PDA

View Full Version : No one can complain about lowballers more than me..

hotrod1965
11-20-2008, 04:54 PM
This from the detroit craigslist..

"Hello
My name is Ryan and I am offering my services to put up your christmas display at your home or bussiness I bring all tools that is needed and you just supply your decorations, You tell me what you want and thats what you will get and I even come back and take down and put away I charge $25.00 a home, bigger displays run a little more feel free to e-mail me or call 810-410-XXXX."

hotrod1965
11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
and another....

"We can put up your Christmas Lights! Don't risk hurting yourself!! -Let our climbing monkeys string up your Holiday Cheer.

Great Low Prices, make us an offer!

Rapid Same Day Response.

2 man crew can do it today, or we can schedule a mutually convenient appointment.

Please Call Chris 313-989-xxxx

MJS
11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Wow dude, wow. The only place I ever put up Christmas lights for $25 was my grandparents' house. . .

Do you do holiday lighting setup/take down?

hotrod1965
11-20-2008, 07:06 PM
We are a full service company, also a lighting retailer.

I sell one strand of lights for $25... There are a ton of guys around here that pull this crap!

umpire
11-20-2008, 07:07 PM
We hang/install all Christmas lights and decorations.We can even provide the lights. $50.00 minimum. CALL 770 279 xxxx

TXNSLighting
11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Need help putting up your Christmas lights and/or decorations? I am a licensed electrician and will do both starting at $75. Call Brandon

I just found this one...Lovely...

TXNSLighting
11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Man i found way to many to post on here...What a shame.

David Gretzmier
11-20-2008, 11:29 PM
There seems to be a lowballer cycle. they get lots of work, go broke, go out of business. Customer gets upset and calls you. asks what planet are you from for charging more than the guy that went bankrupt. they hire another lowballer. lowballer gets lots of work, repeat.

The sad thing is I rarely am able to convert a customer over to the profitable side of this business once they have had a crazy cheap person. They poison and unprofessionalize the business.

turf hokie
11-21-2008, 06:48 AM
The sad thing is I rarely am able to convert a customer over to the profitable side of this business once they have had a crazy cheap person. They poison and unprofessionalize the business.

Tell me about it. Ran into this when giving a quote a couple of weeks ago.
All LED lights
350 c-9 on roof
48" wreath
48" Star
Garland on door
Swags on Sconces
3 large shrubs
Installed, maintained, removed, stored.
$900 and she refused to pay more.

Funny thing is, she fired the last company b/c they left exposed wires after the install, refused to service it b/c it was an "internal electrical issue, you should get an electrician" and NOT their lights, and never removed the lights at the end of the season. I saw where she tried to get the lights down and all the exposed wires, it was a mess.

BUT she hung up on me during the follow up call when I refused to match this idiots price.

hotrod1965
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Tell me about it. Ran into this when giving a quote a couple of weeks ago.
All LED lights
350 c-9 on roof
48" wreath
48" Star
Garland on door
Swags on Sconces
3 large shrubs
Installed, maintained, removed, stored.
$900 and she refused to pay more.

Funny thing is, she fired the last company b/c they left exposed wires after the install, refused to service it b/c it was an "internal electrical issue, you should get an electrician" and NOT their lights, and never removed the lights at the end of the season. I saw where she tried to get the lights down and all the exposed wires, it was a mess.

BUT she hung up on me during the follow up call when I refused to match this idiots price.

I always get a kick out of how people don't get that you "get what you pay for".

I did convert one company over this year from a bad experience from a low baller.. but mostly Dave is right, they just don't learn thier lesson!

NightLightingFX
11-22-2008, 01:42 PM
As far as I am concerned the lowballers can have all the business they can get. I don't want any of their customers anyway. If I am going to do a holiday lighting job I am going to get paid well for it, or I won't EVEN consider it. Holiday lighting is too much work for chump change. I don't bargan with my customers. I tell inquiries, "The minimum cost for a Holiday Lighting job is $1,000 - $1,500." Take it or leave it.

This is my third year of Holiday Lighting. My goal is to grow slow with quality accounts, and to be recognized for a higher level of work. Also I focus on commercial accounts - I can make sales calls and not waste money on marketing that competes with lowballers.
~Ned

David Gretzmier
11-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm always careful with quoting minimums on the phone. I've found that if I give a range of the cost of my services, I say- "some customers just have us hang wreaths, and it costs them 2-300 per year, and some displays are elaborate, 2-4k, sometimes 10k per year and more, but it all depends on how much product it takes to make your house look awesome". My experience is if I can get in front of folks they will get to know me and trust me, and I can close 1 out of 3 folks on a 3000 average first year home cost, with closing anywhere from 25-40 new customers per year in the past 4 years. when I quoted minimums on the phone four and plus years ago, I am certain I scared off folks who would of bought from me had I gave a range like I do now. I only picked up 10-20 new customers per year in those days, but then it was mostly just myself and a helper.

