PDA

View Full Version : sales motivation, etc.

irrig8r
11-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Another contractor friend recommends a book that looks good by Jeffrey Gitomer called "Customer Satisfaction Is Worthless, Customer Loyalty Is Priceless".

My local Borders store had 4 other titles by him, but not that one, so I had to order a copy through the guy's website.

http://www.gitomer.com/

He seems to know what he's talking about.

Who do you pay attention to for sales and marketing ideas? (Besides Nate Mullen I mean.... :) )

NightScenes
11-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Doesn't customer satisfaction build customer loyalty?

irrig8r
11-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Doesn't customer satisfaction build customer loyalty?

I think what he's saying is customer satisfaction isn't enough, and a loyal customer is worth more than one who is just satisfied... partly just semantics, but I think a valid point too... I guess it depends on how you define "satisfaction".

Over 10 years ago when I was still doing landscape maintenance, I lost customers here and there who were satisfied with our service, but didn't like our price. Some of them came back after bad experiences with the cheaper competition... Some are probably still shopping for the best deal today.... :laugh:

I'm loyal to Nightscaping (for the most part) even when they slip up on an order from time to time. I might not be satisfied at that particular moment/ in the short run, but I'm satisfied overall/ loyal in the long run...

Maybe too hard to explain...

Anyway, I picked up the book at a well stocked B and N store about an hour ago because it was in between two customer sites.

Check out the website though.

Two others authors I like are:

Jay Conrad Levinson ("Guerilla Marketing", etc.) http://www.gmarketing.com/

Seth Godin ("Purple Cow", etc.) http://sethgodin.typepad.com/

David Gretzmier
11-25-2008, 06:42 AM
I love seth's stuff as well. it is true, the loyal customer is worth more than the satisfied one. The loyal one continues to buy from you. They overlook your mistakes. Although I try to satisfy everyones wants, I am human and make mistakes. Customer satisfaction is important, but building loyalty makes more business sense.

Az Gardener
11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
I work with a former E myth coach and we were talking about this just last week. I stress to my guys that relationships with the clients is every bit as important as doing a great job. My guys are all very personable and we try to see the clients ever visit just to let them know we are there and see if they have any special requests for the week. I do a monthly newsletter and and do frequent e mails to communicate little things that come up so our clients are in the loop so to speak. Yet I still loose clients from time to time.

I went back a ways and analyzed the the clients that I had lost. What I found was that in some cases we were cultivating the relationship with the wrong person. Not much we can do when the owner relegates us to communicate with a personal assistant rather than dealing directly with us.

The other thing we determined is not all people value the relationship or to use your term are not loyal, It is more like what have you done for me lately.

So my coach positioned it as they were not "my" type of customer and were a bad fit for our company. What he suggested is that there should be a marketing component that stresses our relationship. Next I should figure out a way to determine early if prospective client values the relationship or is just in it for the service.

My theory is I will take all the clients I can get and worry later if they value the relationship. My thought is as long as they are current with the payments I am not going to decline or dump a client because they don't see value in a particular part of my service. I just need to realize that this may be a short term client. I have no problem with that.