PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in an accountant?

shovelracer
11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Bottom line is I dont trust my accountant anymore. I use him cause he was a family friend, but he and my father had a falling out over a real estate deal. I used him, he used me. I wasnt making what I needed to years ago, and he never told me cause he didnt want his prices to go up. I figured it out and raised the prices. He complained the first raised year, then dropped me the next. My preparation fees went from $200 to $650 with no change in amount of paperwork. I never complained once and still used him. Never got any sort of breaks aside from the most standard deductions. He played it very safe.

Flash forward to this year. He asked me to bid on the complex which he owns an office in. I did. He held onto it till the deadline and when I called he proceeded to argue with me that my price was too high so he never turned it in cause he felt it would make him look bad. Turns out the guy he found for his yard also bid 1/3 the price I did for the complex. Here's the kicker. I also have maintained a large medical complex for 5 years. Never so much as a question about anything. The administration office is in this guys building. He found out about it and guess who is going to take over the medical too. I think it is more than coincidence.

So I'm looking for a new accountant/enrolled agent. What should I look for in the new one? What kind of questions should I ask? What should I expect from them? Thanks

Fvstringpicker
11-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Check out the entire brochure.

http://www.aicpa.org/cpamarketing/downloads/GuideToCPAServices_LR.pdf

juspayme
12-03-2008, 06:02 AM
i went to school to be a cpa. wasnt happy. i love what i do

hire someone OVER 40 YEARS OLD!. jr or young accountants are not experienced enough. this is your taxes your dealing with. the irs! its not baking an apple pie. you cant afford to screw this up.

hire someone who does other lcos/ he or she will understand the industry and get you the best returns.

bobcatnj
12-03-2008, 08:33 AM
i'm looking for a new one this year also. must be a bunch of winners in nj