphones? And any suggestions on what a good brand as far as durability goes would be helpful.

ccstrebe
11-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Try this thread about halfway through.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=248108&highlight=radio

YellowDogSVC
11-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I just use a portable XM and headphones. I always get reception unless i'm in a parking garage and the music channels have no commercials.

Junior M
11-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Our Bobcat dealer sells those Jensen radios, the same one ccstrebe has, for skidsteers, and excavators, there not all that expensive. But a radio gets boring after a while I think I would go with the XM or sirius radio..

westcoh
11-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I do like the satellite radio idea, as I already have it in my truck. Anyone know if it's possible to get another radio without having to pay for another subscription?

Junior M
11-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I know of a guy that has one, its sirius radio, but his is portable, he drives truck, so he can just switch it out between his trucks, he just stuck the antenna on the roof like a little CB radio antenna and then plugged it into the cigarette lighter. I believe thats how it worked, I havent been in his truck in a while...

amscapes03
11-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Is your radio built into the dash, or portable? Each individual radio has it's own ID which is assigned an account number. If yours is portable you'll only need to get a docking kit.

doubleedge
11-19-2008, 11:08 PM
I do like the satellite radio idea, as I already have it in my truck. Anyone know if it's possible to get another radio without having to pay for another subscription?

I think it only costs a few dollars a month extra for each additional radio that you get.

Stick Pro
11-20-2008, 12:06 AM
i have a serious reciever in my 287b and when i drive my truck all i do is take the reciever out of the car dock and put it in my truck that way i dont have to pay for two recievers

Gravel Rat
11-20-2008, 12:30 AM
If you have Sirius check the website to see if there is any deals. I have the model that came with a antenee for the truck and one for the house. I rarely use the receiver in the house but its always in my truck. At work I tune the radio into 88.1 in the office and listen to channel 61.

Your still going to need a radio of some sort in the skid steer unless you get a portable player.

Off to radio shack or cambodian tire to pick up a decent radio. Build a mounting box out of aluminum or steel. Bolt the mounting box to a convenient area.

What the guys in the gravel mines do is have a Sirius reciever and a antnee and move it to what ever machine they are running that day. Most wheel loaders or ADTs have radios. Tune the radio to 88.1 and listen to the sat radio.

Scag48
11-20-2008, 02:16 AM
I wouldn't guess you for a country music guy, GR.

My dad bought a Sirius reciever for his truck 3 years ago. Now his new truck has XM, but they're pretty much merged now so the channels are pretty much the same.

I like satellite radio, great idea, but some stations still do that stupid DJ crap in the mornings and talk for about 5 minutes instead of playing music. I think that's BS since you're PAYING for this radio. Cut the talk, play the music unless you're on a talk radio station. That's my only gripe.

YellowDogSVC
11-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I bought an extra radio for $20 at walmart and pay the family plan extra of $7 a month for extra radio. It is very much worth it. I can listen to whatever I want and I have my "shows". Helps the day go by.

the little magnet antennae works great and holds up in the woods. suction cups hold the radio. It's lightweight and easy to use. Some have remotes but I don't use it. The newer radios have MP3 playback, recording, etc. so you can record shows or music.

YellowDogSVC
11-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Oh another thing. When you buy a radio it will usually come with a house antennae. I found that the larger home use antennae works great on the dash of the truck or in my bobcat or toolcat too. It doesn't have a magnet but double sided tape and the extra large surface for catching the signal allow it to work from inside the cab at almost all angle and especially better when at fuel stations with overhangs. I save the magnet smaller antennae for use on the machines.

bobcat_ron
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Mine still makes my ear drums bleed....Cat Yellow Blood.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures263.jpg

The antenna is now mounted upside down under the top of the cab:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures265.jpg

Junior M
11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Mine still makes my ear drums bleed....Cat Yellow Blood.

The antenna is now mounted upside down under the top of the cab:

Ron your radio is the same one that was in the CAT 430D backhoe I ran this summer, except for the speakers were made into the upperdash..

bobcat_ron
11-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah I know, Cat uses Panasonic radio systems in a lot of their equipment, and we have all Panasonic with XM Sat's in our Cat's and dozers.

Gravel Rat
11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Ron needs good speakers to let the Punjabi music play nice and loud. You know eventually he is going to grease up his hair and wrap it in cloth :laugh:

bobcat_ron
11-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Ron needs good speakers to let the Punjabi music play nice and loud. You know eventually he is going to grease up his hair and wrap it in cloth :laugh:

Then I can get me a nice East Indian woman and go git some Kama Sutra lovin'.