PDA

View Full Version : Critique.

Turfdoctor1
11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
I have decided to use a company called neighborhood direct to distribute my door hangers next season. I will be included with ~15 other businesses on one door hanger, and there will be 180,000 of these things going out from Jan-June. All will be going to middle/upper class subdivisions.

I have to include a coupon, and that does not leave a lot of room. Do you think this coupon differentiates me from my competitors? What changes would you make? Is the coupon about right? I can think of a lot of changes, unfortunately, not enough room to make them.

Generally people call me for one of a few reasons: (1) i'm smaller than the big guys, so they think they can trust me (2) most of my advertising plays up my education and experience (3) most of my direct advertising has prices, so often I get calls from people who are paying a few dollars more than my price quotes.

Thank you for any advice.

josh

Scagguy
11-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I would do black and green colors instead of white and green on the coupon side only. I believe it would show up a little better. Other than that, looks good to me.

Turfdoctor1
11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
thanks scagguy.

i have edited some of the grammar errors and made a few content changes. I'm basically wondering if this little coupon gets the point across.

Scagguy
11-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I've seen the type of of door hangers you're speaking of. The ones I've seen looked nice. At a 1% responce rate, you ought to be busy. Good luck!!

DLAWNS
11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I think it looks awesome. Besides your own personal preferences I wouldn't change a thing. I love the green and white because those are my colors also. I also do like the idea of black and green, too. That's your call. By the way do you have any other info about this company, pricing etc?

OsbornLawnMaintenance
11-21-2008, 12:27 AM
I would put on the coupon "limited one coupon per customer" or something along those lines because it looks like if the person got both of those coupons they would want 25% off their first job and then 10% off year round service. Unless this is what you intended, you should protect yourself from those penny pinchers.

Turfdoctor1
11-21-2008, 09:37 AM
I would put on the coupon "limited one coupon per customer" or something along those lines because it looks like if the person got both of those coupons they would want 25% off their first job and then 10% off year round service. Unless this is what you intended, you should protect yourself from those penny pinchers.

This is a very good point. I've actually run into this before with similar offers. I'm also not real excited about these being delivered to my current customers.

Thank you guys for the very encouraging feedback. I was not expecting that. I was expecting to get hammered. I'm glad you like it.

DLAWNS. The company I am using is called Neighborhood Direct, but they are local. There are similar companies around the country. I searched a ton of them trying to research whether or not this will be a good advertising source. They are not that easy to find, honestly. Try searching door to door advertising with yellowpages.com in your area if you are interested.

I paid $279/zone/month. 7500 door hangers are delivered per zone, and I had to buy two months at a time (jan/feb, mar/apr, may/june). Feb-May is what I wanted, so I got them to give me may/june for free. So, I bought 4 zones for 6 months, but only paid for 4 months. My cost was $4500, for a total of 180,000 of these things. That's 2.5 cents per home. Plus, it's exclusive. So, they won't allow another lawn guy on there.

I hope I don't get 1% return. that would be aweful, because I couldn't handle it. I'm hoping for 0.1%-0.2%, but really have no idea what to expect. It makes me nervous, because i think this could be boom or bust. I've spent most of my advertising budget on this, so no direct mailer.

Thanks guys.

OsbornLawnMaintenance
11-21-2008, 12:42 PM
If my math is correct, with 180,000 coupons at 0.1 return rate then that is 180 jobs at an average of $50 a job you could make $9000 minus the cost for the advertising you get $4500 profit. That's a 50% profit margin! Although that margin will be a little smaller because of other cost like gas, labor, etc. Just try to get an average of $50 per job and you will be doing good.

SLC, LLC
11-21-2008, 01:37 PM
You spelled "From" incorrectly. Looks great though.

Turfdoctor1
11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
You spelled "From" incorrectly. Looks great though.

thanks, it's corrected now. designer actually caught it before i had to point it out to him.

Turfdoctor1
11-21-2008, 02:08 PM
If my math is correct, with 180,000 coupons at 0.1 return rate then that is 180 jobs at an average of $50 a job you could make $9000 minus the cost for the advertising you get $4500 profit. That's a 50% profit margin! Although that margin will be a little smaller because of other cost like gas, labor, etc. Just try to get an average of $50 per job and you will be doing good.

180 new accounts would probably be on the $30 K profit range, after all costs. That would be 180 accounts, six applications per year, at an average of $50 per application and a 50% profit margin.