socallawndude
11-26-2008, 01:24 AM
What was the first guys full number? All jokes aside I'm in so cal and believe me it's even worse, hell we have guys out here that hold signs pimping themselves out

hotrod1965
11-27-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm sure you can go to craigslist in any city and find similar ads.

umpire
11-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Time to decorate .Hi im bruce.i want to take the chore or the risk out of putting up your lights.Is your roof high.Is that ladder getting heavy.Chevy Chase can fall off that ladder and not get hurt hes an actor.If you fall you cant work .You might even get killed.let me climb the ladder
licensed Insured we will do the job fast affordable and we are very reliable
Ill do half the work light/ladder work or we will design the whole house.
Icycle light 150.00 whole house
Yard lights everything else 50.00
Lights and cords extra Give me a call 678-910-xxxx thank you bruce

David Gretzmier
11-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I had a lowballer storm through a 400k plus neighborhood and hit 3 houses, 2 of which I had bid. after explaining all the benefits of the lightlink system for icicles, you know, no flip ups, no 1/3 of the strands out , not twisted wire, and they actually look like icicles, repairable, warranty, etc, three folks in a row went with the walmart icicle guy. and how do these 400-600k homes look? garland that looks like a muppets scarf around posts, icicles that are twisted, 1/3 out, flipped up on the roof, see through wreaths, and an incredible over all tackiness that is stunning. cords everywhere.

How is it that folks who drive an $80,000 SUV, wear $1000 suits and drop 100bucks plus to eat out buy cheap lights and cannot see it? we do 11 homes in this neighborhood that are straight, sharp, classy and ready for photo's in architectural digest. I can handle folks making uninformed decisions. But to make poor choices given proper information and referances, that's just dumb.

turf hokie
11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=David Gretzmier;2624299] and how do these 400-600k homes look? garland that looks like a muppets scarf around posts,
QUOTE]

Almost spit out my beer, muppet scarf:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Can I use that during my sales presentation?

hotrod1965
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I thought that was pretty funny too!

David Gretzmier
12-04-2008, 08:32 PM
The funny thing is I use that term during my sales presentation. nearly everyone thinks of garland from walmart and they get the visual when you say a muppet scarf. Then I pull out my garland, and of course, it's wide, heavy, huge...impressive.

turf hokie
12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
...............and I just realized why (yes I am a little slow) everyone thinks that the material does not cost us anything. And why they think I am crazy when I give them prices.

Lowes put all of their holiday stuff on sale this week, 100 count strand of lights for $1.20. 50 count strand $.99. Had prospect tell me she would go to lowes, buy 2000 lights for $30 and pay me $50 to put them in. She thought I was obnoxious when I told that I dont hang homeowner lights but given the economy I could do it for $400.

David Gretzmier
12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
if the economy and building trade is slow for the next few years, you will see more upper class folks by-passing Christmas light folks and doing exactly this. I would expect to see more roofers, framers, carpenters, painters, and other guys that did general construction work offer themselves to homeowners for Christmas lights for 20-25 bucks per hour. the customer buys the lights and then the guys go to work.

I did a home in a very exclusive community a week or so back and this was the case. They hired me to do all 4 sides of the home with c-9's, and we had 4 outlets put in and did an awesome job. 6 foot wreath at the peak/entry. but while we were there, some folks were putting out mini-lights in the large shrubs and trees. They were putting out tens of thousands of them. and when they were done it looked amazing. On 10-12 foot holley trees that I would have put 1500 or so, they were easily double and triple that. These folks obviously were working by the hour, taking thier time and may have even been employees of this particular person. They knew what they were doing. I am guessing they put out 20,000 lights or so, and it took 3 guys 2 days to do it. probably at a cost of 12-20 per man per hour. so lets say 1000 in labor and maybe 500 in lights and cords. had I duplicated that effect, I would have charged 5500 or so.

Why in the world would a wealthy homeowner pay me 27.50 per 100 strand of mini lights when they could get the same effect for 1/3-1/4 the cost or less?

I think the future of this business is to offer products that the construction folks are not going to have. When I show up with a 9 foot strand of noble mixed garland on the bid, and they see the 4 foot wreath I bring, wealthy folks get me. I bring a few feet of white spt-2 c-9 cord AND 20 guage walmart cord and show them the difference in insulation thickness and wire. I have a blizzard light link in my hand when I ring the door bell, and have the wreath and garland set out on the front porch beside me. the c-9 cords are in my jacket pocket.

I have testimonials in my bid packet from folks who live in thier neighborhood. They say things like, "Dave is expensive but worth it", " David has been my light guy for 7 years now" etc.

If I can get in front of folks for 30 minutes they will KNOW I am the guy they want. they may not hire me because of price, but they will always know they did not hire the best. the customers I want are the ones that want the best and are willing to pay for it.

i honestly cannot see a future in this business doing it any other way. In Lean times, it will be the wealthy folks who still have money. In good times, they have more. trying to hang with the lowballers in an exercise towards bankrupcy.